Which one - Hitachi CL42PD3000, Sony KE42TFZ or Philips 42PF9965???

TP2K

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry to add another post this morning, but it's a little different.

Do any owners (or otherwise!) have any comments on these three panels - and which would you choose and why?

Hitachi CL42PD3000
- already have some info; seems a god contrast ratio (1000:1) and a good resolution (1024 x 1024). This one seems a good buy (except maybe the buzz which is inevitible anyway!)

Sony KE42TFZ (might be KE42TS2???)
- can't find any info / stockists to compare on this one (hence might be a wrong model number I was quoted?). Does anyone have anything?

The TS2 model (assuming this is right!) has the same resolution and contrast as the Hitachi, and an in-built tuner.

Philips 42PF9965
- again, limited info - much of what I have found is in German or similar language! Again, it appears to be the same contrast ratio and resolution as the Hitachi. Anyone any experience of this one?

Haven't seen the Philips yet so I know nothing of it

Hitachi v Sony (it is KE42TS2) - go for the Hitachi:

Better picture
Separate tuner box - have a look round the back of a sony & you'll see why it's not suitable for wall mounting.
Cheaper
Detachable speakers

Ok they buzz a bit but I don't notice mine except for when the sound is muted - the Sony does have a fan, owners have reported it not to be intrusive, however the Sony centre salesman did say it may be a problem (mind you he was trying to get me to buy the 30 inch LCD at the time)

I ordered my Philips 42pf9965 a few days ago after reading up on serveral plasmas and watching some of them. There isn't much info availble on the 9965 but here is the info that exists.
http://www.press.ce.philips.com/press/pre-ifa/20030611_482.html at the bottom of that page you got the product brochure. If you go to http://www.p4c.philips.com you can also download the manual. But thats about all info you can find on the philips.

In short, the screen is a 1024x1024 ALIS screen with a contrast of 1000:1 and brightness of 1000 so its the same as the Hitachi (Wouldn't surprise me if its the exact same screen) You get pixel plus and all the latest philips technology. (It can be turned off if you dont like it). Nice PIP functions. Ok speakers. Blackness level isn't Panasonic black but it should be ok.

I had a talk with an owner of a 9965 and he was very happy with his. He had only had it for a week but had nothing to complain about. On the other hand he was like me a first time plasma buyer so it might look good but that doesn't garantee its the best out there.

I can give you more info in a week when I should (Hopefully) have had my plasma for a few days.

/Joakim E.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom