1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one to buy, that is the question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by VT 4 CCTV, Jun 25, 2004.

1. VT 4 CCTV

VT 4 CCTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I am a newbie to the forums, although i have read the forums threads for a few good weeks.
    Although i work in the cctv industry, the TV industry is awash with different technologies and standards and ways of configuring cabling methods. cctv is so much simpler, lol.

Anyway, my problem is that, i am looking to buy a plasma tv, but have trouble deciding what to buy.
    The wife says, as long as you are sure, you buy it. My budget is £2500, although i would save a little longer to get upto £2800.

So what is my problem ???
    I want the best possible image quality , viewing primarily, sky digital,and then DVD's. I have a 4 year old Panasonic A350 DVD player, multiregion chipped.

I am looking for the plasma to be either DVI or HDMI upgradable or existing on the plasma. I know its not worth talking about yet, in terms of usage, however, if it becomes usefull in 5 years time or so, the wife wont murder me, if i needed to buy a new plasma with DVI or HDMI.

I have recently bought the KEF 2005.2 and Yamaha RX-V640RDS receiver.
    I am looking to use the system with the plasma.

Having trapsed round several AV shops, some better then others, (Andrew Collies demo at AV sales, very impressive) i still find myself at odds with what is best.
    I started with the PW6 series. Very nice image from Freeview / sky digital.
    PDP434 has HDMI, bit pricey, but sky was worse than the panny.
    hhmmm , so more trapsing. Now i see the Panny 42PE30. Veryyy nice image from Freeview and Sky digi, little more expensive, looks easy to use for the wife and kids, BUT ooohh, no DVI or HDMI for the future wants and needs.

oh deary me, more trapsing.more websearching, more dilemmas. Now i see the Hitachi 5200.
    Looks good, the swivel stand and its achieved angle is superb, its got DVI, great, the price is right too. Woohooo, it seems I'm finally getting there.
    Damn, just seen a Hitachi 5200 in a shop today, saw Finding Nemo and the Germania battle in Gladiator. The image quality didnt impress me, in comparison to the Panny 42PE30.
    Maybe it was the youngster in the shop not setting the 5200 up correctly, as he fiddles with the remote in eagerness. In the Nemo film I found lots of grey dots in the dark depths of the ocean. A green surround where it really gets dark. With Gladiators, it was the same, some dark grey dots all over the soldiers uniforms, in the darkish early morning mist. Could it be that the 5200 wasnt set up right??

Is it too much to ask for, when spending A WHOLE LOAD of dosh, to find something that I am looking for????? and make sure, that the wife wont murder me in 5 years, when DVI /HDMI comes into everyday viewing. Or the wife saying, she hates the Plasma , cause the remote is not user friendly for her or the kids.
    I can already hear my Mum and Dad, coming over for the evening, and saying, ''christ boy, you aint got much quality picture here for nearly 3 grand, ave yer''.
    My fatherInlaw is gonna laugh and tell me his image quality is better on his 10 year old Thomson CRT.

I was hoping to be impressed by the 5200, but was dissapointed with todays viewing of it in the AV shop, making me undecided yet again.
    So, people, suggestions suggestions suggestions. Wot should i buy.
    PS, apologies for the lllloooonnnggg story but I feel lost at the moment
    :lease:

2. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The Hitachi is not good compared to the Panny.
    I had the Pio434 but sold it because the Panny picture blew me away. Much richer and the blacks were out of this world.

I used to think that the Pio was the best solution because the HDMI possibility, but my conclusion is:

-DVI/HDMI doesn't matter when the the Panny PQ is so much better. If I were you I would do as me:)

Get the plasma with the best PQ. If it doesn't have DVI/HDMI, so what?

C

3. BuzzLightyear

BuzzLightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree about the Panny, the PQ is amazing, and I see my bruv's Hitachi quite frequently and it doesn't compare.

Oh and its nice to see someone else still using their Panny A350 DVD player :) - what a player.

