which one is the best to carry sound:- optical, coaxial or analogue?

pras1011

Banned
i have all three on my dvd player and I have used all three and too be honest i cant tell the difference!
i was told that analogue is better for music. so at the moment i am using coaxial for home cinema and dts music and the analogue for music.
does anyone have opinions on which one it better?

L

loadsofleads

Hi pra1011, the opinions of others on such matters is academic. Do what your ears tell you, if you can't tell the difference between each connection, then just use the one which is easiest for your setup. Personally I wouldn't bother having all three connected to my player at the same time though !!
Personally I am a fan of i.link, the best option you can get, although not much hardware uses it at the moment. :thumbsup:

pras1011

Banned
i actually thinking of using a coaxial for all of my sound needs as the analogue cable is very very thick and it will cut down on cables!!

Ian J

Banned
Most people can't tell the difference between coaxial and optical but if you connect up using analogue connections you will be decoding the signal using the DVD player's DACS and not those in the amplifier which in my case sounds sounds significantly worse but I have different equipment to you.

Nic Rhodes

whether analogue, digital (electrical or optical) is down to the quality of the kit you have, it is therefore upto you to try this stuff out. We don't know what you have and would be probably academic anyway. Digital has the advantage of fewer cables but that does not necessarily make it better.

pras1011

Banned
i have a rotel 1068, parasound 885a, cambridge audio 540d dvd player, speakers:- mk s85.
does that help you guys

Knightshade

As with everyone else. You have to try it for yourself.
As Ian has said, If you use analogue cables you will use the DVD Players DAC to decode the signal. If you use Coax or optical the amp will do the Digital to Analogue conversion. Not many people can tell the difference between optical and coax so whichever is cheapest.
Personally, for CD playback I would forget the Amp and DVD player and buy a good off board DAC.... But that's just me.

skap7309

Banned
i posted the same thread not too long ago, many people said coaxial, just bought an ixos one from ebay and am very impressed.......

Nic Rhodes

I would start of with a digital connection to get you going, either would do.

Nic Rhodes

well use it then!! This is YOUR decision and only yours, I only suggest digital as your processor amp amps are better kit than the DVD player which is a budget model, all be it a good one.

the_sanguine

Does it make any difference regarding lipsync? I connected my Sky+ box digitally and it was terrible. A scart connection seemed to improve matters.....it may be me though?

cheechy

*Free advertising alert*

Bought a Mark Grant Cable analogue interconnect and hooked that up between the CD/DVD player and the amp.

Sounds a lot better to be honest that the QED toslink cable for music.
Have you a decent quality analogue interconnect?

Nic Rhodes

the_sanguine said:
Does it make any difference regarding lipsync? I connected my Sky+ box digitally and it was terrible. A scart connection seemed to improve matters.....it may be me though?
Cable makes no difference, it is you :D

Ian J

Banned
pras1011 said:
come on people more opinions!!
Why do you want more opinions as you have already said that you have tried digital co-axial and optical as well as analogue connections and you can't tell tell the difference whilst a few others have said that most people can't tell the difference between digital optical and digital co-axial but the difference between a digital and analogue connection is mainly down to the equipment being used.

Trending threads

Top Bottom