Question Which OLED: Sony AG8 vs. LG B9 vs. GZ950E

Jockey

Novice Member
Greetings to all:)

I am a long time lurker around here, but since I am purchasing a new TV I decided to reach out to you for any advice to help me decide which TV should I buy.

I narrowed down the choice to three 55'' TVs: Sony AG8, LG B9 and Panasonic GZ 950E. I can purchase them around similar price with the LG being the cheapest, Sony costing a bit more and Panasonic being the most expensive.

My position from the TV is around 2.25m watching under a slight angle. The room is moderately bright. Content I am watching is mostly TV series and movies via Netflix and my PC connected to the TV via HDMI. Also sports, mostly football. Won't be using the TV for any gaming.

So down to the choice: Sony AG8 - thing I like most about the Sony is motion handling. Been watching this TV several times in the store and really the motion on this TV really stands out to me as a best thing about this device. Also the colors are really amazing. However, the thing that puts me of is no eARC (do I really need it?), no HDMI 2.1, laggy android and no further updates for it on the AG8, remote controller and based on some reviews it doesn't go very bright. But neither does the LG B9.

Speaking of, what I really like about the LG B9 is the overall package, best price, future proof with HDMI 2.1 support (although it's still not tested) and the WebOS which seems to be the best OS of the 3 TVs. What I don't particularly like about this TV is the mentioned limited peek brightness, mentioned stutter and laggy performance compared to the C9 due to a slower processor and some issues with black crush.

The third option, the Panasonic GZ950E. Never seen it in action. What I like about it is the fact that almost all reviewers praise its picture quality and out-of-the box picture accuracy and the fact it has the same processor as the rest of the lineup. Seems to me like maybe the best entry level OLED TV out of all the manufacturers. Correct if I am wrong. What I don't like is no eARC, mention of limited OS and no DTS X support like the other two TVs. And the fact it's the most expensive of the 3 TVs and stretching my budget to the max.

What I should also maybe mention I bought the Samsung HW-80R soundbar which will be connected to the TV so speakers on the TV aren't a factor. Is the ARC enough for the connection between the future TV and this soundbar, do I need the eARC for it? Also, HDMI 2.1. Considering I am no gamer what is the possible use for it on the TV in the near future for me? Would I really be needing it in the next 3 years?

I would be open for any other suggestion as well but TVs like the AG9 and LG C9 and CX are too expensive for me, thus not an option.

Looking forward to any input you might have to help me out decide which TV should I buy:)

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Why are you worried about eARC if you don't know if you will need it?

eARC is needed to transport HD audio. If you do intend to use devices that use HD audio like a Blu-Ray player or a games console, you can plug those devices into your soundbar before the TV. If you only intend to use streaming services they do not use HD audio, and therefore eARC is not needed.

That aside, really there's not a whole big difference between one OLED and the next. This is because each model you are looking at uses the same 2019 OLED panel made by LG. Differences are small, and in picture processing, features or smart TV. Any one of these TVs will be very good.

Prices of TVs also fluctuate a lot, and that doesn't seem any different here. The LG B9 is usually priced cheaper than the other two TVs, with the C9 being closer to their price. As it happens currently the other TVs have been reduced and the LG C9 not.

So based on current prices and value for money the B9, despite probably being the best all-round TV with HDMI future proofing and smart TV, is probably the worse value, with the other TVs besting it with picture quality. TVs that are usually selling for more money, selling for less.

My pick would be the Panasonic simply because you already have a soundbar, and thus won't really benefit from the better built in sound the Sony AG8 provides. If you are shopping for a TV with better motion, but without paying extra for the better built in sound, consider Philips 7 or 8 series OLEDs instead.

EDIT* regarding audio you really need to plan out what you are going to connect to the TV, what you will use with the TV and whether you actually need support for things like eARC or DTS-X. Its important you have this in mind before purchasing a TV. For example, eARC and DTS-X are worthless features on a TV if you are going to plug your Blu-Ray player directly into the soundbar...and if you only play video via streaming services, you don't use a games console and you don't use a Blu-Ray player you will likely never come accross anything that uses DTS-X, or anything that needs eARC support.

On top of that, eARC needs to be supported at both ends, so unless Samsung update your soundbar to use eARC then buying a TV with eARC will be useless, as will buying a TV that uses DTS-X.

