Which one to buy? Opinions please

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ste0633, Mar 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ste0633

ste0633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have narrowed it down to 2. The Panasonic 26LXD500 is now under £900 or should i go for one of the new 26" 60's (i think) at a similar price. I will be using it for xbox 360 and SD tv shortly to be sky.

Thanks

2. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Did quite like the 60's when I was looking and before I got my Sharp...Just out of interest I saw the 26'' 60 in Dixons yesterday lunchtime with a Panasonic DMRES20 (I think that's the model - recorder with freeview) for 1199......which might not be the best deal around, but you might be interested - guess it depends on your budget. I have the equivalent non-freeview recorder DMRES10 and it is pretty good....not as good as my faithful 6 year old sony, but that's a different story

3. ste0633

ste0633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Out of interest which Sharp did you get?

4. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    LC32P50e

And it is a great set. If you are planning on using the TV for gaming and watching Sky it might be worth having a look at one as they are optimised for standard def tv - but can take an HDMI feed when required. I was all set to get a panny lxd52/60 and then saw it running an HDMI feed next to the Sharp - I couldn't tell the difference. I am sure there is one, but by my standards it was great.

Got it last week and I am impressed. I don' think I expected miracles with the picture on Sky so have been quite pleased. It does vary from source to source as I said in another thread. The Planet Earth last Sunday looked stunning, but some of the 'low rent' satellite channels can appear fuzzy with dodgy colours.....but i think you would find the same with most other LCDs. DVDs are great..the only problem being the progressive feed on models with certain serial numbers (before those starting with 600) which does not work and requires a firmware update.....but this just needs an engineer to come out with a laptop and I am awaiting this chap as we speak.

Tried my gamecube for a bit last weekend and again was quite impressed just using the composite feed.....perhaps the next kit i buy will be componenet fed and it will look even better. Still need to fiddle with the settings a bit with the gamecube, but there are plenty of options to fiddle with.

I know this sounds like an advert, but for my budget, instead of getting a TV, I got the TV, DVD-R, DENON AMP and speakers.....and for what i want the TV for I am more than happy. I think if you are desperate to get in with HD on the ground floor or must have the latest kit with the best connections then the pannys are excellent, but if your uses are like mine, something like the Sharp is a good bet - 699 in richer sounds.....think it might be slightly cheaper online - 70 quid for a 3 year warranty

Hope this is useful:D

5. ste0633

ste0633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very useful thanks! My only concern is that i could have got that set for £500 a few weeks back and would be gutted to spend more for it (mad i know).

6. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    don't think about it in those terms......think about it being still good value for money....I think I would have been more gutted if I had bought the panny for 1200 and realised I was just using it for the same things I could have used the Sharp for.....but without the DVD/AMP/Speakers.

7. pkalva

pkalva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I've got the 32" 60 and am very pleased with it. You can get the 32" for £1019 from John Lewis using thier price-match, see thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262433
    go to about page 40.

I think that you get a PC in with the 500 and you gte 2 HDMI slots on the 60...

or, you could always wait for the 600 !!!!

8. ste0633

ste0633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is there going to be a 26" version of the 600?

9. whitenoise

whitenoise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where have you seen the 500 for under £900? The best deal I can find at the moment is £999 from JL with the 5 year guarantee.

10. ste0633

ste0633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  11. whitenoise

whitenoise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough - although this is without any guarantee (apart from 1 yr manufacturers).

I have spent a lot of time deciding between the 500 and the 60. While I haven't bought a set yet, I have decided on the 500. I have seen the two sets side-by-side in a number of different stores with similar settings on both. IMO the picture looks better on the 500. More contrast (despite what the specs say), less noise, nicer menus, PC input, better build quality and nicer design. This is only my personal opinion though, as beauty (or in this case PQ) is in the eye of the beholder. I've learnt mag reviews and other peoples thoughts (including mine) should not be used primarily to decide which TV to get. They can for sure help, but you have to make the ultimate decision as which one you like the best. Good luck! :thumbsup: