Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

which one?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kennysatman, Mar 6, 2005.

1. kennysatman

kennysatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys i am thinking of getting my first projector, but which one do i go for?
    so many choices so much money. i only have a small room 4mX4m and will i be ok to put straight on to a wall or is a screen better,can i put it on the floor or do they have to be up high? any help is appreciated. thanks
    :lease:

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well as nobody else has given their opinion then I will.

I got my first PJ a couple of months ago. I got a sanyo plv-z2 (lens shift makes setup very easy) from pixmania with 12 months 0% finance for £850.
    I then got a cheap 'sapphire' manual pull down screen for about £90 which I connected to my Aego p5 speaker system and built a HTPC for about £350.
    So all together with cables etc it cost approx £1400.

I am very happy with my setup, after spending alot of time tinkering with tt and ffdshow I think I'm getting pretty much the best picture I can from my PJ.

I personally wouldn't go for a 'budget' DLP pj as I think rainbows are very likely and find it easier to live with the problems of lcd's

I just use a portable tv bracket to support my PJ and it works fine!

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,722
  4. kennysatman

kennysatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi again budget is as little as possible probably £2000 or less if i can get away with it.
    thanks

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Would a Brand new unopened Sanyo Z3 interest you?

6. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I would recommend a sony hs50 or panasonic ae700. both way under 2k. I have ae700 myself my second projector. cine4home.de tested all the current lcd projector range and the hs50 come on top.

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,722
    Try to get some demo's of both LCD and DLP. Both have strengths and weaknesses so idealy you should see them working and decide if you have a preference.

A flat wall pianted with matt white paint will do a reasonable job but a fixed DIY screen can cost as little as £30 for the wood and some white 'blackout' cloth stretched and stapled over it. Try a white wall for a while and see how you get on with the pj before deciding on a screen.

For digital projectors, a seating distance of around 1.8 to 2x screen width is a reasonable rule of thumb, so a 7ft wide screen means you should sit approx 12.5ft or further away. Sitting too close can allow you to see the pixel grid and other image 'artefacts' that can detract from the viewing. To find the best distance for you you'll have to view one and see what suits you, or try it when yo get the pj home. If you're not sure what screen size you need, you can get the pj and project it onto a wall and use the zoom or move the pj to make it various sizes to see what you like.

Projectors can go on coffee tables, on the ceiling and sometimes somewhere in between. It depends on what suits you really. They can be permanent or temporary too, so again, that's up to you.

Some good LCDs have been suggested, bjut try to get a look at some DLPs like the Infocus 5700, Mitsubishi HC900, BenQ PE7800, BenQ PE8700+ NEC HT510, Sharp XVZ200E, Sim2 18H.

Where are you located? You need to find someone who has any of the mentioned projectors on demo so you can start deciding what to buy. :)

Gary.

8. kennysatman

kennysatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help guys i will try and get a home demo ASAP
    :thumbsup: