which one to choose?!

B

bdwall007

Hi
Partly in view of reading KirkSi's previous thread on recording from his TV in-built panasonic digi-tuner and partly continuing on from my previous thread from a while back (which i couldn't find again!), i need some guidance on which recorder to buy.

I have a Sony TV with in-built digi tuner, sony 5.1 receiver, sony dvd player, sony vcr and have budget of £300 for a recorder. I'm looking at sony GX300, GX700, GXD500 and Toshiba XS32. Edging towards the toshiba as Hard disk would be useful as i record a lot of 1/2 - 2 hour programmes, watch them once and then record over. I want to be able to watch recorded disks on the old sony player (-RW format presumably), i won't be using a camcorder, watching sky tv or using a pc for editing recordings. Majority of recording is from standard terrestial channels at present but i'm sure it will increase so GXD500 could be useful! - previous success with recording to vcr from inbuilt tv digi tuner has been a bit hit and miss.
Couple of questions...
-I know you can control stb's (perhaps to a limited extent) from many recorders, can you also control tv in-built tuners (or get the tv to control a recorder via smart link)?
-I am obviously keen on Sony products though and understand that playback and recording quality is excellent - is the toshiba as good?
-Any other advantages of sony over toshiba - which you choose in my situation?
-Whats the difference between the GX300 and GX700 apart from I-link?

i've discounted the panasonic E85 on cost

cheers

I have the same TV and I am very interested in the replies to this.

I am currently deciding between a Toshiba RDXS34 from unbeatable at £300 or a Panasonic 95 at £410 (MR) from RGB direct. pleas read my current Toshiba postings for background info

I'm looking at sony GX300, GX700, GXD500 and Toshiba XS32
Ask yourself this: do I want to make edited recordings that are compatible on other DVD players without using a PC? If the answer is yes forget the Sony models and go for the Toshiba RDXS32. Otherwise read on:

I am obviously keen on Sony products though and understand that playback and recording quality is excellent - is the toshiba as good?
For DVD playback nothing currently beats the Sony models. For DVD recording the Toshiba is ahead of the Sony range at all recording modes. The gap is further widened as Toshiba offers Flexible Record enabling you to fit the bitrate to match the length of the recording - whereas with the Sony you are limited to 5 recording modes only three of which offer full resolution.

The caveat to all this though is the GXD500 when recording from Freeview. The benefit of an integrated DVB tuner that uses an all digital process from broadcast to disc is obvious from the first recording. Thus, on this Sony machine lone, recordings made from Freeview in HQ (1hr), HSP (90mins) or SP (2hrs) are better than any of the opposition. If your interested in the GXD500 then why not take a look at the mini-review I wrote.

I know you can control stb's (perhaps to a limited extent) from many recorders, can you also control tv in-built tuners (or get the tv to control a recorder via smart link)?
The Toshiba has the best control of set-top boxes - it uses a 'magic wand' (an infra red device on a lead) to change you set-top box channel. Works with most Digiboxes but I have never tried with an idTV - I would guess not. That said you'd be better getting a seperate DVB box for your new recorder anyway - the Sony VX800 is ideal!

Any other advantages of sony over toshiba - which you choose in my situation?
The Sony looks nicer :) But aside from DVD playback it doesn't really have any advantages over the Toshiba.

Whats the difference between the GX300 and GX700 apart from I-link?
Build quality for the most part.

Note for generally DVD recorder buying advice you could do worse than look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature!

sorry, one other thing i forgot, it would be good to have a remote that could control the other devices to at least basic functions - don't know if this is a possibility, i guess there isn't much chance of controlling the receiver with recorder remote and i Obviously i wont be able to set up recording on the dvd recorder with my old receiver remote.

thanks

Ben

it would be good to have a remote that could control the other devices to at least basic functions
Most handsets have the ability to control the TV - I can't remember whether the Toshiba does offhand - but the Sony certainly does. That said if your after a decent multi-device handset then invest in a seperate learning one - consult the Remote Control forum for advice on the latest/greatest.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom