Which older speaker?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Adi69, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Adi69

Adi69
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, newbie here seeking advice.

I have an older home hi-fi in Marantz cd 63se Ki signature and amp of pm66 KI signature but the speakers have always been the weak link in Gale 2 ways but with expensive cables making them sound a LOT better.
    My question, I've tried a speaker upgrade of some 2nd hand KEF IQ5 and whilst they are more open and clear, they sound somewhat thin and lack musicality.

Are there any other obvious choices of speakers that will provide the warmth and clarity as well as the musicality for me to search out?
    Sorry for the long post lol

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    With budget speakers, extra "warmth" or more bass tends to compromise detail and clarity, so it is usually a "one or the other" type scenario. There are plenty of smaller, budget speakers out there that sound great, mainly because the manufacturer hasn't gone hell for leather trying to get as much bass out of them as possible. There's only so much a manufacturer can do for any given budget.

The iQ5se model was a better speaker, and the iQ50 that replaced them was little on the warmer, smoother side (which everyone seemed to dislike at the time). Small drivers and cabinet though, so there's always going to be compromises.

3. Adi69

Adi69
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks for your reply.

After having time to listen to the speakers IQ5, they are a big improvement on the old Gales. However, the smaller speakers on the Gales produce tighter punchier bass. The bass on the IQ5 is far more wallowy if that is a word lol.
    I've just missed out on a couple of pairs of Monitor Audio Silver rs6 speakers on EBay recently. All the reviews I've seen on these have been very positive. I know they are a big step up price wise on either the KEF iq5 or iq5se.
    Is the Rs6 worth it for £250 - £300 2nd hand or would the iq5se be a good compromise?

4. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Personal preference, but the RS6s are a whole lotta speaker for the money!

5. Adi69

Adi69
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ta again.
    Is there any other speaker on a similar range to the iq5se you'd recommend or suggest I have a look/listen to?

6. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    It just depends what's available out there really - I've not kept up with the used market I'm afraid. £250/300 should get you something that was around the £1,000 mark 4/5 years ago or so. It's a case of seeing what's available, then seeking an opinion or reviews on them.