Which Older Blu-Ray Players Have 5.1 Analogue Outs?

namastebuzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Been looking around for a sub £100 2nd hand Blu-Ray player which must have 5.1 Analogue Outputs for use with my (mighty) Yamaha DSP-A1.

It needs to be able to decode/output the HD Audio Formats over analogue which I assumed was a given but when looking at a Pioneer BDP-LX70 realised that it wasn't. :confused:

Then I bought a Sony BDP-S560 on Ebay before discovering that (unlike the 550) it had no analogue outs.

So the list I have is:

Sony BDP-S1/500/550/760
Panasonic BMP-BD50/80/85
LG BD390
Pioneer BDP-LX51/52(?)

Any others worth looking for?

PS I'm not really interested in any BD Live/Internet/3D type features.

Last edited:
Your list is pretty exhaustive.

If looking for media playback via HDD, the LG BD390 does it well, had mine 3 years and still plays most readily obtainable files.. Also has Inbuilt wifi. I use 5-1 analogue on mine through my Denon amp and happy with the sound playback.

Last edited:
OK - Thanks Gentlemen.

Yeah the 390 looks to have pretty good capabilities though the player is for a dedicated cinema room and I'm still using discs for everything - 5" silver ones that is. :)

Players that do not have decent bass management options and DAC aren't worth considering. The brands that generally fit in this category are limited and include: Denon, Pioneer and current Oppo.

Pioneer BDP-LX-51 (I have the US BDP-51FD) has BM options: speaker size, crossover, trim and Wolfson 8740 DACs (same DACs in some Arcam and Cambridge Audio).
Pioneer BDP-BDP320 (I have one too) has the above BM options plus speaker distance and Burr Brown DACs.

These two players do decode both HD codecs and also have picture adjustment options but aren't very quick loading. These should be in your budget for second hand. The Denon 4010 has individual speaker crossover settings but way beyond your budget.

Last edited:
Thanks Kilian

I'd read a couple of threads about speaker set up options etc but it's hard to suss out which models have any.

Yeah the Pioneers look to be the best solution and the LX51 can certainly be had cheap enough with the LX52 looking to be down to £120ish with THREE up for sale currently on the forums.

Load time is not an issue really as it's once or twice a week "movie night" use in the cinema room rather than every day in the living room.

The BDP320 doesn't seem to have the 5.1 output though? Here's a pic of the back from a review:

b12a8e|e0a7_12277-bdp320rearsm.jpg

Last edited:
The BDP320 doesn't seem to have the 5.1 output though? Here's a pic of the back from a review

Sorry, didn't realise the UK one doesn't. I have a US one which does. Doesn't make sense to me.

The LX-52 is the EU version of the US 23FD, which is the Elite version of the 320, so the LX-52 is the one to look for, as you've figured out. I'm still using both and the 320 (the newer of the two) is quicker in load times generally. Both can be made DVD region-free if you search the LX-51 thread.

I've also read good comments for the Sony 5000ES. Don't know about it's bass management options but it's probably too pricey 2nd hand.

Typical! The UK gets shortchanged again.

I know what I need now. Either the LX52 or BD51.

Thanks again everyone. :smashin:

The Panasonic BD-55 has the 5.1 analogue output. I had mine connected to a Yamaha A1.:smashin:

Thanks chaps.

That Philips looks a good deal actually but the BD-55 was a fairly rare beast was it not? Think it was only made for about 6 months.

I'm gonna hold out for a BD-51FD if I can get one cheap enough.

Hi All

Been looking around for a sub £100 2nd hand Blu-Ray player which must have 5.1 Analogue Outputs for use with my (mighty) Yamaha DSP-A1.

It needs to be able to decode/output the HD Audio Formats over analogue which I assumed was a given but when looking at a Pioneer BDP-LX70 realised that it wasn't. :confused:

Then I bought a Sony BDP-S560 on Ebay before discovering that (unlike the 550) it had no analogue outs.

So the list I have is:

Sony BDP-S1/500/550/760
Panasonic BMP-BD50/80/85
LG BD390
Pioneer BDP-LX51/52(?)

Any others worth looking for?

PS I'm not really interested in any BD Live/Internet/3D type features.

Philips BDP 9600 is OK with 7.1 analog outputs and excellent D/A converters .

The philips BDP9100 has analogue 5.1 out, quick loading and handset hack for multi-region dvd playback. I've had one for a couple of years and am very pleased with it.

what about the pioneer BDP-LX70A, personally i still think its one of the best built machines pioneer ever made.

what about the pioneer BDP-LX70A, personally i still think its one of the best built machines pioneer ever made.

I would've bought one but it doesn't decode/output TrueHD/DTS MA through the analogues. Why? No idea - makes no sense whatsoever. :confused:

Anyway, got the BD-51FD now so all smiles.

Try the Pioneer 51FD available on Ebay as ex demo for around £85, has full 7.1 out and with the new firmware (1.72) loads of options to tweak. It's also a damn fine BD player too.

Err.... I already did. £90 off the classifieds but thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom