1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one to choose? iPod, HD5 or Tosh Giga?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sapibobo, Aug 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sapibobo

sapibobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear guys,

i am a newbie here. For all this time i am using my PDA Toshiba 800 to listen to my MP3s.
    I am seriously thinking to go to divergence side, to have things separately due to battery issues on some convergence devices like PDA, mobile phones, etc.

I am hanging around a bit in this forum and i get some knowledge but it starting to confuse me a bit.

So, as tittle, which should i buy? A famous iPod, Sony HD5 or Toshiba Giga? Three of them are available in my country.

What i look for :

a. I am desperately need for quality. I am willing to transfer all my collection to atrac3 or whatever as long as it gives me a high quality sounds. The problem is : does it?
    Some of you said iPod is the winner, some of you prefer HD5; which is the one?

b. To me, capacity of battery of an iPod is adequate, so i think i wont be so disturbed with battery capacity issues.

c. I am a favor of surround sound featured device. My toshiba PDA has GS Player, a free Pocket PC MP3 program with surround sound feature and it sounds great. I have a Pioneer HI FI sound system with SRS at home and the output is great. I tried Samsung Yepp with SRS and i love it too, too bad it lacks of capacity.
    Any of those three DAP provide surround sound feature or at least anywhere near it?

d. I like to hear new age music, such as Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Enya, Enigma, Delerium, Schiller, etc; some techno-house such as DJ Sammy, Jam and Spoon (Tokyo Ghetto Pussy) etc; some eighties pop songs, etc. I rarely do the Rock Music; metal or anything too noisy.

e. I dont travel a lot, except on vacation. So mostly i listen at home in my room. Yeah i know, i can use my Hi Fi, but i like privacy and using HI FI with headphones is a bit awkward.

So any suggestions please?

Thanks for reply.

2. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wanted a good quality mp3 player and spent along time deliberating between different models. I eventually decided upon the Sony NW-Hd5H, over the tosh gigabeat, Zen Touch and ipod. I decided against converting my mp3 library into the sony ATRAC format and left them as mp3 192kbps and transferred them onto the device. I turned off the EU sound cap and it was amazingly louder. Through my Denon amp the stereo sound IMO is of good quality. In surround sound mode it is great. If you do decide on the HD5 don't worry too much about Sonic stage. It hasn't hindered my day to day operating at all. After importing my library into SS I had to re-tag some stuff that needed doing anyway before loading it on. As long as your computer is reasonable the transfer rate is good.

Hope i have helped,

Regards,
    Realslimcookie.

3. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the Toshiba, but between an iPod and an HD5(H), I went with Sony. Battery life *was* a large deciding factor, but that wasn't the only one. Sound quality (which looks to be of importance to you) was another big one as well as physical size and capacity. Accessories are more abundant for the iPod, but nothing that isn't available universally for MP3 players (well, nothing I would ever need anyway). I do like the iPod clickwheel, but quality/battery life takes precedence over interface IMO.

The best way to decide is list your preferences in order. For me, it was Quality, Battery, Capacity, Interface, Size, Extras - and the HD5-H came out on top.

4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

If Battery and Gapless was an issue I would say Sony. However if it is just sound quality buy an i-pod and a dock.

5. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assumed mobility was a given. Obviously not. Mobility is at the top of my priority list. And as a dock is the only real way to get descent quality out of an iPod (IMO of course - no offence intended), it's just not practical. HD5-H all the way. :smashin:

6. toonman

toonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same boat as you mate...although I scrapped the idea of an ipod early in the process. The toshiba is a good player and has lots of bells and whistles and is avail in 60 gig....nice.....but the sony had way better sound and offered gapless for all my mixed techno music. I am extremely glad I went for the sony. The best touch?? The line out option as it shuts down the volume control and treats the player as just another piece of equipment that plugs into your amp or my case my car stereo. The sound is fantastic through the stereo using the line out option. Go for the sony mate, you will be most happy with it

7. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Sorry pyro if that what you got I hope you enjoy it, but I was directing this to the guy who started the thread, so my mistake.

The I-pod still has better SQ though :devil:

8. sapibobo

sapibobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow thank you guys for all reply. So i can conclude that HD5 have better sound than iPod (well based on commnetaries here, HD5 wins).

