1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Optical Cable?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MysteryMan, Feb 25, 2003.

1. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    :confused:
    I am trying to decide where to locate my DVD player (either near to the TV or near to the Receiver). Will there be any clear differences in sound quality between these 3 options......
    • 1m coax digital
    • 4m coax digital
    • 4m optical digital

DVD Player is Panasonic E30 and Receiver is Marantz 5200.

Any views?
    Ta

2. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've yet to hear any differences between co-ax and optical let alone quality/price of such interconnects. I'd say try (on a sale and return basis) your options and see if you can hear a difference.

I'm still under the impression that if you could make a pair of coathangers be 75ohms in resistance, you wouldn't hear a difference compared to a £100 DIGITAL (i.e, not analogue - that's a different kettle of fish) interconnect. Purists prove me wrong with objective evidence please!

Regards,

Ian.

3. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The general concensus seems to be that digital co-axial cables are superior sounding than optical one's. I have no idea why, although it could have something to do with that the signal stays electrical all the way through it's transmission, as opposed to being converted from electrical to light and back to electrical again. However, since both cable types are similarly priced, I would play it safe and just get a digi co-ax, at least you've got nothing to loose even if there's no difference.

4. graxxor

graxxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ianwane has a point... Although I'm not sure I'd go as far as two coathangers... :p

In my short stint as a hifi nerd, I experienced some decent upper mid ranged kit, I had a setup at home some oldish Audiolab kit: 8000Q+2xM monoblocks 8000DAX/CDM dac/trans setup... I was quite Audiolab mad for a while what with its clinically detailed sound, it piqued my interest as a scientist (erm... that is to say, I liked it... sorry I was reading this thread... http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69689 ) with Monitor Audio Silver 60s... IIRC

Anyway, I connected the DAX to the CDM with the free TOSLINK that was supplied with the CDM. The sound was sweeeet!

I then realised, upon further inspecting the box that the person I'd bought the CDM off had taken pity on me for selling my mother to buy it and had thrown in an Audio Alchemy (or some such) coax lead which was about 50 quid at the time. :smoke:

Palms all asweat, I plugged it in and listened intently. Then I compared it with the trashy TOSLINK. To say that the coax tightened the bass, sweetened the treble and consolidated the midrange to improve the overall balance and create an analytical rather than clinical sound (hey, they are Audiolabs after all :) ) would be talking out of the end that one usualy tries to keep quiet.

I couldn't tell the difference to save my wife.

Graxxor
    [​IMG]

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any that you have mentioned here will do the job just fine. ;)