1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which one for all remote?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by micks_address, Apr 26, 2005.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Hi folks,

I'm on a tighth budget here so bear that in mind... maybe 80- quid or so tops...

at the moment we have sky plus, sony tv, sony dvd and sony amplifier and a vcr connected in the living room... my missus is forever going on about all the remotes and more often than not they just get in the way...

so i'm after a programmable remote to control everything - something thats easy to use and looks the part.. most important is probably ease of use

any suggestions?

cheers,
    mick

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Get a Harmony 655 :thumbsup:

I Think there is one on the classifieds just now or you can get one from Dixons for £69.99

Adrenochrome.

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Hi Adrenochrome.. been reading up on the 655 and it looks the business... does it handle sky plus functions easily? like live pause/rewind.. and things like the amp/dvd player... my missus is always complaining that she cant get the tv onto sky if the dvd player happens to be powered on... their on different av inputs.. and sometimes the autoswitching in fairness can be frustrating... any opinions on users with sky plus etc would be appreciated

cheers,
    mick

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Hi Mick,

It works Sky+ flawlessly and also controls the amp equally well,so well in fact that my wife can use it completely unaided (which couldn't be said for the original remotes)

Adrenochrome.

5. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i've been through loads of remotes - my fav is the pronto (i broke mine so we dont talk about it :mad: ) but its expensive and once you start it can take ages to setup - but it is the best IMO.

I've also had Sony ones (bulky and limited) A cambridge one (just awful.) and a couple of others i cant remember so they must have been bad.

after the death of the pronto i bought an All for 1 kameleon - which was ok but the battery life was limited and it could be a real pain in the neck.

i now have a harmony 655 which is the best one i've used (excluding the pronto) its not the easiest to setup (despite the claims) but its not that hard either. best of all my wife can now use the entire system as its so easy to use - and its fairly cheap at £70.

i havent used the one that greenbars is recommending but it does look nice.

Gary

7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    i guess you've hit the nail on the head gary.. most important it had to be missus friendly...

i phoned logitech in dublin and they couldnt give me the name of any stockists.. also called dixons here and they dont stock it in the republic but i reckon the sales guy just wasnt sure.....

8. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    does the 655 work with NTL box using iRDA?

9. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    well i went ahead and bought the one in the classifieds... hope it solves the problems of all the remotes clutering the couch... always seem to be sitting on one when i put my feet up!

have a sony kv32fq86 tv
    sky plus pace version 2
    sony ns930 dvd player
    sony str475 amp/receiver

also have an old black diamond/mitubishi vcr but never really use it so not to bother about it..

looking forward to getting it now and surprising herself... just hope its easy to use :)

cheers,
    mick

10. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Not without the use of something like a Redeye (a device that converts IR to IRDA.

11. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    quick question folks...

the activity based buttons on the remote... like watch a dvd...

i premume this will switch the tv to the correct av channel for the dvd source and play the dvd - will it also switch my receiver on and make sure the audio source is set to dvd?

and the same for tv viewing? will it switch to the av channel sky is on (av1) and make sure sky plus is on - then switch on my receiver and make sure the audio source is set to tv/sat?

and the volume button on the remote... will it control my receivers volume or the tv's or both?

Cheers,
    Mick

12. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Mick - It will do all of that and the volume control will control your receiver or your TV, it depends on how you set the activity up. In your case I suppose you want it to control the volum on the receiver?!

The set up is mainly web based with 2 main steps. First input the exact make and model of all of your AV equipment then set up each activity. There's a wizard which walks you through (basic or advanced) I went with the basic first to get my head around it then moved to the advanced wizard.

Don't be afraid of using the customer services, I had a few teething problems with input delays and one piece of equipment switching to the wrong input but after e-mailing CS they replied within 12 hours and fixed it for me. Therefore, all I had to do was plug the remote back into the web and download the changes, easy!!

I also had a 2nd generation 6 in 1 Kameleon but the Harmony is much better built and easier to use in my opinion.... ENJOY!! :thumbsup:

13. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Cheers Mark..... sounds like exactly what we're after....roll on the weekend :)

cheers,
    mick

14. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Ok folks,

so thanks to Mark.. my remote arrived on friday.. i didnt get to set it up until late friday night as my folks were visiting for the weekend...

i have a sony ns930 v, sky plus pace version 2, sony kv32fq86 and str-de475 sony amp.. the internet wizard took everthing in fine.. but there have been a few teething problems...

the dvd player was driving me nuts as it just wasnt turning on correctly... then on sunday i finally copped that the way i usually turn it on is to just press the play button and away she goes... the harmony was doing a power toggle on then play.. the player didnt like this at all and would just display a blank screen until i pressed play on the remote.. anyway once i told the remote to power on using play and power off using the power toggle all was fine....

