Question Which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Hisense TVs Forum' started by gwarde, Nov 4, 2017.

1. gwarde

gwarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all, doing some research on behalf of my daughter who wants a new 49"/50" TV. At the moment I am down to a choice between the Hisense H49N5700 and the Hisense H50N5300. I keep reading about RGB and RGBW screens and understand that RGB is the better option, I cannot for the life of me find out what screen these TVs have. Any help appreciated, also opinions on which of these TVs is best suited for watching Blurays and online catch up (doesn't intend to have a TV licence). Final question (honest), will this be better than a 1080P TV from a 'more recognised' make, namely a LG49LJ594V.

Thanks in advance

2. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I have a Hisense N5700 and after trying and returning many tv sets recently,Sony,LG,Panasonic and a LG that costs £300+ more than my Hisense I can honestly say it's the best of the lot,blue rays look great as do the "online catch up" apps which require a tv licence btw ;)

3. gwarde

gwarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks, I am reading a lot of good reports about these TVs so will wait for a (hopefully) good deal on Black Friday. I thought it was only BBC iPlayer that a licence was needed for?

4. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    I think you'll find that any tv capable of receiving the BBC broadcast (read all) is required by law to have a licence, note the word capable................licencing authority has no interest as to whether you do indeed use the BBC, if the receiver is capable you pay.
    As I understand

5. gwarde

gwarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  6. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Strange,I thought if a set is capable of receiving a signal then a licence is compulsory especially as now you can watch live tv through the iPlayer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    Not going to read the blurb, if your device is configured stream only but can receive a broadcast signal how would the law know. Therefore if your device is enabled to receive broadcast signals then the licence should be paid
    Its not that grey an area, if your tv has a tuner then it needs a licence, regardless of whether you use that tuner, if it can stream and is able tostream live tv it needs a licence

8. gwarde

gwarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm no expert (and have my own TV Licence) but I know you can declare to the TV Licencing authorities that you do not require a TV Licence on their website. When you do this I believe you are stating that you are not watching 'live' any broadcast at or close to the time it is broadcast or any programme on BBC iPlayer (hence the question about TV Licence when you watch it). Maybe wrong, but I know several people of the younger generation who survive on Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. watched on Smart TVs.