Jockey

Novice Member
As expected, I knew Dodge will come to the rescue :)

Thank you for your response and for clarifying things about the eARC. You're right when you say that differences between the mentioned TVs are smaller rather than larger. I am closer to Sony and Panasonic because picture quality is basically the number 1 criteria when deciding which TV should I buy. So would you say that Philips 8 series is superior to GZ950 and AG8 in terms of motion? How about overall picture quality? In my country prices for the 804/854 are close but a bit more expensive than the Panasonic, but considerably more expensive than AG8 and the B9 with their prices going down in the past few days.

Dodgexander

Prices will change though, what is cheap today could be expensive tomorrow. Since you have the B9 priced the same as others, then that shows the others are discounted when the B9 is not.

The Philips 7 series should be around the same price as the B9. The 8 series in line more with the AG8 and GZ950.

In terms of motion Sony and Philips are usually considered best, followed by Panasonic then LG. Its subjective though, you may like one over the other.

Comparing Philips to Sony, the Philips 8 series runs android a little faster and has ambilight, but lacks the better built in sound on the Sony. The Sony is good for motion if you like to use motion interpolation and don't mind soap opera effect. The Philips is better for tweaking motion if you do mind soap opera effect.

Jockey

Novice Member
Well in my country the prices for the TVs are currently around these figures:

LG B9 - 1150 EUR
Sony AG8 - 1350 EUR
Panasonic GZ950E - 1400 EUR
Philips 804 - 1400 EUR

The thing is the shop where I am aiming to buy my new TV from has the best sale promotions from time to time where I can sometimes find the B9, AG8 or the GZ950E discounted up to 20% from the prices stated above. They don't distribute Philips OLED. Therefor I am somehow not inclined to go for the Philips and grab one of the three mentioned TVs on sale. Although the OS of the Panasonic puts me off a bit it's somewhat my favorite at the current moment and if don't manage to go for the Panasonic then the Sony would be my next pick. Thanks for your advice Dodge :)

kenfowler3966

I went for the AG8 mainly for the quality of the built in sound which uses the whole screen as the speaker. I was able to get rid of the soundbar I had to make my previous Samsung sound acceptable, and passed both old tv and soundbar to my son who was setting up his first house. I am very happy with the clean look of the tv on the wall and no soundbar under.
If you don't want this ability you might as well go with one of the others as you are paying for this excellence in sound from the Sony.
Or get the Sony and sell your soundbar to reduce the cost overall?

However I am very pleased with the AG8 picture quality as well.

Markus1970

Standard Member
Bought a Ag8 my self this morning, delivered tomorrow evening.
I was debating either the LG B9 or the Sony.

I mainly went for the Sony due to the android system even thru I read it was a little slow and I don't need to connect to a pc or gaming machine so no need for hdmi 2.1.
I had also read reports that the Ag8 uses the c9 panel.
Yes I'm a liile concerned of lack of future updates and no android 9 due to the chip I think it's a medatec chip that's been discontinued.
Obviously the AG9 would be ideal but out of my price range.

johnr2110

I went for the AG8 mainly for the quality of the built in sound which uses the whole screen as the speaker. I was able to get rid of the soundbar I had to make my previous Samsung sound acceptable, and passed both old tv and soundbar to my son who was setting up his first house. I am very happy with the clean look of the tv on the wall and no soundbar under.
If you don't want this ability you might as well go with one of the others as you are paying for this excellence in sound from the Sony.
Or get the Sony and sell your soundbar to reduce the cost overall?

However I am very pleased with the AG8 picture quality as well.
Pleased you're happy with your AG8, as it's one of the TVs on my list along with a Panasonic 1500.
On the matter of picture quality I assume you don't find the picture to dark which seems to be a constant complaint by reviewers. Also how do you find the sound quality when watching a film on disc?
Thanks for any information.

kenfowler3966

As I live in a semi I can't have it that loud. The sound is as good as the soundbar I had before except that also had a subwoofer.
There is an option though to add a sub by plugging in to the headphone socket. Due to neighbours I haven't done that.
I have turned the brightness down to about 60% in the interests of screen longevity and always watch like that. We always close the curtains when on to stop passersby looking in and that helps in bright daylight. Fortunately tv is on a wall which never gets direct sunlight.
My only regret is buying the tv early. It had been reduced then but has been discounted much more than the previous AF8 which had just stopped becoming available when I was looking to buy. I could buy it now for a considerable saving.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom