1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which one?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by hutchys, Dec 30, 2004.

1. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that I have very few R1 DVD's whice set would be the best out of the Tosh 46- Optoma or the sagem for watching mainly Sky (not +) and R2 DVD's. I have seen the sagem set up very poorly in Comets,and I am going to see the Tosh today but I do not think I will be able to see the Optoma (where are these seen/ by the way). I am well aware about seeing them in the flesh so to speak, but would welcome all comments from people who have/have seen all these screens.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hutchsys, there are quite a few threads on here about this topic, have a read ;)

My tosh, with the picture settings were tweaked, is excellent with sky and for general viewing.

3. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    which has the better picture toshiba or rd50 .ill be manly watching sky and tv and r2 dvd not worried about r1 dvd or should i wait a few months

yamaha dsp-az2
    pioneer 868avi
    sony 36 inch

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I wouldnt go for the Optoma if I were you. Have alook at a few of my posts. The set isnt PAL60, NTSC, 60Hz compatible. Optoma are also very bad in the customer service department and I am not the only person who feels this. Try the new samsung or sagem hd-45 soon to be released.

5. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    yeh avoid the optoma,mine still hasnt been collected you know :)

I finally got a phonecall from them 2 weeks before xmas,firstly they asked said they couldnt sort it out there and then as the guy who needs to sign the agreement to return wasnt there or something,so the phonecall was a waste of time.Then they call me the week before xmas asking why i'm sending it back!! something they already know from HifiBitz,its rediculous....oh and thats it I havent heard a single thing since so I presume they dont restart back to work untill next week.

So i'm sat here with a TV i dont want,the ONLY tv in the house and no refund untill it gets collected,Optoma then have to confirm its collection to HifiBitz so I'm not holding out much hope for that getting done very quickly.

hehem,anyway sorry about that rant,but as I say dont go with the optoma for the sheer fact the customer service is dreadful.

sean

6. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks, apart from the problems was the picture good

7. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of the new Sagem I persume no one has seen this screen yet as it is not available yet?
    Thanks
    Jim

8. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so the toshiba 46 would b the better choice over rd50

9. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Or get the toshiba 52" if your have a large room

10. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i hav 14 x14 foot room what price is the 52 and when aval..

11. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    as. for PAL I think the RD50 has a briliant picture ( I have one). the fan noise is the only downer for me but I guess that applies to all DLPs

12. Dabs

Dabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Even though my first RD50 broke down after 1 day,i stuck with the RD50.
    The picture quality is fantastic with Sky and DVD.
    Obviously if you have a lot of R1 stuff then steer clear but we are in England after all.

13. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    went into comet today saw sagem 50 and toshiba 46 side by side and to b honest the sagem had the better picture they had eastenders on it was sharper . even tho they wert set up right

14. Dabs

Dabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats what made me go for the RD50,i thought the same when i went to the Greenwich Comets.(and of course the extra 4")

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Optoma are a nightmare. Broken Promise should be their company moto.
    You would of thought a small company would be fighting to get more business and add the personal touch.

Not to be ignored have undelivered promise's and be fobbed off, as I and many other have experianced. These forums seem to have alot of un happy Otoma Customers.

People are returning thier sets and replacing them with other makes. (When Optoma finally collect them).

16. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    as, the PQ of the Optoma is better still than the axium as it is this years model with the new DLP chipset, the axium is last years Optoma model with old DLP chipset

17. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor,
    You at the beginning thought the PQ on the rd50 was very good (that is why you bought it?) until the problem with NTSC raised it's head. You say a lot of people are returning their sets for other sets? which one's would they be please.
    Thanks
    Jim

18. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well personally I've gone for the samsung on the pedestal stand,its a massive price hike for a set that is in all but looks pretty much the same as the optoma,but it seems more polished and I couldnt see any noticeable downpoints to it in my demo,but as ever we'll see when it arrives.

Sean

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Hutchys

Yes I do think the picture quallity is good on my RD65 (not RD50) when a PAL/50 Hz is inputed, however the picture on PAL60, NTSC is unwatchable.

There are a few people who have or are in the process of returning their sets all you have to do is read the posts. Wij (post above mine) has returned their RD50.

If you read my posts you can see why I am displeased with the RD65, I have all this technology and I cant watch a simple region 1 dvd. Would you be pleased if you spent £4000-00 on a product which was falsely advertised, demonstrated and cant do what a simple £100 tv could do. Then to add insult to injury Optoma anounce that the next version of the RD range will be NTSC compatible. A bit of a slap in the face if you already have a RD50/RD65.

If you want to buy an Optoma hutchys then go ahead.

20. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Razor,
    I think you took my last post the wrong way what I was asking was which set are you going to get when you return your optoma. I wasnt asking for peoples names I was asking which set and why? so I could maybe consider them. I have read a lot of your threads and I too would not be happy if I need not know about the NTSC problem before I bought the screen. I am considering the new sagem hd45 myself but would like personnel opinions from people like yourself who have purchased these sets.
    Thanks
    Jim

21. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm looking at the Sagem HD-D45 as well, I had a RD50 on order but cancelled it 2 weeks after they charged my credit card and still hadn't delivered. Meant I had to put up with a 14" TV for Christmas though!

I'm hoping someone else will take the plunge first and tell us all what a fantastic TV it is!

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Hi Hutchys,

The set most people are returning or returned is the RD50, I do not know many people which have the RD65 as I have (only 1 other).

All though I havent seen the Sagem HD-45 (not avialible yet), it looks a good unit (hopefully no NTSC/60Hz issue). The other screen of choice would be the samsung 50' DLP which has just received a rave review from Home Cinema Choice.
    I have seen the Toshiba 46' set at the AV show in Hammersmith, the picture quality was good but not as good as the Sagem 50' set. It also has massive speakers on the side of the case which make it the same size as a 50' screen.

I think the best thing you can do is view the sets with your own DVD's and make your own judgement. Let me know how you get on.