Which One - Denon PMA-600NE orRotel A11 Tribute ?

Ascotbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Evening all.

I considering a second system and looking for an Amp with both Phono and Bluetooth. I've seen a Rotel on clearance and Denon on Sale - similarly priced. Will be paired with Rega Planar 1 and B&W 607 Speakers both of which already own.

Evening all.

I considering a second system and looking for an Amp with both Phono and Bluetooth. I've seen a Rotel on clearance and Denon on Sale - similarly priced. Will be paired with Rega Planar 1 and B&W 607 Speakers both of which already own.
Hey man...

How's it going?

The short answer: I have owned both, and it's the Rotel A11 Tribute hands down. No questions asked. No second thoughts. No doubts. Give them your money! At £550, this is still a great amp. If you are getting it for around £400, you are laughing.

The long answer: the Denon is muscular sounding but very warm. The Rotel is more powerful overall, a lot more powerful in fact, but the bass is a little more subdued, more refined, tight and musical, while the rest of the sound is quite neutral and beautifully balanced. The Rotel images beautifully for something so inexpensive. Instruments hang in space across the soundstage. Cymbals shimmer here, then another slightly to the side of it. Its beautiful. The Denon simply doesn't do this. The Denon is very easy to partner with speakers, but I'd avoid warm speakers. The B&W 607s should be fine. The Rotel is also quite comfortable with most speakers I have tried, if I put aside my own preferences and dislikes. The Rotel just sounds more real. Voices, music, sound lifelike and you can almost imagine them in the room with you. The Denon doesn't have this quality. Sure, it plays the music, and it sounds great, but it isn't on the same level as the Rotel.

Again, for me, it's hands down Rotel on this one. I'd take it over my NAD amps, my old Denon 600ne, basically any amp I've every owned. I hope it works forever. I imagine I will have to spend a lot more to get the same quality again.

PS. I spoke with Rotel a while back and they actually recommended pairing the B&W 607s with the A11 Tribute. I have always been tempted to try it. You'll have to let me know how it works out for you.

If you want speed, dynamics then Rotel.

Warm sound-Denon.

By speed, dynamics. I mean the bass epically.

It’s incredible articulate. The contrast between different bass instruments are remarkable.

Denon is safe in the bass. Nothing to write home about. Nevertheless fine amplifier.

Rotel does not get the same attention as other amplifiers. So many of the Rotel amplifiers are hidden gems.

Power for days. I have not listed to A11. But if it sounds similar to RA1572MK2 then it’s no brainer.

If you don’t mind buying used amplifiers, then look for RA1570.

Also Hegel H90.

The extra current supply from the Rotel would swing it for me. Better bass control is a must for my ears.

Open Box at Peter Tyson for £369, thats a no brainer.

Demo video, Note the guy on the right, (huh a £400 quid amp so what) ...errr hang on a minute.. (serious listening pose)

Last edited:
Thanks lads, looks like the second system is a likely non starter Moved my gear around yesterday as a trial and it didn’t work in proposed location.

However - Given the love for the Rotel @Kapkirk its even cheaper at SSAV £349 ex display and mint condition - How does it compare with my Rega Brio with the Rotel ? Both of which would be use the Rega Fono Stage ?

Or maybe just buy the Rotel as my weekend amp 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Thanks lads, looks like the second system is a likely non starter Moved my gear around yesterday as a trial and it didn’t work in proposed location.

However - Given the love for the Rotel @Kapkirk its even cheaper at SSAV £349 ex display and mint condition - How does it compare with my Rega Brio with the Rotel ? Both of which would be use the Rega Fono Stage ?

Or maybe just buy the Rotel as my weekend amp 🤣🤣
Better get in there quick mate don't know how many they got left, I just ordered a black one from sevenoaks for £349, 10 mins ago, I want to see what all the fuss is about, so just for fun you understand.. I already have 3 amps so this will be for sale for less over the coming weeks after I've had my little session with it of course, unless that is it sounds better than my own Denon PMA1600ne in which case it's staying.

I keep reading A11 amplifier needs to have volume on 50 to really begin to fill the rom with sound.

My current Rotel amplifier does not.

Input sensitivity can of course vary on different amplifiers. My Rotel amplifier starts on 0 till 95.

On 10 it’s 8 a clock on analog volume pot meter. 20 it’s 9 a clock. 30 it’s 10 a clock.

After 40 it’s really, really loud! My speakers have sensitivity 90 dB.

I keep reading A11 amplifier needs to have volume on 50 to really begin to fill the rom with sound.

