1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which order ... HS50,H57,Z3,HS20,AE700,4805,H30,Z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xaser1066, Nov 6, 2004.

1. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, sorry about this ... but myself and possibly a number of other people out there just don't know what to spend our money (£1500 +- £500) on. So I have picked a number of PJs and would like people to arrange them in the order they see fit. Please add any others. From what I have read on this site my order (first is best) is as follows (maybe complete rubbish)....

HS50 - based on spec/foreign reviews etc. Could well change when we see it.
    H57 - seen this myself - very good.
    Z3
    HS20 - seen this myself - not as contrastly as H57 - very good also.
    AE700
    4805 - seen this myself - good but low res make image appear more blockly
    H30
    Z2

Reorder and add please...

2. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got to be Z3 first for value.

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'd tend to agree with your list xaser1066, My only point is the review I've just read on the new Sony HS50 ( HS51 in the USA). It doesn't rate it's performance on standard def images(DVD,TV,VCR etc) through analogue inputs ( component) saying it's very digitised and artificial looking. But with a DVD player a with HDMI or DVI connections such as the new Samsung HD945, which can upscale DVD to 720p this should be solved.
    Read the latest review here:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vpl-hs51.htm

4. Scotlandgadgets

Scotlandgadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sorryfor showing my ignorance what do u mean by not as contrastly as H57 as this the one i think i am going for. :clap:

5. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi oakleyspatz, yes i too am concerned about the latest review of the HS50/51 - i guess we will have to wait and see. Sorry if it is not clear but what i mean is that H57 has very good contrast, with black blacks - the HS20 has good contrast, with dark grey blacks. If blacks are your thing the the H57 is better (out of the two) - but i did think the HS20 was very good; even better when you consider its age (based on HS10 technolgy).

6. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    i have been reading reviews from projectorcentral & widescreenreviews

and thay have very very diffrant reviews for the sony hs51 hers just one point that satands out from both reviews

Scaling

PC:

The one significant weakness of the HS51 is in its scaling of standard definition material through the analog ports. For example, with a DVD source input via 480i or 480p through the component video port, there is an edge enhancement in the horizontal dimension that is not related to the sharpness control. This has the effect of imparting an artificial sharpness to the image which makes it appear decidedly more digital and less film-like. Once the signal is upscaled externally to 720p, bypassing the internal scaler, the artifact is eliminated and the picture is smooth and clean.

WSR:

Scaling picture quality and lack of artifacts was excellent in all modes

Quite a difference. I feel more inclined to believe WSR since PC made a mistake re the scaler on the 700 and the WSR review seems much more in depth

have a look at the other review as its completey diffrant so the onl thing to do is wait until people see these units in action

i still have my hs10 so i hope its a masave upgrade with just as good picture

7. lw32

lw32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would place the H57 top of that list. I'm not interested in hi-def for the time being so a native PAL PJ is more than adequate. I mostly watch DVDs and DLP has a much nicer picture than LCD - more film-like. My only concern is rainbows. I had intended to buy the HS50, it seems very impressive, but I started to have a few doubts so pre-ordered the H57 instead. Lamp life (4000 hours) and low noise (23db) was also a factor.

8. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,

I to was thinking of getting the Optoma h57, but the guy at Sevenoaks said that Optoma, but not necessary the H57 had a poorer history for returns than the Infocus range,
    Its a shame because the Optoma offer 3 years warranty, 4000 hours on the bulb, 1024 x 576 on the DLP chip, now think in terms of the Infocus 5700 but still checking out all the reviews etc.

steve

9. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    The Mits 900 should also be included in the selection.

I'm in the same boat as you guys, looking to go digital but scared to take the plunge - one minute x pj is the one to get, next minute somebody finds that its got showstopping problems.

If only one pj had all the good points (1280x720 resolution, high contrast, no VB, no rainbows, etc, etc)! I'm inclined to forget the Sony and await a dlp with a similar contrast but I could be waiting until doomsday for the "right" pj as there is always something better just round the corner.

Not helping am I :(
    Paul

10. jwm15

jwm15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with LW32 and am also leaning toward an H57. In terms of the HS50/51 reviews, WSR had a pre-production model whereas Projector Central has one of the production demo models that are currently shipping (not for sale, just for dealers to demo to punters like us). So, it is possible that the spec has changed. That said, Projector Central seems to constantly be pushing scalers so maybe it is self interest on their part (although they loved the scaler in the Z3).

As for Optoma's reliability, it has declined slightly over the last few years but is still better than average. Given the warranty is a 3 year, 24 hour swap instead of a return-to-base, I would say reliability is effectively a non-issue. Also, they have a 3 year dead pixel guarranty (although I have yet to find anyone with a DLP that has had a sticking mirror).

-- J

11. Scotlandgadgets

Scotlandgadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i agree the 3 year dead pixel cover looks good.I just wish there were a few more reviews for the unit or even a firm release date.Living in the north of scotland makes it hard to veiw these items so usally try to work it into a a company trip down south.

But think it will be the H57.
    As i have a dedicated room for this so blacking it out conpletely will not be a problem. :clap: :beer: