1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one of these ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kevH, Jun 16, 2005.

1. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Just a little advice / help from you guys here if you can.

Ive been monitoring the site and just looking about for my first MP3/DAP player primarily to get my 500 or so CD's onto a player and one with the ability to store photos too.
    After reading countless threads here ive sorta narrowed it down to three:

Ipod Photo 30 or 60gb
    Sony Vaio VGF AP1L
    Toshiba Gigabeat F40

My main concern is good sound as im going to be playing the player through a full Bang & Olufsen system via an AV connection.Although i will probably will use this as a portable device ie on holiday etc etc.

It seems the Ipod has all the prerequisites in the way of connectivity and ability to view photos through the tv whilst listening to music but the general consensus is the Sony & Toshiba produce better sound quailty at similar bitrates etc etc.

Im not one for following fashion and to be honest am leaning against the Ipod purely on that basis an would welcome any comments on the style over substance with regard to sound from the Ipod as ive heard all good things about the Sony other than the Sonicstage software. This maybe not an issue as ive never had a player and seemingly 3.1 is quite good now and i personally have nothing to judge it against which may well be a plus !!
    The Vaio Music transfer system seems to work quite well according to the Vaio forum (people who obviously know all about Sonicstage).

The Toshiba is obviously "too new" to really comment about other than the fact it looks a good piece of kit.

So in esssence i suppose im looking for an approx 40Gb player with good sound reproduction at a reasonable bitrate with the photo ability ?
    Any constructive help for a HDD player newbie ??

Thanks in advance
    Kevin

2. metal_jester

metal_jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Try and listen to them yourself.

If battery life isnt a concern then I would defo go for the i-pod you just have to look at the reviews compared to its market competitors to see it is the top rated for sound.
    One more thing make sure you buy a dock at 25 quid, to connect your i-pod to your hifi.