Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which one.... help!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Ricco, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, i'm new to this (that's how most people start these sorts of threads)... so be gentle with me ;)

I am looking to buy a 42" Plasma, yes it has to be 42" and yes it has to be plasma... I have a budget of about 2k tops.

I have looked at so many different models and read all about different interface types but i still haven't managed to draw a conclusion. Sound isn't hugely importanat to me as i am planning on buying an amp and speakers etc but i would prefer an analogue tuner to get me going until i get sky hooked up (moving into a new house you see).

Things i have looked at so far...

Panasonic TH-42PW6B

Hyundai HPT-4240

LG RZ42PX11

Hitachi C42PD5200

Samsung PS42V4SX

The Hitachi i think is out of my price range (haven't found it cheap enough anywhere). The Panansonic is too confusing, not sure what plug in thingy i need or about the stand for it to stand up. The Hyundai has dodgy feet. Can't find much about the LG although i did read a report about a similar model in What Home Cinema that said the picture quality wasn't up to much and the same about the Samsung.

So, your challenge is to identify which one i should go for... stuff i want to plug in will be Sky Digital, Wharefdale DVD, PS2 & VCR. Not too fussed about the VCR though (rarely use it). Also, if i have a Home Cinema Amp, do i use that to plug in all the stuff or just connect everything to the Screen?

I'm no expert so not looking for intricat details between models, i jst want to make sure the picture quality will be good enough for my untrained eye and that i'm not gonna spend 2k on a sh*tter.

Sorry for the long post but not sure what to do as i have little experience in this area.

Cheers,
    Richard.

2. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no doubt about it, go for the panasonic, PW6B or PWD6 (charcoal colour), get a component module (great for high quality DVD) and a couple of scarts and your sorted, if you buy from AV sales or similar you should be able to select these with a tick box when you order, same for the stand.

if you want an analogue tuner (why btw?) you could get a panasonic DMRE 55 DVD recorder which has an analogue tuner built in along with a great DVD player with component conection and progressive scan capabilities, otherwise just get a £50 freeview box for the time being.

you can also connect a pair of stereo speaker directly to the screen, I have a pair of these and it sounds great:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/?p=http://www.petertyson.co.uk/denonscm51.shtml|p

spook

3. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spook, trouble with the panny is i don't really know what type of cards to put in it and at £160 a go they aren't cheap!! If i knew how i was going to connect stuff up, i might have a better idea...

Anyone else got any pearls of wisdom? :lease:

4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What most people here will tell you is that the PWD6 is the best option for you - although it'll cost slightly more than the 2K you have once you include cables etc.

Given the budget you're on I'd go for the PWD6 with one scart board.
    Connect all your scart devices to a scart switch (or "daisy chain" your scarts if your devices have both scart "in" as well as scart out). If your DVD player has component out then connect this using a component to VGA cable to the VGA input on the panel (the VGA input is the only connection that comes as standard with this plasma).

Should all be possible for probably just a little over 2K (inc. cables etc.)

AV-sales (and others like Joe@TMF) get a good reputation on these forums - they'll be happy to spend time talking you through your options (and keeping your budget in mind).

ZedZed