Anyone have experience with toshiba giga? Thank you.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    There are quite a few of us who would say that the iPod is better than the HD5 for sound quality, you have to realise that people have bought what they feel is the best for them, so if the majority of people own the HD5 you will get the impression that one is the best sounding (and vice versa)

10. sapibobo

sapibobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have tried both iPod and HD5? Sound quality is a subjective matter but anyone can show me the article thta compares the quality of both models?

I tried to find as many reviews on the web and i found from cnet. com. This what the editors says about HD5:

------
    In informal testing of the better-sounding MP3 players on the market, the HD5 consistently came out on top. It's a great-sounding player with a low hiss factor, a reasonable bass, crystal-clear highs, and an overall warm sound. The only downside is that it doesn't get as loud as some other players, such as the iPod. The so-called VPT Acoustical Engine includes Studio, Live, Club, and Arena environments, while the six-band equalizer includes presets for Heavy, Pop, Jazz, Unique, and two custom settings, as well as two additional digital sound settings. Do note that the first two sound items (VPT and six-band EQ) will work only with ATRAC3plus files, not MP3s. All in all, the effects and EQ give a measurable presence to the music, and we appreciate the ability to preview each type of sound before you select. There should be a Quick key to toggle thorugh the sound effects and EQs, though. DJ, producer, and audiophile types will no doubt be entertained by applying the DSP effects.
    ------
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Network_Walkman_NW_HD5__Black_/4505-6490_7-31417603-5.html?tag=top

Anyone can show me reviews on Giga?

11. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just wondering if that assumption was based on a EU sound capped HD5. Uncapped it is alot louder IMO.

Realslimcookie.

12. Seirrah

Seirrah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iAudio X5L (20Gb or 30GB)

Sound quality is very good, and you can use FLAC (uncompressed files) if you wish.

Battery life is 35 hours.

Can do video and photo if you want it. Wouldn't say it was the main feature on the device, but if you are on a train or plane and want something to watch...then it would do a great job.

You just plug device into PC and it is recognised, no messing about with any software, simply drag and drop files using Windows Explorer.

There is an X5 version (20GB and 30GB) which has half the battery life, and are cheaper than the 'L' versions. But I like the long life.

Loads of details can be found on www.iaudiophile.net

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy it :D

edit : Not sure what country you live in, but can't see why you couldn't get this player (and others) from the net.

13. sapibobo

sapibobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iAudio X5L (20Gb or 30GB) is a bit overkill for me. Besides, i dont think that device is available in my country.

I found another article about HD5. I think mostly CNet editors favor HD5.
    --------
    Ultimately, MP3 players are about the music -- so which one sounds the best?

Determining the best-sounding player is a tricky task since many of the top devices utilise the same sound chips. In fact, unless you have the golden ears of an audiophile, it's difficult to notice the difference between devices.

Still, we, the editors and CNET Labs, put them to the test using a playlist ranging from Air to Bob Dylan, comprising a variety of genres encoded at 320Kbps VBR MP3, setting equal volume levels, and disabling any EQ or sound-effects settings.

Using a pair of our trusty Grado headphones, we judged sound quality in a blind sound test and came up with some consistent (and interesting) results.

Described as "warm" and "true", the sound quality of the iRiver H320 fared very well and Creative's Zen Touch was described as "tight" and "hiss-free".

But it was the brand-new Sony NW-HD5 that consistently ranked number one, delivering MP3s "with a crispy warm seal." Which consistently ranked last? Apple's iPod Photo.
    ------
    http://cnet.com.au/mp3players/harddisk/0,39029137,40055443,00.htm

Still i cannot find any review about Tosh Giga.

14. Alcahest

Alcahest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gigabeat series has the best sound, hands down.
    I tested HD5, IPOD and Gigabeat G40 and i got the G40..
    Later,

Alcahest

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I feel I must point out here that Hunter_UK is posting from Toshiba Information Systems (Uk) Ltd and so might not be offering the most unbaised of advice.

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd also have to add that in my view that sort of thing does the parent company(in this case Toshiba) no good at all.