BUZZ

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The solution to the WAF problem is probably a well programmed Pronto remote. That way, even though there are many components, you can have a button for 'on' and a button for 'off', pretty much like us guys then. Mind you at £200 your kids had better be gentle with it. Mine haven't broken one yet, but I've heard horror stories. This way you can go the Panasonic PW6 route, have the best of all the worlds. Save the money for the integrated TV types and spend it on the remote. She'll thank you in the end.

5. kacang

kacang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also looking just like you and I am in the same limbo, on one hand I wanted DVI or HDMI but on the other hand I want to get a good WAF and price and great picture..

I have two more alternatives for you to look at on is the JVC 42V31, which if not mistaken has the panny glass, and looks great and has everything except DVI/HDMI. but from what I read here and there does very well on SD TV and excellent on DVD.. (again I haven't see it just read about it)

andother one might be the LG 42PX10 which does have DVI-I.

Both are 3000:1 contrast and seem to have good handling of SD tv ..

cheers,

erick

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Another vote for the Panny here!! The PW6 does have a DVI terminal board option (albeit limited to 60Hz) and the programmable remote approach will keep things simple. Even with a cheap remote you can do what i've done for me dad - one macro button that turns Sky, Plasma and Amp on - another that turns it all off. Then one more that goes into DVD mode. I did this on a fifty quid oneforall remote!!

7. VT 4 CCTV

VT 4 CCTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input so far.

Liam, thanks for your vote on the PW6. I had considered that along with the 42PE30. Question is, that i have not seen a DVI input board on any sites, or am i just blind. You got any recommendations?
    Also, the PW6 although cheaper, looks more connoseur like, compared to the 42PE30 Viera. The wife likes the look of a '' modern tv''. However the 42PE30 doesnt have DVI input. How could i upgrade the PE30 if i wished to???

I read the earlier thread on HiDef programming on from Sky in 2006. If its cheap enough and worth the channels broadcast on HiDef , i would consider HiDef from Sky. Would the 42PE30 be able to use other 3rd part devices in future to view HiDef ????

I have a Kameleon 4 in 1 remote control, so would use that if compatible.

As i am sure you can see, i havent made my mind up any further to when i started the thread, primarily that my wishlist seems to be a Plasma of 3 different models.

PW6 has input board seats. great for expansion. Good image quality, but lacks the tv looks, and as LIAM says a DVI input board.

Viera PE30, definately has the TV looks and PQ, but no DVI input.

Last but not least, the Hitachi 5200 has DVI, tuner, as far as i have read, isnt as good on PQ. Has got the TV looks as well.
    PS. I'm amazed no one seems that impressed about the great angles the Hitachi's swivel stand can achieve.

9 times out of 10 i sit in front of the TV, whereas the Mrs sits at an angle . When I view it on my own, i would also sit at an angle. Both sofa's for relaxed viewing are almost 2.5 metres from each other, and the TV, being at least 45 degrees angle. The swivel angle on the Hitachi impressed me, bar the let down on the PQ.

So there i am, wishing i could get the best of all 3, and still undecided.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I think the slim bezel of a PW6 looks loads better than a fat PE30 (or a fat Pioneer HDE for that matter). I also think it looks much better in black (so PWD6) as the cilver frame seems to stand out when the plasma is turned off...

DVI is an option for PWD6 (black) but can be used in PW6 (silver). PE30 cannot be upgraded. The plasmas are HDTV compatible and will scale down the higher res feeds to 480P (the native resolution of the plasma). Of course if Sky have said somewhere they are aiming for 2006 you can bet your balls it'll be 2007 before it's out and 2008 before it's actually worth upgrading!!

My dad has the Kameleon too - it's the four buttons along the bottom (that can be doubled up to 8 macros). But that is of course if the batteries haven't run out!!

9. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert but surely scaling down HDTV to 480p is going to eliminating a great deal of the extra resolution you're no doubt going to have to pay a premium for when the service becomes available?

Additionally, I wouldn't discount DVI input until you've had a good demo. When I saw it, I had to have it - the picture was just so much better than an analogue progressive signal running on the same panel.

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You are not just paying for resolution with HDTV, you are paying for a better quality service altogether - far less compressed and progressive scan (except 1080i) for a start. For example VCR, Sky and DVD are all broadcast at the same resolution but the quality difference is more than obvious!