Which one? PS3 or Samsung BD P1000?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Shazzaj, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Shazzaj

Shazzaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: My husband and I have recently bought the Toshiba HD E1 HD DVD player for £449.99. We have had it for a over a week now and it is amazing. The picture is out of this world. We have already got seven HD dvds to watch on it. We had them before we got the player. Yes that is sad. We are so impressed with it that we can't wait to also get a Blu-Ray machine. The reason for this posting is this.... What would be better? The Samsung BD P1000 or the PS3 for half the price?
    We aren't game lovers so would only be getting the PS3 to play Blu-Ray dvds on. Is is going to be better to pay the extra and get a stand alone Blu-Ray player like the Samsung or get the PS3?
    Could you please help?

2. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,104
  3. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    I would say definetly look at a standalone - if you don't you will miss out on LPCM audio (unless you have an amp that handles multi-channel LPCM over HDMI) - more than enough to justify any extra price IMHO. Not to mention other benefits: wife friendly, can use universal remote control, analogue DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD (on Panasonic model), LCD counter etc

Besides - who knows what incompatibilities importing a PS3 from US/Japan may have when the service launches in the UK. I know games are region free but what about the online side? Will it all be compatible (the PSP wasn't).

5. jamrag

jamrag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive already got a PS3 that i bought in thailand a week ago.
    Cost me £430 uk pounds.

Seems like a lot of money doesnt it but theve only been out 1-2 months in the countrys that now sell them, youd be lucky to get 1 for less than 800 dollors in the US also so i cant see the PS3 being any less than £400 when it comes out in march ( talk about it being delayed further ).

6. jamrag

jamrag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Games for the PS3 currently can be got ( originals ) for 20-30 uk pounds in thailand, i reckon theyll be 40-50 when it gets released in uk.

We always get screwed over:thumbsdow

On a side note if anyone gets a PS3 from abroad then it seems they dont work using HDMI cables to link them up to a high def tv.
    Ive managed to get round it by using a component AV cable and get all the high res i would of if id used a HDMI.
    Use an optical for sound.

7. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    HDMI works fine with my US PS3 and HD Tv:)

8. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    lol you should read some threads.

The hdmi problem is due to the settings, you need to put component or composite in first then set the video option to hdmi and set the resolution to 720p and 1080, the ps3 loads a default resolution on startup probably 480i or 480p which some tv`s do not supports via HDMI :) it will work though :)

9. jamrag

jamrag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried using composite cable that came with ps3 and changing it to hdmi but it doesnt have the hdmi as an option on video settings when ps3 is turned on.

It seems to only have scart, composite or component, i dont see an hdmi option.

When resetting the ps3 ( holding down power for 6 secs ) while turning on it auto detects the hdmi cabel. I click yes that i do want to use it and then i get a blank screen :(

Annoying as hell.

Thanks for the info though.

10. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    did you run the update ?