one thing thats bugging me ... it doesnt put sky plus into standby when i change activities or hit the off button...

the things i like are the activities.. being able to hit one button to bring everything on and play the dvd in the player is cool... same for sky plus...

the missus is well inpressed but she had the following complaints...

in the dark.. its hard to distinguish the buttons.. the glow function doesnt come on until you press the glow button... it would be nice be nice it would come on when say you press any button on the remote...

even though say our sky plus remote doesnt glow you can still easily change channel in relative darkness etc... i'm sure this is something we will get used to.. i've confisgated all the other remotes and put them in the press to see if we can get by with the harmony...

the other annoyance for me is the speed the harmony controls things...

the default setting for sky plus was slightly off.. .in the sky planner the cursor would jump to far with a press of the direction keys... kinda hard to control and not as smooth as the sky plus remote.. i changed the 'repeat' setting from 3 to 2 and this has helped a lot but i wouldnt say its quite perfect yet

same for my amp... the volume sometimes takes a while to catch up with button presses... havent tweaked this yet but methinks the repeat needs tweaking a little...

could i ask what other people had to tweak in relation to sky plus with the remote? had you to change inter key delay? or the repeat function? when i was entering the device i set it up as sky plus... model 3.024 and it seemed to like it ok... maybe i should have entered it in as a pace

i found the web setup a little slow and frustrating at times... but i'm on dialup so i imagine a broadband connection would make like easier...

my wife asked about the listen to music activity.. is it possible to have it turn on sky plus and switch to the music channels? like say 440?... i imagine it is.. just have it the same as the watch sky plus activity and send 440 afterwards?

All in all happy with the remote..

cheers,
    mick

15. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838

Mick, you nee to look at what the remote can do - its just a slave you can get it to do anything. look at the global settings on the website you can make the remote glow pressing any button if you wish. you can also control the rate at which it sends signals to the device in milliseconds.

as for the music setting you can do that in advanced set up (you can add commands aty the end of an activity. everything you want is there just have a look about (i.e look at the FAQ on the site).

sorry i cant give a more detailed answer but i dont have the time this morning.

gary

16. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    thanks gary... just been into setup again and found the glow settting to come on with any key press should solve that problem :)

also have had a stab at changing the listen to music activity.. will have to wait until i get home to update the remote but i have faster net access at work so will do as much tweaking here as i can...

the control rate i'm still interested in for sky plus at least.. i'd like to get it matching the sky plus remote if possible.. will keep digging

cheers,
    mick

17. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    one more question... when i'm on say watch tv... sky plus and i press the activity button again - the input is switched to av1 and takes a second to show the picture.. i know this isnt really a problem but i thought the harmony remote would be cute enough to know it was already on av1 and wouldnt try to switch to it again?

cheers,
    mick

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i've recently bought a new plasma screen and setting it up is a nightmare - because of how it uses its AV inputs i've had to make shortcuts for going back to TV (from watching a DVD as it tries to change inputs. i'm getting there with it slowly - like you i have to change things at work - although when i've got broadband at home (next monday :D ) it will be easier.

there is a lot of trial and error to get it how you want it, but i'n convinced it can do anything - it just takes alot of messing about (for example i had to add 4 commands to the "watch a movie" activity to make it work properly)

it should know its on AV1 - if not you could try adding a command at the end to send it back?

Gary

19. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    i think maybe its sending the power on command to the sky plus box and this is triggering the input to come on again.. ah its no hassle just would be nice to have it seamless.... must check if its doing the same with the dvd player...

20. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    one of the things that made my life easier was telling the remote to not turn anything off. many people dont like that option but made things alot easier and my freeview box is never turned off it kept activiting the input which buggered everything up.

Gary

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    You can normally turn "Scart control" off in STB menu a god send with learning remotes

22. capt_janeway

capt_janeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Finally took the plunge got a 688 from Fleabay - £74 :thumbsup:

Just set up simple stuff at the mo but one prob I'm finding is to watch my freeview box via my panny e95. The freeview runs via AV1 and you can't add that as a channel.....so having to set it up to run via tv.

Other than that happy so far - a bit of tweaking needed and will probably try to do more Sunday whilst recovering from West Ham's battering of Ipswich :devil:

(WHUFC season ticket holder for my sins!)

23. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have had a Kameleon 10 in 1 for a few days now and am happy with it overall,but, does anyone know how to tell when it is fully charged(it came with a charger) i put it in the charger but nothing lights up or beeps and the manual doesn't mention the charger at all?