1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by eonone, Sep 16, 2005.

1. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right...

Ive been waiting what seems like a lifetime for a Panasonic 42pv500 to come into stock at Empire Direct, anyway during that time Ive noticed that 2 other panels Im interested will be released soon, Ive decided not to bother now as Im orried about the 'features' this set displays like big borders on games, contrast change etc, as I know they will bother me.

Soooo, which would you recommend...

1...(Plasma) Pioneer pdp-436xde
    2...(LCD) Sharp 37gd7e

I have £2500 to spend max, and would be playing xbox on it also, how would the LCD handle games, ghosting etc?

Thanks for any help

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'd take the Pioneer plasma over the Sharp LCD.

But have you considered Panasonic 42PHD8 (when stock finally arrives). Is within your budget, and panels usually give better results than integrated TVs. The only thing is the lack of tuner and speakers so you will need sound system and freeview/sky etc.

3. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    And I would be very wary of ordering from Empire Direct. They are fine if there are no problems but once things go wrong...

4. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I hadnt considered the 42phd8 as Ive not seen that anywhere and am unaware what it consists of, just hear about slots for different inputs etc. Although I have an amp and speaker setup so plasma with integrated sound is not needed anyway...

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    In which case you would run pretty much everything component through the amp and up to the screen allowing the amp to select sources, with a HDMI board in place for HD use later. Unfortunately the whole of Europe are still waiting on PHD Panasonics (hoping for next week), and worse still there's not much sign of 8-series HDMI cards at all (Panasonic are telling people to use 7-series ones.....).

6. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which to be fair puts me off entirely as Panasonic seem to take an age to do anything recently...

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Panasonic do this every year, HDMI boards were late last year, PHDs were actually on time but weren't the year before, accessories came in dribs and drabs.

But you are right to let it put you off. It's put me off replacing mine with another Panny. What pushed me over the edge was the phone system - now if there's no-one to answer (which there isn't) they simply tell you they can't take your call and cut you off. Mind you if you do get through, if it's technical you'll just have the manual read at you by a spotty teenager and if it's customer service you will be passed along the line until you give up. Combine this with the fact that there is no such thing as a swap-out warranty with them (10+ customers and my own mother had to go without screen for more than a fortnight during PSU repairs) and I can see why Pioneer and Fujitsu etc have such a loyal customer base.

8. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you, so any views on the 2 mentioned?

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yeah as I said above, I would prefer the LCD over the plasma. I just don't think LCD can get the kind of colour and contrast a plasma can. It always looks like an LCD image if you know what I mean. Hard to put in words really. Plus the new XDE is meant to be the dags knackers.

10. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah I know what u mean, just the 436xde with stand is looking like £2700 after looking...hmmm, maybe worth not paying a few bills for a while...:s

Always been unsure about playing games on lcds too, unless anyone can shed any light?

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I think it's safe to say you're gonna um and er for a while, then you're gonna slap out the credit card, get the Pioneer, and have a very big grin on your face for a very long time!!!!

12. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just in case anyone finds this confusing I imagine you meant to say Plasma over the LCD.