My current Rotel amplifier does not.
This is the case in my experience too. I usually have the volume on 50. On a "loud" recording, I may turn it down to the high 40s, and on a soft recording (or when listening to vinyl) I may turn it up to 60. My speakers are 89db sensitive. I really don't see how it matters though. The A11 Tribute is an entry-level integrated amp, not a power amp or a high-end amp. At 78w continuous and peaks are around 120w (both per channel into 8ohm), it should drive most modest standmounts and floorstanders without too much trouble, including the B&W 607s.

Not my ntention to trash the amplifier, I am sure it sounds excellent!

It’s just that I was very vary if my Rotel amplifier was the same. The volume control needs more gain then analog pot meter, fortunately it does not.

The reason is because my old Marantz PM14-S1 is the same. It always bugged me when I owned it, but got used to it after awhile.

I don’t believe it’s because my Rotel amplifier has more current. Perhaps different volume control, different input sensitivity.

I use the onboard DAC inside the amplifier. The volume is 3 dB louder then. Also finally DAC which sounds different then others.

But the analog inputs sounds nice too. It’s just that the digital inputs have less noice/quieter background.

Sensitivity of the speakers, sitting distance, dynamic range. Many factors.

Also I agree with you. 30 or 50 does not tell the whole story. 50 can be 70 dB, depending on the recording.

60 is then more then enough.

Not my ntention to trash the amplifier, I am sure it sounds excellent!

It’s just that I was very vary if my Rotel amplifier was the same. The volume control needs more gain then analog pot meter, fortunately it does not.

The reason is because my old Marantz PM14-S1 is the same. It always bugged me when I owned it, but got used to it after awhile.

I don’t believe it’s because my Rotel amplifier has more current. Perhaps different volume control, different input sensitivity.

I use the onboard DAC inside the amplifier. The volume is 3 dB louder then. Also finally DAC which sounds different then others.

But the analog inputs sounds nice too. It’s just that the digital inputs have less noice/quieter background.

Sensitivity of the speakers, sitting distance, dynamic range. Many factors.

Also I agree with you. 30 or 50 does not tell the whole story. 50 can be 70 dB, depending on the recording.

60 is then more then enough.
Don't worry. I didn't think you were trying to trash it. I actually had the same concern when I first bought the A11 Tribute. I had the Denon PMA600ne at the same time, and never turned it up beyond 30% on the volume dial. I contacted Rotel to ask them if it was normal to turn it up to 50, even 65 (out of 95) when playing vinyl, and they said it was just the way volume control was designed and you could easily turn it up to more than 80 without concerns about clipping and with plenty of headroom left for dynamic pieces. I let go of my concerns and all has been well for the past 9 months of owning it. It barely even warms up at 50 or 60.

Better get in there quick mate don't know how many they got left, I just ordered a black one from sevenoaks for £349, 10 mins ago, I want to see what all the fuss is about, so just for fun you understand.. I already have 3 amps so this will be for sale for less over the coming weeks after I've had my little session with it of course, unless that is it sounds better than my own Denon PMA1600ne in which case it's staying.
@Kapkirk - Have you received the Rotel A11 as yet ??

@Kapkirk - Have you received the Rotel A11 as yet ??
I was just thinking the same thing. I think @Kapkirk is running the ELAC Debut Reference 62s...just bought a pair (open box), to see what all the fuss is about, and will be pairing it with the A11 Tribute. Guess we'll be running a similar system for a little while ;)

Wow! How many speakers du you own at this precise moment;) Btw, heard rumors this speakers supposed to very soft, dynamic speakers.

Never tiring, yet punchy in the bass.

Wow! How many speakers du you own at this precise moment;) Btw, heard rumors this speakers supposed to very soft, dynamic speakers.

Never tiring, yet punchy in the bass.
5 pairs, but I intend to sell two of them. I am quite happy with the Concept 20s and 40s. Am just curious about the sound of the DBR62s. Got a good deal, but I may end up reselling them.

Heard mixed reviews about the DBR62’s. ASR raved about them (if you’re into that sort of thing) but others reviews blast them as safe and boring. I‘d be interested to hear your thoughts.

Heard mixed reviews about the DBR62’s. ASR raved about them (if you’re into that sort of thing) but others reviews blast them as safe and boring. I‘d be interested to hear your thoughts.
This is exactly why I decided to have a go myself. The measurements on ASR were good, but Amir's subjective impressions were, well, pretty striking. It is one of the highest rated speakers he's ever done, and some cost multiples of the price of the DBR62s. I have read other reviews, and some praise it very highly, while others say "it's okay", even "boring". I'd like to hear what all the fuss is about. If they are not my cup of tea, I will sell them on and probably get most of my money back. Thought it was worth a dabble.

@FootHealer - Alas you're not alone since starting this thread I've considered various Project options to my proposed RP3 TT, 3 Amps and 2 CD players :rotfl:

been thinking about another amp for dining room with 607s2 . currently using a little t amp . so the pma 600ne on its way . enjoyed this review

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom