Which one of these receivers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Volumius, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at a new receiver to be the center of my home theater that exists out:

2x Mission 733i floor standing speakers
    1x Mission 73c center speaker
    2x Mission 73s rear speakers
    1x JBL E150P Subwoofer

My old receiver was a Denon AVR-1804 and when I watched movies I always had the volume turned up to -05db and it still wasn’t that loud for cinemathrills. I now seek for a new receiver witch will have enough power to feed my setup. Those 733i speakers are known for the fact that they are really power hungry so. I want to have a spectacular home theatre sound with lows that have enough depth to shake your seat and with crisp clear highs and detailed surround. The receiver must have very good power reserves and be capable to fill my room with good exciting cinema sound. Also, it must not sound laid-back. The receiver must not fall down in power output when I have 5 channels driven. Which of the 4 receivers below can be sufficient enough for some real exciting movie delivery at a decent volume?

My list of choices

Yamaha RX-V1500
    Marantz SR7500
    Denon AVR-2805
    Pioneer VSX-D1014

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think you'll be happy with any of those recievers, i have a 2500 and it is good and powerful. The marantz are know for their high current amplifiers, which will be espectialy good for demanding speakers.

They will all perform well, but look at what features you want and consider that some speakers are brighter than others so should be matched with more mellow amps. I.e the Denon is considered bright, so matching with mission is traditionaly considered a no-no. But i truth if you've never heard any different, these will all sound good.

Music would be best served by the Marantz
    Films would be best served by the Yamaha (considering you have mission speakers)

I'm not sure about your sub, but if this doesn't provide the bass and room shaking you want then consider a new sub aswell. Remember the db level is the pressure so i doubt the sound would increase much in volume, just clarity etc. Although if you have inefficient power section or possibly cheap bell cable this might reduce the volume.

I'm not saying expensive cable is the answer just a replacement cheap thin strand stuff you usualy get free, if your using that.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    How big is your room?

4. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have good cables, very thick 4.0mm ixos wire and my subwoofer is also not the problem, I have borrowed the pioneer 712 for a while and that one delivered less impact through my sub then my old denon 1804 did. I did not like the sound of my denon 1804 because it was way to warm and laid back, but on the other hand, the pioneer 712 was too bright and aggressive for me and lacking bass. Both receivers also did not have much ample power to feed my mission speakers. My room is 4meter by 3.5meter So with this experience, which new receiver of list above would be best suited for me?

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    From personal experiece I can suggest the yamaha, and i've never heard anything said bad about the 1500/2500 but with regard to something thats inbetweent he denon and the pioneer? It may just be that neither model could provide enough power and authority for your speakers, and its also worth remebering that the higher Pioneers have some pretty rediculose setup options, so you can tune it to your taste with some time and effort. The yammy 2500 also has similar options to a lesses extent.

If you thought the denon was to warm then i would think the marantz would be far to much to that side, for your taste.

Try and get a demo of a few amps if you can, because everyone hears differently (it seems).

6. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new marantz line should be a bit more agressive i heard from people, is what hifi going to review the sr7500 soon? It would be nice if they did.

I read much people saying yamaha's lean a bit much to brightness and do not deliver much bass. Others say yamaha has a flat neutral sound :confused: Or is a Yamaha 1500 perfectly capable of pounding out the low bass frequency's and deliver movies with power and scale? A 2500 or 3805 or something else is no option, i am bound to a certain budget and am willing to keep me on that ;)

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You can get a 2500 from germany for about £550 all in, then again you can get a 1500 for £450ish. The prices in germany for Yamaha are very good, everything else seems suspicusly the same price as that here in the UK though.

Its reported that yamaha have calmed down on the brightness, just has marantz seemenly became more agressive. The yamaha is also good for music, with pure direct being excellent, it really does get extra bass and clarifity out of big floorstanders.

Sound for pound is important to me, thats why I went with a yamaha from germany (could have gotten the 1500 but i really wanted the GUI on the 2500).

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Unless you buy the Yamaha 2500 from Germany, where you can pick it up for around £550 delivered! :)

9. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in The Netherlands, but can you post me the link where u saw the yamaha for that low price?

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    There is an etire thread devoted to the different shops in germany that offer them at the cheap prices. It was pretty big but provides you with all the information you'll need, it was called something like rxv-650 cheap from germany.

11. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would the onkyo 602 also be good? I have not included it in my list because onkyo often gets bad reviews

12. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a few research and some listening i have narrowed down my selection to only the Yamaha RX-V1500 and the Pioneer VSX-1014-S. Which of these 2 receivers can deliver me movies with the best bass impact and excitement? Which of these receivers is the best when it comes to power delivery? And does someone know the differences in sound between these 2 contenders?

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think as you have narrowed it down to two, you should try and get a demo of both if you can in the same place with same speakers.

I do like my 2500 which is almost the same as the 1500, the 1014 is ment to be very simialr to the ax3 (just with out the firewire). I think the pioneer is considered brighter than the yamaha, and the yamaha is considered better for music. On the movie front I think they will be about equal and both highly regarded by AV press, but comparing them at the same place is important.

To be honest though, i think either will be very good and the differences between them is probably mor to do with features rather than sound qualilty. They will sound different, but both will be good. I think the pioneer will have more setup options though, so you can tweek it alot more.

14. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx gaz, anyone else with some user opinions?

15. smiley1

smiley1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i have 2014. I can't compare it to 1500 since i haven't heard it yet.

I have speakers totaly different than yours (Dali) and i must say i'm very satisfied with sound quality and power.
    Maybe you allready found an article about power measurement - it delievers 115 Watts 5 channels driven simultanously. I didn't listen to it above 0 dB, since the sound pressure level was well above reasonable.

I think i will stick with it for few years :smashin:

16. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i have not found an article with power measurement for the pioneer 1014/2014 or yamaha 1500/2500. Does anyone know links to articles where these receivers are measured? I would very very much appreciate it!

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Going back to the Marantz for a moment, Home Cinema reviewed its bigger brother the SR8500 (the SR8500 is based on the SR7500) and it came out on top in their group test, bettering the mighty Pioneer AX5 too.

What Home Cinema reviewed the SR7500 in a full system this month and the system as a whole received a 93% rating and editors system of the month award, the sound section of the system recieved a 5/5 rating.

I believe Home Cinema Choice are reviewing the SR7500 in their next issue too :).

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think at this level you should have no fear of buying a lemon. Instead you should consentrate on the features. If you believe that the sound will be of a big difference then truly, only a home loan will alow you to decide. Of all you orionaly short listed, any would be considered a significant step up from those recievers that you have tried and i think will be able to drive you speakers with relative ease, although 115 watts/channel all channels driven is very impressive (bit hard to believe to be honest).
    For movies I would say it's out of Denon/Pioneer/Yamaha, but if the new Marantz has conquered film as well as music then I think it's probably down to features and price (and looks to, which yamaha fall a bit on and it has an 'unusual' remote at least in tearms of ergonimics) .

19. saaliqeh

saaliqeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    As posted elsewhere on the forums, I have just purchased a Marantz 7500. Still have n't set it up properly but have been very impressed with it, especially for music. The sound is very musical and really envelopes the litener. I like Kazman have started re-listening to all my old CD's thanks to this amp.
    I would whole heartedly recommend that you give it a demo before finally deciding.

20. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did compare these two and a denon 3805 (and had a Marantz7400,) for nearly 8 hrs over two days but my friends in the trade so was able to try before i did buy ,i found the Pioneer 1014 better for both film and stereo . it has a lot more grunt in my opinion why i dont know but ive read it is really a much more expensive model under the skin ,it sounds like it ,, and its so clear ,also it is wonderfull playing surround music 7.1 speakers or 5.1 ie dvd music vidsits fabulous imho , films its wonderfull as well ,you must try what you can i think its a pioneer whitewash best by a mile , but not only I prefered and liked the pioneer by far the best the demo guy agreed the pioneer seems to have more grunt , also i thought it better built and i had worrys with a old yamaha A1 before so reliability was on my mind ,so the pioneer imho you wont be dissapointed if you go with the 1014 its one hell of a great product for the price an easy pick and underpriced it just blew even a Denon 3805 away i thought when i listened to both and same up against the yam closest but i returned it a bit dull sounding to my ears but still second best the Marantz7400 now 7500.all only my opinion.

21. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Are you saying it was second to the Marantz, or the Marantz was second?

22. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if i did not make it clear, the second best was to my earsout of what i tried the Marantz 7400 with out a doubt very nice , a little dull imho to the better imho Pioneer vsx 1014, but i returned the Marantz only because my young brother bought the Pioneer, and only after a long review he did , after i changed my speakers to some decent Tannoys i could feel the Marantz a little to laid back imho,. we luged the Tannoys to my bros place and i much prefered his Pioneer 1014 after much music and films we tried, for the sort of stuff i wanted to use a receiver for mainly rock music dvd and plain cd s , also loud war / action movies , then i went as mentioned to review the receivers mentioned, before selling the Marantz7400 at a tiny profit and buying the Pioneer!, and i am happy with my choice in fact it suites the pricey for me 6 Tannoy revolution 2 floorstanders and matching center very well also have a Bk 200 sub that i am still playing with it all sounds very much well just powerfull and in complete control and with the great imho Limit 900se dvd player better than a cinima system should ! , ie i was not expecting this to sound as good as my older and sadly no longer with me Rotel pre / 2 power amps ect ect did when i just had hi fi , this comes close and i believe the Pioneer 1014 is the magic ingredient! but i must allways say imho or face a ban maybe ? so thats my humble opinion. :lease:

23. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Face a ban- why??? For not liking the Marantz? ;)

24. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Don't worry about banning, I don't think this forum is as bad as the neighbouring DVD player one, which seems to get a bit angry at times. In this one everyone takes everyone else opinion as exactly that, and as things are so subjective no ones gonna say that your wrong and start a war.

