1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one to get: HK DVD22 or Camb. 540D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fush, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Fush

Fush
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title says, I am looking for a new DVD player, and have nailed it down to these two:

Cambridge Azur 540D
    Harman/Kardon DVD22

Which of these is the better one? I am primarily looking for good sound in CD's as well as DVD's. DVD-Audio and other formats are "nice to have", but not particulary important to me. I am confident that picture quality will be good enough for me for both of these. I am looking to get the most out of my setup soundwise, which consists of:

Harman/Kardon HK970 Stereo receiver
    System Audio SA1280 MKII speakers (Danish make, specs below)

Do any of you have hands-on experience with these two players? Which one would you recommend?

cheers,
    Rikard

specs for the System Audio SA1280 MKII:
    Frequency range (+/- 3dB): 35-35.000 Hz
    Impedance: 4 Ohms (easy load)
    Power handling: 170 Watts
    Sensitivity (1W, 1m): 89 dB
    Magnetical shielded: yes
    Principle: 2.5 way / bass reflex
    Sand chamber: yes
    Biwiring: yes
    Woofers: 2 x SA W1408AV
    Tweeter: 1 x SA TWG2506AV
    Dimensions (WxHxD) cm: 15x104x26.6
    Finish: Black Ash, Maple or Cherry (real wood veneer)

2. Colony

Colony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I have the HK DVD22 and i think it's a great machine for both DVd and CD audio - I use the analogue phono connections for the latter. i'm really pleased with it except for a couple of daft things - the remote control is cheap and nasty copared to the nice style of the player, and the thing takes ages to turn fully on from standby and also takes and eon to eject a disc.

Not really performance related I know, but something you would have to live with!

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I can't comment on the Cambridge, but the HK was, when I tried it severely overpriced (£300). It is a competent dvd player, but nothing outstanding in the AV department (equalled by a Pio DV444) and not of particularily high quality construction. If you pay the £135 that Pixmania is asking for it, then that's probably ok, any more and it becomes expensive for the performance and build.

4. Fush

Fush
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments guys, I apprecieate it. Any input from any Cambridge owners would be welcome also. I am especially interested in if you have experienced any differences between using the analogue and digital audio outputs. This quote from Home Cinema made me a bit worried, since my amp only has analogue ports:

"There is a caveat though, its performance via the analogue stereo outputs is not a patch on the digital audio outputs, when it comes to CD (see our Audio Jitter lab report). It's best to always use top digital output for your CD listening."

Therefore I am thinking that the DVD22 may be a better match for my HK970. What do you think?

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Why only these two DVD players?

6. Fush

Fush
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, mostly because all reviews I have read have rated them very high, and they're both within my price range. They both have the qualities I am looking for: good audio capabilities, and good looks and quality build. But I am sure that there are other players that would fit these criteria. Feel free to suggest other options! :)

7. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Well the much praised Pioneer DV575 is available from Richersounds for £99. If the Pio DV444 that I compared the HK DV 22 against equals it, then the DV575 which has always had excellent reviews for PQ & SQ should be a good choice.

You need to spend a lot more to see a noticeable improvement in PQ, such as the Arcam DV78, Pio DV668, Denon 2910.

8. Fush

Fush
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I just bought the DVD22. But I have some problems upgrading the firmware. Do any of you have any experiances similar to mine as described here: link?