1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one? TH-42PWD6 or TH-42PWD7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by plasmagirl, Jan 3, 2005.

1. plasmagirl

plasmagirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Please can someone make my mind up for me?

Ok. I have narrowed my selection down to two screens and two packages

Bundle A.
    1x Panasonic TH-42PWD6 Plasma Display - With VGA input
    1x Hitachi HTDK185 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD system with Freeview Digital TV Tuner
    1x Tilting Wallmount
    1x JS Technologies Scart RGB to Plasma VGA Converter

Bundle B.
    1 X Panasonic TH42PWD7 42” Plasma
    1 X Toshiba SD44 DVD Home Cinema system
    1 X Slim-line tilting plasma wall mount
    1 X Input board - TY42TM6B (Composite/ S-Video/ Component video board)
    1 X Composite video lead & BNC adaptor

The difference between the two prices is £200 which one is a better buy? Also which terminal board do I need to connect my sky and DVD box?

Many Thanks for your reply.

Salma

2. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all plasma girl if your looking at watching the latest in awesome sky tv broadcast in about 15 months dont look at this plasma becuase it wont show a thing when you plug the sky hi definition box into it.
    Others available will, Not only that but this plasma has a low reselution compared the likes of Hitachi, Fujitsu, Pioneer and others.
    D-vhs is under reveiw here too right now which is the usa's (DIGITAL) version of video tape and has a picture so good u can almost touch it, but yet again if they go ahead with this the panasonic is useless.
    Although this got top reveiws us dealers couldnt understand how becuase its not future proof and there are better pictures.

3. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Salma

Whats the price of the two packages?
    I think it may be questionable as to wether or not the leads suggested for the two products are the best for the optimal video performance.

Karl

4. plasmagirl

plasmagirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi karl,

The prices are as follows for the pwd6 it's £1643.00 and for the PWD7 it's £1865.00.

I have just been on the phone to a dealer in both plasma's and has adviced that the NEC's range is coming out which is maybe worth waiting for as it will encompass (high Def TV?). Also he said the difference between the PWD7 and 6 is so little it's not even noticable.

So I am kinda swinging to the PWD6 or just waiting a bit longer to see what else is on offer.

Also I don't watch sky really it's just the films that I end up seeing.

Salma

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    so you think......

7. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    True.

According to the HDCP license agreement all analouge outputs are shut down.

A scaler might help, but will introduce judder and cost as much as the plasma itself.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £800 for a lumagenDVI not exactly as much as the plasma itself.... and there will hope fully be a consession from sky (HDMI support at 50HZ is so rare at the moment very few people could recieve the service if if they were prepared to pay for it.... and there is the option of a box to either remove HDCP or allow an analogue access...

9. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well plasma girl it would seem wise to go for the panasonic in my eyes becuase your not going to use Hi def and on dvd the panasonic does look good for the little cost involved compared to the Pioneer and the Fujitsu.

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sorry, but I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that a HiDef Sky box will 'not' output any analogue signals? :confused:

Or are you saying no HiDef via component outputs? If so, no problem. Send a Hidef signal to the DVI board and the PW6/7 will still display the signal but at a lower resolution. Right?

11. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No the panasonic doesnt show a pic in Hi def mode becuase of its res, most other screens and projectors will scale the the res down to fit the screens the ability like the in focus projectors. Hi def sky can be sent via component ive tryed D-vhs the same way and it looks nice but the panasonic wont show it still becuase of the res.

karl

12. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    plasma girl
    go for bundle B !
    toshiba is probably a little better in terms of surround sound and DVD by my guess and you get the component video input board :) although the dvd player should have better video out then the composite lead supplied so a component lead if possible would do far better assuming there is an out for that on it

13. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Are you sure? I ask as I'm positive many people have said the opposite, in that the Panasonics will show a hidef signal but at a lower res.

14. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Hi all

Panasonics (standard definition and high definition panels) will accept Hi Def material. We have Hi Def material running from an HTPC in one of our demo rooms to a 37" Viera (via VGA) and the result is quite impressive especially taking into account it's a standard definition screen.

HDTV - now that's another matter which has been aired extensively in other threads.

Regards

Alastair :hiya:

15. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The DVI board is HDCP-compatible, but does not support HDTV at 50 Hz. Hence no Sky-HD, based on Sky's recent press release.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Really can it now carl? so how do you know this cause sky dont broadcast Hi DEF yet.... and panny will accept all HD resolutions via RGBHV and VUV analogue connections

17. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Becuase ive tryed HD through a JVC D-VHS player on component its how in focus are deming it at the moment with there 777 £20,000 projector and it looks sooo nice sky.
    Obviously the sky should do the same thing
    :devil:

18. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how ever the only thing questionable is wether or not the panny accepts HD through its component input but generally HD can be sent via component. Wish i tryed the D-vhs player on the panny, pioneer and hitachi when we had it

19. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If it's anything like our version of the package (package B) the leads are Belkin PURE AV which are decent screened cables. Would be nice to upgrade to fancier stuff but at the price point I think it's good to get going with until upgraditis hits again!! Our version includes a syncblaster and component leads in addition to the standard one so you effectively get one component, one composite or s-video and one RGB scart.

r.e. HDTV - the Panasonic will take 576p @ 50Hz which should be more than enough resolution for the SD screens (42PWD6, 37PWD7, 42PWD7). I've only played with one HD-STB though, but it did give the option to output everything as 576p so all may not be lost. All depends on *exactly* what Sky's box will and won't do. HD content from a PC is easy, the connection is made at 60Hz DVI and most HD content available for download is 60Hz so no judder or incompatbility would exist there.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    they will aslo accept 720p via RGBHV which is the optimum for the SD panel IMO

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK i think you must have missed the BIT HDTV from sky not having analogue outputs (no component no RGBHV) only outputtind HD over Digital HDMI (HDCP DVi) HD from PC and D-VHS has been around a long time but that is not the issue..................the issue is SKY and what they will broadcast and Quick Q for you what looks better a DVD or Sky movie broadcast? both are same RES 576i so just allow for HDTV to not be as good as D-VHS

22. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate thats what i ment earlier

23. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This maybe so but when i received info first time round while i was still working in a shop not long ago it was said to be that sky would also have the compatable analogoue outs but then again not all info we get is right or certain at times but it comes from the right sources.

And answer to your question all though i havent had the ability to try is that on the average broadcast using whatever SKY boxes usually the DVD looks much better but then i suppose it also depends on what equipment your using.technically speaking though the DVD is cleaner as a source and are normally better quality in terms of build then the sky box assuming that you are talking about something above the lower quality.sky has to go through a lot of processing and air space before it even gets here so its got a hard job to gain any benefit over DVD. Well thats my assumption but i maybe wrong