Which Onkyo Receivers support DNLA Video Support (via a NAS?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by patrickkingshot, Jun 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. patrickkingshot

patrickkingshot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm about to add a whole new setup to my living room from including, tv, sound system and will be adding a NAS to the household. Therefore I am looking for an AV Receiver which can stream video from the NAS (was thinking of the WD My Cloud EX2). I currently have an Onkyo NR-609 so am familiar with the Onkyo setup therefore I would rather stick to what I know unless there is a much better alternative. Not looking to spend the earth but would just like to know the options which are capable of streaming from a NAS well. Either New or discontinued versions are fine as I love a hunt for a bargain!

Any info on which AV Receivers can offer this would be greatly appreciated and not to mention time saving!

Even better alternatives to the WD My Cloud EX2 would also be nice to know.

Thanks for reading and all opinions welcome!

Kind Regards Patrick

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,215
    No AV receiver has the capability to render video accessed via DLNA over a network. Sony used to include this ability on their top tier AV receivers, but I think even they dropped the feature. No AV receiver includes video rendering and their networking capabilities are only in association with audio. You'd be better catered for using a Dune, Popcorn Hour or mede8er media player connected to a receiver via HDMI. The player would access and then render the content while then outputting it to the receiver. The receiver would then deal with the audio while passing through the video.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,215
    EDIT

The Sony STRDA5800ES still includes video rendering, but I don't know of anywhere that actually sells them?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,215
    If looking for an alternative to the WD My Cloud then consider Netgear's ReadyNAS network storage solutions. If you've the budget to facilitate it then also look at QNAP and Synology NAS boxes.