• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which one? Sony KDL 40W4500 or Panasonic TH42PZ81B

Bevsi79

Standard Member
Hello all,

I'll be buying a my first plasma / LCD tv soon. Ive got it down to two models:-

Sony KDL 40W4500 and the Panasonic TH42PZ81B

Taking in the following criteria, what would you advise?

1. I will be sitting about 2.8 metres (about 9ft) away from the screen.
2. I will be using my XBOX360 on it.

I'm really interested in the Freesat option in the Panasonic which the Sony doesnt have. I have a Sony RDR-HXD870 and a pretty top end HiFi system (£1500) which I'll be conecting up to it.

As you know there's a 2" screen size difference and one's a plasma and the others an LCD but they both have the 100Hz and excellent black reproduction (so I've read).

Would the plasma screen be a little softer and less pixelated than the LCD?

You're advice will be much appreciated...

J

JDM121

THe plasma would be better, no question. Get both in a dakr room, calibrate them both play a film and you will see that the plasma is far better.

Bevsi79

Standard Member
Thanks for your advice... so are plasma's considered a superior picture to LCD's in general? I read on this forum that LCD is beginning to leave plasma behind. Is there any truth in that?

Ive read that for anything under 40" an LCD would be the best bet and for 40" plus its a plasma... is that correct?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom