Which one Sony Ericsson K800i or the Nokia N80

mhorton

Hi all.

It's driving me up the wall. My O2 contact runs out on the 24th July and I really really really can't decide which one to get. I currently have a Sony Ericsson W800i and I do love the menus etc. Just there's something about the N80 (black) that I love. I can only think that it was because I had a 7650 then a 6600 then a 6630 before moving to SE.

What I need to know are any problems or concerns people have had since having either phone. Plus which one you would have.

It really is driving me nuts sitting here night after night looking at pictures reading reviews. Was in the O2 shop for an hour looking and playing with them as well. The sale assistant was getting annoyied as well.

Any help will be great.

Pug72

Well I just got a N80 and like it a lot. The wifi is great, especially as I can transfer files using Windows Media Connect (already installed for the Xbox360 use).

Only prob I have is the lack of software at the mo as it's 3rd gen S60.

Got a great clip on clear case that protects it whilst keeping the good looks.

I too had a 7650 in the past and loved the design, prob why I like the look of the N80 so much.

D

davethetekkie

The Sony's have previously had build quality issues on the K series... and recent Nokias have crap, buggy software...

Take your pick.

actually... that's quite unfair... sorry... The K800 does seem to be a little over-hyped... the Nokias DO seem to have software issues, but in all fairness no more than most manufacturers at the moment (with only a couple of exceptions)...

malford

Im on O2 and recieved one of the first N80's and all I can say is I wish I hadn't given my old 7610 to my nephew.

N80 is a great communication tool and the wifi is great for me as we have a open hotspot at work which means superfast internet browsing for free.
If you use the Krussel case it can be a bit on the bulky side and it offers limited side protection.

Downside:

Battery life:
is very poor indeed, even with all the apps closed down and the "log file" turned off its still got to be charged every night.

Signal strength:
Compared with the 7610 the signal is non existant.
My signal at home with 7610 was 2-3 bars. Signal with N80 is zero.

My firmware version is v3.0617.0.6

Their is a newer version available and will get my N80 done asap and report back if their is any improvement on the issues raised above.

g00n3r

Had both, tried to persist with the N80, but it's a buggy brick with an under capacity battery.

Apart from wifi the K800 seems better in most respects.

The N80 is here gathering dust and the K800 is being used now.

mhorton

g00n3r said:
Had both, tried to persist with the N80, but it's a buggy brick with an under capacity battery.

Thanks for that.

SILVERBACK

g00n3r said:

24grams heavier,4mm`s wider,4mm`s thicker and 10mm shorter when closed,HARDLY a huge difference is it :rotfl: :hiya: the n80 is still a disspointment to me and i cant argue with the fact it just has to many bugs and the battery is absolutely terrible and thats me understating the battery.

the screen is nicer than the k800i and the voice activation is the best i have seen on any phone not to mention it is a hell of a lot nicer looking than the k800i imho.the k800i is just a boring clone of the last k750i and its nothing jaw dropping at all to look at and that bloody joystick control is laughable. but it has a lovely camera and the battery life is much better than the n80.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
davethetekkie said:
The Sony's have previously had build quality issues on the K series...

I haven't got the K800i but have the K700i and D750i and both units are still going strong - no problems with build quality for me.

D

davethetekkie

when you take ten calls a day at O2 for customer's who've picked SonyEricsson handsets and the joystick's died after six months DEMANDING replacements when it's a case of after that amount of time it's a warranty job it change your perspective, trust me. The fact that SonyEricsson's engineers like the phrase 'water damage - not covered by warranty' a little too much just adds to my headache and my severe dislike of the brand (not to mention the previous experience I've had with Sony handsets was less than pleasant (tho I liked the jog wheel, the fact that it couldn't hold a call for more than 3 seconds made it useless as a phone and my even older BRICK lost it's battery capacity 100% faster than any other phone I've ever owned). Nokias are complained because of dodgy software usually, although the slide mechanisms on the 6111s are another personal favourite... O2's own brand sets also seem to be a favourite for complaints. And Motorola? They've taken the edge in terms of design and style... but MY WORD... the software on those things is appalling! My Motorola used to manage to call my home number when asking for my PIN (and it was supposed to be turned off on a desk with nothing touching the power button and no charger plugged in I only knew about it cos my dad came into the room asking why I was calling the house phone...)

I've had only two complaints about Samsung handsets... one of which was a D600 with a dodgy slide and the other was a buggy E720 which was widely seen as a disappointment when compared with the original E700 even though it had more features. I'm just waiting to see how the Benq-Siemens handsets fare... but Siemens was always a decent brand, but not really notable enough next to Nokia...

mhorton

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm going to give the N80 a try. I like the fact it has more of a WOW factor.

SILVERBACK

mhcq2002 said:
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm going to give the N80 a try. I like the fact it has more of a WOW factor.

oh it definately has that,like "wow were the bloody hell has my battery power gone" and "wow how come my camera cant take as good a pic as my mates cheap k750i lol" lol but seriously the k800 is bound to be king amongst pay as you go phones withing 4 months while the n80 will still be a bit more upperclass than the choice of the chav imho.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom