1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which One.... Yamaha / Kenwood?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by knobitt, Apr 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. knobitt

knobitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy my first AV amp/receiver which will be solely used for DVD purposes.
    Unfortunately i've only got a budget of £250 too work with, so i'm looking at the Kenwood KRF-V7030D or the Yamaha DSP A5 both seen for £250 or below.

Comments on both of these are most welcome...advise me folks, remember it's for MOVIES only not music!

Cheers ;)

2. Neurotic

Neurotic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are you going to pair the amp with?

I suggest you take your DVD & speakers (if you can!) and go have a listen - I was astounded by the difference in sound between 3 similar priced AV amps (yam, denon & kenwood)when heard through different speakers.

I bought the amp & speakers at the same time and I ended up with the Yamaha - I love it and recommend it very strongly (I have a wharfedale dvd player (which also double as a CD player) and Accoustic Energy AE120 (which are actually audio speakers, but the sound fantastic!)

Regards,
    Rob

3. knobitt

knobitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be buying online so i don't think i'll be able to test 'em out with my Sony 336 DVD player etc.....

For short term i'll be using Jamo D165 for fronts and a pair of old(but good) Kenwoods for rear and i'm hoping to pick up a good budget centre for the time being.

I'll be upgrading the speakers around the end of the year once i got my holidays well out of the way.

Anyone else anything to say about the Kenwood/Yamaha?

[ 30-04-2001: Message edited by: knobitt ]

4. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure if all Kenwoods are the same but I read at smr- hometheatre that the amp they checked that the internal layout was poorly designed and that the power supply was small so it would struggle with certain speakers when all channels were going, I don't think it was a budget amp either.

Philmate.

5. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I can also recommend the Yamaha DSP-A5.

Using it with :

Wharfedale DVD-750S
    Eltax Symphony 8.2 fronts
    Eltax Symphony Centre
    Tannoy Mercury MXR rears

6. stefinch

stefinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ive got the Yamaha dsp A595a and this is a great amp, my room is 22ft x 18ft and the amp fills the room with sound without even struggling. Never heard the Kenwood so cant say about that one. If the A5 is better than the 595a you cant go wrong. happy viewing.