1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which option will offer best picture quality?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by neil20v, Nov 14, 2004.

1. neil20v

neil20v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have set up my plasma screen and denon dvd player and after a bit of fine tuning with the denon settings the picture is looking good. I am only using basic cables at the moment and want to upgrade these.

The Screen has the following input:

1x DVi inpuut
    1x RGB(VGA) input
    1x RS-232 (not sure what this ones for?)

The Screen came with a basic tuning box that has 2 scart inputs and an antenna input. I currently have my sky digital going through the antenna input and the denon SYS500SD dvd player connected through one of the scart inputs.

The tuning box then connects to the screen through the DVi cable.

I want to connect my xbox (i have purchased a us xbox so that i can get NTSC and Hi-Def) to the screen in addition to the above and i would also like to buy better quality cables. which of the following options would yield the best picture quality.

Option 1

The denon DVD player has component video out so i could purchase a DVi to Component RCA from http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIRCA-2 and connect the dvd player staight into the screens one dvi input.

I would then purchase this hi-def xbox VGA adaptor http://www.x2vga.com/ and connect my ntsc xbox direct to the screens one VGA input.

I would then need to figure a way of connecting sky digital by either scart or antenna. I would be happy to leave the xbox unplugged and use sky all the time, then and as when i want to play xbox just unplug sky and use the xbox.

Option 2

Purchase a tuning box that accepts Component video inputs and has a DVi output.

I would then buy high quality component leads torun from the denon dvd to the tuning bxox

I would also buy the Xbox Hi def component cable from http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/ to run to the tuning box.

I would also need to connect sky to the tuning box.

Almost the end

If you can suggest any tunng box's that would fit my needs i would very greatful.

I am also unsure as to what to do with RS-232 cable, the screen came with the a basic cheap looking RS-232 that when connected to the screen from the tuning box seems to imporve picture........could this be the case or is it just me?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated :lease:

I took a picture of my set up now that its installed if anyone can host it for me i would be happy to share it with you guys :thumbsup:

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The DVI lead you mention won't work. This lead is intended to take an analogue signal from source to display. Your plasma will almost certainly need a digital signal input.
    The only way you have at present to get a progressive-scan component feed into the plasma is through the VGA socket. This is assuming that your plasma will take this kind of signal directly. As you haven't posted which one you've got, can't comment on that. If it won't, then you've got more complicated conversions to do.
    Why? :confused:
    The antenna output on a $ky box is for feeding portable TVs. Use the scart output! Are you also using a VCR? If not, then use the VCR scart on the Sky box to loop-through the scart picture from your DVD player into the tuner box SCART. Also be sure that the SCART you're using on the tuner box is RGB compatible, for best picture quality.

That is the serial port, used for communication. In your case, it is carrying the communication signals between the plasma and the tuner box. Leave it plugged in. The picture is better that way because the tuner box is telling the plasma how to properly display the picture.

If you come back with some further details on the above, then I'm sure someone will help you further.

3. neil20v

neil20v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help mate

The plasma is a Thomson 42WB02S

The reason i am only using the antenna was as a temporary fix. This plasma is in the main bedroom as i intend to get a bigger 50" screen downtairs when cash permits.

My sky digital box is downstairs and i used to have a small phillips tv in the room ran off the antenna, so i just connected it up as a temp fix so i could at least watch something.....to be honest the picture was really clear, do you think it will imporve more when i connect it through scart?

In order to get scart upstairs i'm going to move the sky box upsairs for now and relagate the downstairs tv to the antenna :) then when i get the better screen downstairs i will upgrade to sky plus.

Do all tuning box's come with DV and RS-232 outputs?

Would it be worth buying better quality DVi and RS-232 cables for improved picture?

Will buying a better quality tuning box help improve picture further?

If i end up sticking withe the standard thomson tuner box would it be worth me upgrading to a high quality Component RCA to scart cable that i can run from the component out of the dvd player to the scart on the tuning box or does converting from component to scart just defeat the object?

Thanks again for you help and i look forward to your reply post :smashin:

4. neil20v

neil20v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Most tuner boxes that I'm aware of connect to the screen as described. The tuner box is specifically designed to supply your plasma, with the correct resolutions and timings on the output to make the most out of plasma. Hence a direct replacement is unlikely to be an option. You talking about moving up to a serious scaler to replace it, which is serious cash and requires some serious setting up.