It sounds like you like the pioneers forward and attacking sound, where as others would like the marantz as it would be considred more sutble and revealing. But as everyones ears and tastes are different so are the products they like. It just shows that demo'ing is truely the only way to find what your exactly after.

25. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks i did not understand the dvd forum staff were not as nice as the people running this one,? i had a lot of trouble putting my opinions down and saying what i found the best products but oimho, and when i mentioned negatives i found then some sulkies got there nicks in a right old twist i thought so ,and i was banned three times, wow !, so its nice if people can set down there likes and dislikes here then without getting thrown off eh ! even if i prefere some non Marantz products on this forum, well i found also you gotta like denon or marantz on the dvd forum you have to like mourdant short or quad on the speaker forum or face a ban or maybe im reading it wrong? joking apart about the pioneer 1014 after a lot of testing before i ended up with it, It was the most revealing best sounding to my ears had the most clout and you know imho the german reveiwer famous i think on this forum was imho right to say of the pioneer 1014 its going to takes some hell of a reciever even if more money to beat the pioneer vsx 1014 , my humble findings also ! buy the way im ok on the subwoofer forum ive got a Bk 200 so no ban i hope so ? Yippie, abnett. :hiya:

26. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No for daring to say so, in the DVD forum anyway and upsetting someone whose got one and thinks not buying the Brand or saying you dont like a model they do is an insult to them ,Thats only what i found and imho.i but there are a lot of silly people around eh !

27. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I think that audio components are a lot more subjective, as we all like different things.

With the DVD forum its more like an exact science, if a DVD player gives a poor picture it doesnt matter how subjective one is, there is no escaping the fact that the picture is poor :), hence more arguments will ensue about brand x is better than brand y.

With audio, people have different tastes, some like a warm relaxed sound, and some may like an attacking fast sound, the nice thing in this forum though is that everybody voices their opinion without totally rubbishing other models, due to the acceptance of the fact that we all like different sounds, and what may be one mans cup of tea, may not be anothers :)

28. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you are so right and so wise, as usual thankyou for your input it is one to take notice of and i do like your style of reasoning thank you Kasman.

29. Volumius

Volumius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wel i read strange things here, people say that a 1014 fights his way past a much more expensive denon 3805 and then i read everywhere about a marantz 7500 wich seems to be "tha Bomb" and especially praised by a guy named Kazman, who, i think is a bit too much fan of marantz to give other brands a chance. Is the new Marantz 7500 really that good then? Although i must admit that the remote looks pretty cool and the receiver looks pretty rock solid. So after al the commentary, i am still stuck up with 3 contenders:

Pioneer 1014
    Yamaha 1500
    Marantz 7500

Wich one of these 3 is best providing me with good powerfull cinema sound, capable of deep clean bass trough subwoofer output and crystal clear highs? But on the other hand it must also not sound too agressive or poised so that subtlety and fine detail is lost, i have borrowed a Pioneer vSx-712 once and i found the sound horrible, way to bright and overly agressive, also lacking deep rich bass.

30. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Erm, only my SR7500 is a marantz product :) So I'm not a fanboy as such, I just love the Marantz sound :) and I feel they have it spot on with the SR7500 and SR8500 :) superb amps :).

But at this level it really does come to personal choice, the differences are down to house sound, and what the end user prefers :).

My other equipment includes a Pioneer DVD Player (not a Marantz), although I did have a Marantz CD5400 which I sold. I actually have a Yamaha HTR5630 and a Yamaha speaker system in my bedroom system, and rate that very highly for a budget setup.

The problem is (if you can call it a problem), that the amps in this sector are now so good, that it is very difficult to seperate them in terms of ability, the only way you can truly seperate them is with preference of sound.

If one likes a warmer sound, and wants to play music as well as movies then the Marantz is probably the best choice.

If you like a fast attacking sound with plenty of bite, then the Pioneer 1014/2014 would probably suit you better.

If you like your DSP's and want something more in the middle of the two mentioned above, then the Yamaha RXV2500 would probably be your preference :).

Tiz all down to personal preference, and I ALWAYS state that :)