1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one? Panasonic EH60, Pioneer 530 or Sony 710

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bart_ophetnet, Aug 9, 2005.

1. bart_ophetnet

bart_ophetnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I'm the next one to ask advice choosing a DVD HD recorder. My VHS broke down so I'm entering the world of DVD HD recorders. I narrowed down to:
    - Panasonic DMR EH60
    - Pioneer DVR-530H-S
    - Sony RDR-HX710
    Earlier candidates JVC DR-MH30SE and Philips DVDR 725H fell off my list due to quite some reviews mentioning technical failures (and I need -R(W) recording for my Sony DVD player). I think Sony won't be my choice to since it doesn't support Guide+ which sounds very convenient. Further is has some issues like weak display, non-robust remote control.

Main application will be (by the way: I live in the Netherlands):
    - frequent recording of programmes to watch within two weeks (soaps, films, etc)
    - recording of films etc for longer storage
    - copying commercial and non-commercial VHS tapes to DVD
    - copying (and limited editing) of miniDV (JVC digital camcorder) to DVD
    - probably watching jpg photos from CD (or possibly DVD in the future)

We don't have digital TV, neither a surround system (yet).

Currently I found the following results but don't know if they're right.
    * Panasonic (though very few information found)
    - about 100 euro more expensive on the internet
    - seems to offer all necessary options like Guide+, scart RGB in/out, DV-in/iLink, commercial skip, supports many recording formats, possibility to record VHS to HD and then DVD (is this correct???)) :confused:
    * Pioneer
    - no +R(W) (however, is this a problem??)
    - no support of recording VHS to HD and then DVD (is this correct???) :confused:
    - seems to offer all necessary options like Guide+, scart RGB in/out, DV-in/iLink, commercial skip, supports many recording formats)

:lease: help. Is the Panasonic worth the extra money or is the Pioneer a good choice (cheaper, probably no other problems than no +R(W)support)

Thanx, Bart

2. Photon

Photon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem: should i buy the eh60 for 700 euros or the 710 for 600?
    Help!

3. bart_ophetnet

bart_ophetnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday evening I have decided to order the Pioneer 530. On top of the things I mentioned in my previous post, the following were the conclusive arguments:
    - I don't need a top-of-the bill dvd recorder so why pay more money than needed (and I am not sure there will be so much difference between the Pioneer and the Panasonic)
    - The Panasonic won't be available until September, since our VCR died we need a replacement a lot sooner!
    - The lack of +R(W) recording capability on the Pioneer is less important to me than the lack of Guide+ on the Sony.

4. Photon

Photon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic is available now in Belgium for €699.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    The difference is quite noticeable - comparing SP modes the Panasonic has noteably better grading (especially noticeable at fade ins/outs).

6. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Bart, just wondering what you meant, in your initial post, when you said the Sony had a weak display - is that the picture from the HDD or from the DVD?

7. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. I was in the same dillema and decided to wait for the Panasonic.
    The Pionner has some advantages though:
    Double layer support, Hi bitrate mode to save to HD(HQ+, or whatever it's called) , Firewire out. Yes, it's probably the only one to have Firewire out.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Just a couple of points:

AFAIK the new models (433/530/630) have dropped the Firewire output and now only have DV input. Certainly the test models I was sent did not do DV out - I couldn't get an answer from Pioneer as to whether this was a fault or 'feature' but I have subsequently read that they are only DV inputs.

It's worth noting it only supports DVD-R DL - a brand new format that seems to have very little compatibility with other DVD players. By contrast the Sony RDR-HX510 supports DVD+R DL and although it doesn't support bitsetting it does seem more compatible than the 'minus' version.

Again the Sony does this better - when you use the high bitrate mode on the 510 you can then re-encode digitally using a 2pass encoding system. This gives significantly better results than the Digital>Analogue>Digital re-encode on the Pioneer. Of course if you want to solely watch content on the HDD it makes no difference - but note that if recording from a source such as Sky or Freeview using the HQ+ mode on either machine makes no difference in quality to using XP on Panasonic, Samsung or Toshiba machines.

9. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @Rasczak

Thanks for the info, didn't knew those details, I'm glad I opted for waiting then, I almost got the 530...

10. netley

netley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about the new Pioneer or other HDD

Do these machines have an EPG that is able to be integrated with my NTL cable service? If so do they need an internet connection?

Do they then effectively offer Sky+ functionality?

Cheers

11. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thinking about this myself. I have NTL cable and wouldn't mind it if the Guide Plus+ system on the Pioneer could be used to control the cable box.

Actually I think it can through G-link (From the Guide Plus+ web-site):

The GUIDE Plus+® system controls your connected external receiver through its G-LINK® feature, allowing you seamless access for viewing and recording to all the major channels that you receive

This means that whether you have analogue or digital TV service via either terrestrial, cable or satellite reception, the GUIDE Plus+ system will provide programme listings for all the major free and pay channels you receive and allow you to record from those channels automatically through your connected external receiver.

You just need an external receiver that's supported - can someone confirm this?

Don't know about Sky+ though.

12. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a Pioneer 530 for a week before it went faulty and am now waiting to get another one. I can confirm that it works perfectly with Sky+ and I seem to remember in the Guide+ setup there was an option for NTL cable. Not absolutely certain though.