Component into SCART won't work. The scart inputs will only take composite and RGB (possibly S-video, but RGB should still be the best anyway). It looks to me that you are going to have to stick with using RGB scart for DVD and Sky. Your VGA is then free for your X-box Hi-def. If you can't live with the DVD/Sky picture, then you could try buying a RGB-2-VGA converter (JS is the 'Big-Boy' in these parts) and plugging them in using this. You would then need a VGA switch box to allow the VGA on the plasma to be shared with the X-box. These type of switches should be available from computer suppliers.

6. neil20v

neil20v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for your help with this matter, I have been searching around on the forum and reading various reviews.

I am going to purchase a crystal xbox from premodded.co.uk, this will allow me to still play my pal games but access the High def menu.

I have just purchased an x2vga+ high def VGA adaptor for my xbox, i will use this to connect direct to the plasma screens VGA input.

I would still like to try and improve the picture quality in dvd and sky (i'm sure the basic £2 cables i'm running could be bettered :suicide: ). Would either of these item be an improvment over my current set up?

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?PV200
    http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?VTB100

If the above will not make an improvment i will probably just buy two high quality RGB scart leads to connect sky and the dvd player and maybe by a better quality DVi and RS-232 cable to go from the tuner/switch box to the plasma.

what advantage will the JS RGB-VGA adaptor have for me?

Could i not run a cable (scart, S video, component) straight to the tv by buying a component to dvi (or similar) cable and bypass the tuner/switch box for a more direct picture?

Thanks again for all your advice I look forward to the next reply :smashin:

7. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Out of the two devices you quote, the latter looks the better option, as is better specified. Whether they would be any better than your current tuner box is difficult. These low cost (relative) devices don't tend to have very good de-interlacers (for the conversion to prog-scan, that the plasma needs). You will note also that the scalers in these devices do not output at widescreen resolutions, as they are intended for use with computer monitors. Hence you may still find that your current tuner box gives the best results.

As said before, the component to DVI cable will not work. Your plasma needs a digital signal into its DVI, and component is analogue. The box you mention above would do the A-D conversion, but would it be any better than the tuner box at doing so? To clear up the confusion on this cable, there are some devices which have a DVI connection called DVI-I. This type of connection takes both analogue and digital signals, hence the cable you mention. However, the plasma connection will be DVI-D, which is digital-only.

Upgrading the DVI cable you have might improve results, but unlikely to make any difference with the RS-232 as this is a pure data cable.

The RGB-2-VGA convertor leads to improved picture in most cases for RGB sources, when compared to a direct scart connection. The extent of the improvement depends on how good the scart connection on the plasma is to start with.

8. neil20v

neil20v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it was your set up how would you set it up and what would you buy?

9. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Good question. To be honest, I wouldn't have bought this plasma, due to the limited connection options.

Had I been given one, for example, I would try replacing the cables with better ones, as a first step.

If still unhappy, I'd probably go down the RGB-2-VGA route, assuming that the plasma's VGA will take it, with a VGA switch to allow the X-Box to be used through the same input. Could use the DVI for connecting a PC.

If I had access to one of the monitor-into-TV boxes which you mention (which I do), I would try it to see if it made any improvements over tha plasma's internal de-interlacing/scaling. Wouldn't be holding my breath though!

10. neil20v

neil20v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks again for all the advice.

i was originall going to buy the panny p6 but when i viewed the panny and the thomson, the thomson appeared to have a slightly clearer picture but the panny had more vibrant colours.

I got such a good deal on the thomson i couldn't turn it down really :)

The picture quality is great with just the basic cables....i think its just wishful thinking or me convincing myself that if i spend another couple of hundred on accessories and cables it could get even better.

I will try and borrow one of those a monitor-into-tv boxes for a coule of hours and see if it improves the picture .....I will also try and borrow an RGB-VGA box to see if this does any better......if either make an improvement then i will buy them.

If i carn't lay my hands on either or they make no difference i will just upgrade the cables where possible and stick with the standard tuner/switch box.

I know if i dont try these things that it will eat away at and i'll be thinking "could it be better" or "maybe i should of tried this".............me and my petty mind :suicide:

thanks again for all your import