Which one!!! TH37pv500, the TH42pv500 or the PDP435XDE??????

Mikeyg47

Standard Member
Hi Guys....

Ok..I have narrowed my search down to the final three screens. The Pansonic TH37pv500, the TH42pv500 or the PDP435XDE.

I just wondered if you guys could help me out in making this decision as I want to get one ordered asap :)

Cheers chaps

Mike

Thatsnotmynaim

Did you look at the TH42PHD8? I had a PV500, but have just changed it for a TH42PHD8 as the PV500 couldn't be tweaked easily enough to get the most out of it with my scaler, which was very frustrating. The PV500 in my opinion is very big for it's screen size, sits tall and a bit ugly, the 435 and it's new 436 have an external media box so a bit of a pain as it needs an extra shelf on my rack. The TH42PHD8 is much simpler and neater for what I need, I do not need built in speakers or tuner etc. I'm now running the TH42PHD8 at it's native resolution of 1024x768 via a single cable fed from my scaler and it is much cool.

E

EDDO11

like you mike i have been having the same problem(if you can call getting a new plasmer a problem) choosing.I have gone for the 436XDE COZ IT LOOKS ACE, thats my technical opinion.
I looked at about six plasmers but the reviews pushed me towards the pioneer plus my mates got one and its superb. I havnt looked at the 37PV500 because i wanted the larger size, but its been awarded as you probably all ready know. If you want tech specs guys on here will tell you more than me but just demo each plasmer, with topspecs like these i think it just comes down to personal preference :thumbsup:

A

andrewkay

I have seen demo of the TH42pv500 vs the PDP436XDE. Both were fed from Denon HDMI DVDs and both were truely stunning... but the Panasonic displayed a "ghost" image inside the screen when viewed from anything but directly in front (not image ghosting of the type caused by a poor picture). This was an image that seemed to be an inch behind the front of the screen where the main image is shown and it was visible when any static image or text was displayed for a few moment. None of this was visible on the Pioneer and both tvs were showing the same DVD in sych. It was explained by the retailer as being caused by the filter?

I ruled the Panasonic out based on picture and the fact that it is large for its screen size and the surround detailing is VERY messy (less so on 37in version).

I am now wondering about the disadvantages of the separate media box and also pondering whether it is better to get a panel without the extra internal workings of a tv. Any thoughts on this dilemma?

Andy

G

gcoops

I have just taken delivery of my 436XDE and love it! :thumbsup: I find the seperate media box convenient, no more faffing around the back of the screen trying to plug in cables.

At the moment I have mine set-up on top of my TV cabinet, with the media box, DVD recorder and Telewest box inside - protected from my young children. This means the various cables connecting all the kit together are all very short and cheaper.

In future I am looking to wall mount the screen and the advantage of the media box is that there are only 2 cables to conceal, a mains cable and the umbilical to the mediabox.

Mikeyg47

Standard Member
:confused: Damn..... now I am even more confused :confused:

I want a silver surround...I dont think the Pioneer has a silver one...does it??

T

Tainted

436fde owners... any of you connected these upto a PC via any means. On the verge of swapping my PD4200 and in a simliar situation of deciding between the Hitachi 6600 or the 436fde....

I need perfect 720p support from a PC.

Getting a new plasma should be fun??? :confused:

L

Lionheart

Mikeyg47 said:
Hi Guys....

Ok..I have narrowed my search down to the final three screens. The Pansonic TH37pv500, the TH42pv500 or the PDP435XDE.

I just wondered if you guys could help me out in making this decision as I want to get one ordered asap :)

Cheers chaps

Mike
Whatever you go for Mikey try and stick with the larger screens if you can (unless cost or small room size dictate otherwise) as you will no doubt wish you had gone for the bigger screens after a few weeks ...good luck on whatever you get and welcome to the forums :)

O

orange66

andrewkay said:
I have seen demo of the TH42pv500 vs the PDP436XDE. Both were fed from Denon HDMI DVDs and both were truely stunning... but the Panasonic displayed a "ghost" image inside the screen when viewed from anything but directly in front (not image ghosting of the type caused by a poor picture). This was an image that seemed to be an inch behind the front of the screen where the main image is shown and it was visible when any static image or text was displayed for a few moment. None of this was visible on the Pioneer and both tvs were showing the same DVD in sych. It was explained by the retailer as being caused by the filter?

I ruled the Panasonic out based on picture and the fact that it is large for its screen size and the surround detailing is VERY messy (less so on 37in version).

I am now wondering about the disadvantages of the separate media box and also pondering whether it is better to get a panel without the extra internal workings of a tv. Any thoughts on this dilemma?

Andy
Thats interesting. My Panny pv500 42 just went bang, and they may write it off, leaving me choosing bewteen a new one and the new Pio. I have to say the Pio HD that was out in June, just couldnt hold a candle to the Panny with HD for me, it had more noise than a rock concert, but the panel looked soooo good, I love the style of it. I will have to check out the new Pio now, I can see.

Mikeyg47

Standard Member
And the Pioneer in silver..can you get it???? she wont let me have black... although... I told her the same..but for a different reason... ;) :D

A

andrewkay

Saw the old Pioneer today - i think it is a 435 - and it displayed the "ghosting due to poor colour filters when viewed off axis" [see now I have a more impressive jargon]. It was less visible than on the Panasonic, but still there. This problem is not present at all on the 436 model, and this is commented on in the What HIFi Award review.

I also looked at the Hitachi 7200 and did not see the problem to anything like the same extent as the Panasonic, but it was still there in small part, not really intrusive though.

Andy

Trending threads

Top Bottom