1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one to buy! PANASONIC NV-GS250 or the GS400! -Is it worth the extra £s ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by wannabgeek, Apr 19, 2005.

1. wannabgeek

wannabgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi after losing my Sony DCR350 camcorder /Fuji E550 camera + Lens etc the Ins Co finally paid me out £1355 in Jessops vouchers. As i only upgraded from my Point & shoot Cannon MV530i to the Sony a few months before i lost it,so i am still a 'Noob' when it comes to using a Manual Camcorder! Now I want the Camcorder to be pretty easy to use but also have Manual settings on which i can learn on and hopefully not upgrade Camcorder for a few years as i do intend to learn the Hobby. So i narrowed down my selection to the Panasonic NV-GS250 or the GS400! So what i need to know is; 1. Is there that much difference between the two? 2. Do they both have a easy ae/auto function? 3. Being that 3 CCD's has dissadvantages in Low light conditions is the Low light really that bad compared to say a 1CCD camcorder? And lastly is there any Oem Video lights,Lenses that will fit these Panny models? Re last Qs. If i do buy the 400 model "Jessops price £1200" i will not have much cash left to buy Panasonic accessories! :confused:
    Many thanks in advance

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    1. Well I really can't be bothered to go searching around for the specs of a camcorder I have no intentions of buying. I suggest you list the differences and then perhaps we can say wheather we think it is worth the extra cost :devil:
    2. The specs should be listed somewhere on the net!
    3. 3 CCDs are not that much different in low light, but they are a lot better for giving a clear picture with better colour reproduction. I would suggest doing a simple demo in the shop to try low light recording.
    4. Well the lens will have a thread (need to find exact size of thread) that will take filters and perhaps telephoto or wide angle lenses that don't need to be made by Panasonic. Lights etc can also be bought from any company, so just do a bit of shopping around to find the best prices you can for what you require.

Also, with Jessops they will pricematch any UK based web site. So have a good look around for the best prices online and take the details with you when you go to Jessops. Sometimes a manager will not give a full pricematch, so IMO you should walk out and find another Jessops that will. Walking out a shop when you have every intention of spending money (or vouchers) wil often get the sales staff to back down and pricematch - well it has always worked for me!

Mark.

3. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ordinarily I would agree with the price match scenario but, as you are tied to Jessops with their vouchers, you may be on to a bad thing if you try the walk away tactic. Best keep your vouchers well hidden until after the price has been agreed :smashin:
    My tu'pence worth, I'm not a mad lover of the Panny 3CCD model, preferring a Sony PC350 with it's bigger, 1CCD. I'm most likely to be wrong but, 3ccds seem to be beneficial only when you go for a prosumer product. (IMO) It's all down to your own perception of things.
    Brum

4. wannabgeek

wannabgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for your help!
    I did try the price match thing! I told them them the cheapest that i've seen it for was (Pixmania) but as that was a french site they declined but agreed to match it to the next nearest (1 to 1 cameras). But when i told them i had Ins Vouchers they were adament that they could'nt do it,they also showed me the Jessops Policy regarding Insurance vouchers! Perhaps they may throw something in as i will be spending nearly £1400 with them! :D
    Has anyone had experience with either these 2 Camcorders? Apart from the extra 270k pixels on the CCD, microphone and the Manual Focus Ring and possibly the better build quality there really isnt that much dfference unless you really need a little extra Optical/Digital and a few other things like Stills being taken whilst filming,.. (which my old Cannon 530i did) If the only difference between the 2 is what i just mentioned is it worth spending that much more money! Or am i missing something! If i do go for the 400 it would be for the better build quality so it would last longer ! :)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well personally I would never buy any camera or camcorder that did not have a manual focus option. Auto focus can be slow and inaccurate under certain cercumstances such as low light conditions. Also if recording something like a stage with a band the focus can move around as the singer etc moves in & out of the focus area, so in these instances I just set an average forcus and leave it. However you may never need manual focus so unless you do want the stills option the cheaper cam sould do fine. But then if you are going to feel happier with a more sturdy build then the extra cost may well be worth it - I'm not helping much here am I :devil:
    At the end of the day all I can really suggest is that you go and play with both the cams and see which feels better to hold and use. If they both feel the same and the extra features are not required then save the cash. If however you know you'll always be thinking about the poor build quality of the cheaper cam then you need to splash the cash.

Ho Hum, why are lifes major decisions such as these never easy :suicide:

Mark.

6. wannabgeek

wannabgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mark You have given me a few pointers and i will do as you said with the two camera's! What i was hopeing to get on this thread was some users who had expereince on both machines so they could maybe sway me towards a certain model. :confused: However i'm a bit dissapointed especially as the GS400 was supposed to be one of the best camcorders in 2004! Perhaps it was all publicity! ;) Or am i wrong? Or maybe there is another model that i've missed! I need some help soon as i must get one by Friday the latest as its the wifes grans 80th Bday! :lease:

PS Don't suggest any upright models like Sony DCR PC350 (My old Cam) as i cannot get to grips with that type! :thumbsdow Remember i have a budget of £1400 but would like to inc a Video light in the budget!