1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oddbodd, May 26, 2003.

1. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi guys, after some feedback/advice please. I've been trying to solve a connection problem for some time now, which is to connect my x.box and g.cube to my computer monitor. I've just treated myself to a new 17" samsung TFT(see thread in speacial offers) which has two inputs, one DVI which is connected to my PC graphics card and a normal VGA connector. After some research I think I've narrowed it down to four gadgets:-
    http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/cyp/csc-1200.htm
    http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/avtoolbox/tv4000.htm
    http://www.av-sales.com/html/prov_plus.html
    http://www.av-sales.com/html/brite-view.html
    Three of them have the abillity to accept RF signals so you get a TV into the bargain aswell which would probably be quite handy. The Briteview does not have this feature but I suspect it's of superior quality to the others. I must admit that quality of picture is more important than the TV feature so if anyone can give me some advice/experience with any of these products I'd be well chuffed.
    Cheers Oddbodd
    ps I didn't know which forum to put this in, hope this is the correct/best one :confused:

2. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most games consoles output around 15.5KHz which is the line frequency of interlaced TV. Most TFT screens only start accepting a horizontal line frequency of the 31.5KHz. The devices like the ScanCom have a simple line doubler.

You would get a superior picture if you can get a progressive output from your games console. I have seen an Xbox cable which cost about 90 Euros that allows you to plug the Xbox straight into a Monitor.

I have also researched the GameCube and it appears that some games can output in progressive. I am unsure if any PAL games work this way or if it is only certain NTSC games. Although you can get a S-Video out of the GameCube in the US you can't do this on the PAL version, it will only output RGB or composite. If any of these converters allows RGB input it may be the one to use.

http://www.digital-x.de/KNOWHOW/XBOX/xbox_dx_vga_box/xbox_dx_vga_box.htm#9999

Brian

3. markowls

markowls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a SyncBlaster RGB2C with a SCART->VGA

Then you need component video cables for Xbox, GC (or PS2 or whatever).

For GC you need US/Jap games
    For Xbox it needs to be set up as NTSC and progressive scan enabled for the various resolutions.

There are other ways.

The quality is excellent, especially on a TFT because they're so bright.

Total cost (including component cables for consoles) ~£200

Mark

4. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Mark, do you have a link were I could look at that gizmo
    Cheers Oddbodd

5. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong but I think the Syncblaster cable keeps the 15.5kHz horizontal frequency of the interlaced video. This is very likely imcompatible with your monitor (check the specification). You would need a line doubler to make this compatible. If you were going this path you would be better getting progressive scan output with would be compatible with your monitor. All you may need to do is get a converter that goes between YPbPr to VGA e.g the X-Blaster from Key Digital.

Brian

6. markowls

markowls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did do all of this before (and also included the other methods), but somehow managed to lose the message & couldn't be arsed to do it again.

www.syncblaster.com will give you the deets & www.keene.co.uk will sell you the goods.

Have fun!

Mark

7. markowls

markowls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Salacious,

Aaaah interlaced is a different kettle of fish.....

You are indeed correct, it will keep the horizontal freq @ 15.5Khz for interlaced source, since it's just a transcoder.

If you want to use it with a standard PC monitor, you'll need to be running a progressive source (generally NTSC GC games or Xbox games etc.)

Take a look @ for some more info

http://hdgames.net/

The X-Blaster does the more or less the same thing, but the RGB2C goes both ways Component<->RGB and has SCARTS for convenience (and has the added benefit of being more expensive).

I also plan to use it to convert from SCART source to component, when I take the plunge into Plasmaland.

Mark

8. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The differences in video signal between progressive and interlaced component video I think it would unlikely that the converter like the Syncblaster would work at all for progressive video. To get the RGB signals from the YPbPr you need to combine the signals and to do this you need to remove the sync from the Y signal. The timing information is different since the line frequency is different and unless you had an autodetection circuit I doubt it would work at all.

The X-Blaster was only designed to work with progressive games.

Brian

9. markowls

markowls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from the fact that he SyncBlaster does *in fact* work with both interlaced and progressive signals.

It strips out the sync and either provides it separately or as sync on green (selectable via dip switches).

I've got one, and it's worked in every configuration that I've thrown at it.

The problem with TFT monitors, is that they may not be able to support some of the more 'esoteric' HDTV resolutions (525p, 720p & 1080i). However, the GC only outputs 480p and on the Xbox it's selectable in the video settings on the NTSC dashboard.

Mark

10. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected. Maybe in future Keene will be able to correctly mark items as YPbPr rather than YCbCr. YCbCr is the digital representation on signals, when it is in the analogue domain it should be YPbPr.

It is also a similar problem with some Plasma screens. They are unable to handle 575p and hence progressive PAL wont work. This was down to the progressive NTSC being sorted out years before they got around to PAL. Maybe American should remember that not all countries have NTSC, some have far superior systems e.g Europe and Australia.

Brian