which of theses 3 bookshelfs are good?

ghking3

Standard Member
Reaction score
Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Black | Per Pair | Richer Soundshttp://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-rose

http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/gale/3010/gale-3010s-bch

Q Acoustics 1010i Black | Per Pair | Richer Sounds

they are at the prices id like to pay, but wondering which are good and for the time being, be compatible with the sony str-de495?:) alternatives are welcome aslong they less than £70 ;)

ideally i want to change all my speakers to black or darkish wood depending on the overall look of the speaker and although id like floorstandings, i cant make it an option right now :thumbsdow, so going to replace my rears with another set of smallish speakers.

i dont think this 'bright' 'warm' business matters really as i dont know where my setup falls into that and i havnt had any complaints.

ps i know ive been doing some future thinking with my threads, but if i can sell my rears for a decent price by the end of feb then i will actually go ahead and purchase something :rotfl:.

cheers.

the idea was to like get new floorstanders that would be better somewhat than my pioneers and move my pioneers to the rear and thought about the QA 1030, but i then relised i would need a matching centre and havnt seen the QA centre, but i bet it isnt cheap lol which would mean the overall cost would be close to £200 if not over which is way too much right now, i did however think of the eltax concept 180 which is £70 at RS and dont look too bad and their centre for £30, but they sound like a cheap brand and probly wouldnt improve over my pioneers even the rears, so would be a waste, am i right? :confused:

i got a budget system and i want to stick to budget systems, but each time being an improvement..

My personal opinion is that the 9.0s are the best of the lot you suggested there.

Wouldn't touch the 2nd pair... and the 3rd are pretty good.

cheers for the reply, i will focus more on QA and Warf then :thumbsup:

Will you be getting a matching centre for the speakers that you buy?

i wont buy a centre unless i replace my fronts as people say the front 3 have to be the same and although ive been considering new floorstandings and push my pioneers to the rear, id be looking at like £200 plus including centre and that be too much to waste if i cant make a 4 floorstanding setup work due to limited space and locations in my room.

are the warf 9.0 speakers good as an whole set? ideally would want to upgrade to all 1 brand.

I'm a bit confused as to where these new speakers are going. If at the front and you buy discounted, discounted speakers (diamond 9 or QA 1010is) you need to buy the centre at the same time due to a limited time availability. If it is from a current range, you can wait and add a centre later.

ok, my pioneer set consist of 2 floorstanders 1 small centre 2 small bookshelfs...

my idea is to improve, either by starting from the back and get bigger better bookshelfs or put my floorstanders at the rear and buy new and somewhat better floorstanders for the front and have a 4xfloorstander setup, but given how i have my speakers setup atm, i dont think i could make the 4xfloorstander work due to limited locating :( .

i dont know what range of any speaker id go for, just good/decent ones that are an improvement, but also budget priced ;), i paid £300 for my receiver and pioneers and my mission sub, so as an whole i would be looking to spend between 300-400 to upgrade or abit more depending on equipment, but included in that budget is the yamaha rx-v 465.. the upgrade will be in long stages eitherway i go about it.

are the cambridge audio speakers good?

they are more pricey, but the specs look good and i know i can get a whole set made up where as it would seem youd have to really search for other warf 9.0 speakers to make a set and the CA come in a light wood colour compared to others ive looked at which i think i prefer more than black speakers now ;)

For £220, you could get the QA 1030i floorstanders and the 100ic centre. To get that price you may be limited to cherry finish, though there may be other suppliers.

These would work well with the Yamaha 465 and would get your front three speakers upgraded. You could use what you have for surrounds now and upgrade those in the future.

Q ACOUSTICS 1030i SPEAKERS (PAIR) (BEECH) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3866 for details

Q ACOUSTICS 1000Ci CENTRE SPEAKER (CHERRY) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3695 for details

i would be wanting colour matching and from looking at the beech ones, those are what id prefer unless you can get cherry floorstanders and they look nice :smashin:.

what about the cambridge audio stuff?

you say the QA will work well with the yamaha 465, but for the time being i would need them to work with my sony ;), im going to be upgrading slowly starting with the speakers.

i would be wanting colour matching and from looking at the beech ones, those are what id prefer unless you can get cherry floorstanders and they look nice :smashin:.

what about the cambridge audio stuff?

you say the QA will work well with the yamaha 465, but for the time being i would need them to work with my sony ;), im going to be upgrading slowly starting with the speakers.

I don't know anything about the CA speakers, though i have a feeling i've seen reference to them on the speaker forums so try a search

The QAs would also work with your Sony amp as they are neutral sounding.

From superfi, the 1030is seem to be available in both beech and cherry, but the centre only in cherry. So, from superfi, the only common colour is cherry.

hmm ok cheers, i will have to take a look:smashin:, i want good/decent speakers, but also ones that look good too :), my pioneer's are lightwood and they look fancy in my eyes lol

they do look nice in the cherry colour actually;), are the QA subs any good as an overall i would want a single branded 5.1 :thumbsup:

going back to the warfs, i have come across the vardus range on superfi and they do look good and the description sounds good, but are they actually any good and same goes for the subs? :confused:

i want to hope to start changing either end of feb or sometime in march and to keep it under 400 or 500 overall, only theses 3 sets appeal.

QA 1000i series
Warf vardus series
Cambridge audio S models

they do look nice in the cherry colour actually;), are the QA subs any good as an overall i would want a single branded 5.1 :thumbsup:

going back to the warfs, i have come across the vardus range on superfi and they do look good and the description sounds good, but are they actually any good and same goes for the subs? :confused:

i want to hope to start changing either end of feb or sometime in march and to keep it under 400 or 500 overall, only theses 3 sets appeal.

QA 1000i series
Warf vardus series
Cambridge audio S models

Many people have a different make of sub to the speakers and i wouldn't worry about matching.
Check out the sub forums for sub siggestions, but may people buy this sub over the QA one:

Gemini

I don't know anything about the Vardus range.

Bear in mind that the Qa1000i sereis is discontinued and when existing stocks are gone, that's it and you will have to get the 2000 series at current pricing, which isn't much of an increas for the centre, but much more for the floorstanders. I'm not sure if they are doing a 2030; I've searched a few times and couldn't find it, but they are doing a 2050 floorstander.

ah right i didnt relise the 1000i series were discontinued, think i will pass on them then as id rather stick to stuff still being produced given im doing this in stages ;) and as i think its crazy spending hundreds on speakers that arnt for a dedicated money no object cinema room, id want to spend nomore than £400 maybe £500 as a whole.

i will just have to keep researching, im in no rush..

no i know you dont need to match sub's with speakers, mean i havnt, i was just thinking a matching sub might compliment the same branded speakers just as good if not better than other brands, plus matching also gets you the same colour/style ;)

no i know you dont need to match sub's with speakers, mean i havnt, i was just thinking a matching sub might compliment the same branded speakers just as good if not better than other brands,

There is a case for that but often with the lower end speaker/sub packages, the sub is sometimes wakest link and buying a different sub from a known sub manufacturer can be better. That is not always the case though.

ah ok then i get ya, the only reason i didnt get a pioneer sub was because the basic 90w model was a fair bit more than the 80w mission to buy, so have no comparison, hence asking :), i suppose really i would just want some nice deep bass, maybe deeper than my mission, so brand and power probly wont matter, but i dont think ive set any of my speakers to their full potenial, to know any different :rolleyes:.

i do see that gemini sub suggested alot and spec does look good when i had a nosey :cool:, but its way to pricey.

i think im setting my sights on the cambridge gear, they do look nice and stylish and the specs seem good and my sony receiver should(well hopefully someone will re-asure me that it will) power them nicely ;), though it be awhile before i could warrant spending £250 for flooestanders :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom