Which of these two TVs should I choose ?

IceKid94

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have narrowed my choice down to two choices. I think these are tow good choices (from what I hear they are great choices but do tell me if they aren't or if you yourself have had a bad experience.)

Option 1 (Samsung QE55Q7FAM) : SAMSUNG QE55Q7FAM 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR QLED TV

Option 2 (Sony Bravia KD55XE9005) : Sony Bravia KD55XE9005 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, 55" with Freeview HD & Youview, Black at John Lewis

There have been very specific videos comparing these very two TVs however I have just come to the realisation that there is a similar model (XBR55X900E) which they may have been comparing the Q7F to. If that was the case, then which TV would you say is better between the KD55XE9005 and the XBR55X900E (if any difference).

I hope to hear from people soon and would appreciate if you could take into account the fact that I plan on playing PS4 (original PS4 not PRO if that matters) and watching sports (football etc.)

Any 4K/HDR content used? Or in the pipeline? Would you be pairing the tv with a 4K player?

Any 4K/HDR content used? Or in the pipeline? Would you be pairing the tv with a 4K player?

I plan to use Netflix Crunchyroll and pretty much all the catch up players. (Iplayer etc.) . No I won't use a 4K player. I dont plan to eithier. The main things I will use is chromecast/PS4 and watching TV channels like normal.

In that case I think the two you’ve listed are overkill. Go for Samsung 55MU7000 instead.

You are looking at two TVs that are expensive because they have such good HDR support, for other purposes you are probably over spending.

If you want a starter TV for HDR and have immediate plans to pair a new TV with HDR sources such as a HDR games console, UHD Blu-Rays with HDR and/or Netflix amazon subs with HDR then it makes sense to get a more expensive TV, if you don't, it doesn't.

What is it you are currently using btw? Normal TV channels, crunchyroll, catch up TV etc is mostly in SD quality or poorer HD quality and that isn't going to look fantastic on an UHD TV.

UHD TVs are an upgrade when you have very good quality sources, netflix will look good in HD, but anything less and well, meh.

here is some useful information as to why an UHD TV isn't always an upgrade: Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD

And here is info on the best buys: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition including both tv's you've mentioned.

Why are these two overkill ?

You’re not going to be using quality sources needed to get most out of them. You have no plans to either and the sources you do use you can do so with TVs in lower price range, with possible exception of Netflix.

I’d save the money and get a lower range set until you have plans to use better quality sources. Or not upgrade at all - why do you want to upgrade? And what from?

I have a 7 year old Sony Bravia which is a standard 1080p one. The warranty has passed also so looking to upgrade. I think I might take my chances with the XE90. But can you point out the key difference if any between the MU7000 and the Q7F because if there isnt a difference I could be saving 400-500 pounds. Can you please be specific with this too? I dont want a generalised answer of a simple no lol.

The key differences are in the quality of HDR and addition of the a better anti reflection filter. The Q7 gets a lot brighter with HDR.

Same can be said with the Sony XE85 and XE90 except both of these have good anti reflection filters.

There's plenty of info already describing differences here: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

You can also search the forum for either TV to get similar answers.

I wouldn't make this mistake thinking a new TV will be an upgrade unless you pair it with good quality sources. If you read the guides above you'll understand why. Nothing more can really be said. Can't say you haven't been warned!

The key differences are in the quality of HDR and addition of the a better anti reflection filter. The Q7 gets a lot brighter with HDR.

Same can be said with the Sony XE85 and XE90 except both of these have good anti reflection filters.

There's plenty of info already describing differences here: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

You can also search the forum for either TV to get similar answers.

I wouldn't make this mistake thinking a new TV will be an upgrade unless you pair it with good quality sources. If you read the guides above you'll understand why. Nothing more can really be said. Can't say you haven't been warned!

Do you know if I can pay monthly for John Lewis TVs?

So basically the TVs that I am going for I have to pay in full price .

Also your guide lists XE9005 at the top of the list for most size ranges. Would you recommend that I go for XE9005 then ?
If you need a TV of its calibre yes, if you don't need decent HDR then you can spend less.

Most people will be happy with a budget model given your uses.

I plan to take advantage of HDR for my PS4 and wouldnt it also be useful for sports like football too ?

I want to spend less than £1000 if possible and the XE9005 is exactly on the budget for that. I am not planning on replacing my TV for a very long time after this. If I go with a budget model like the MU7000 don't you think that it will be better for me to go for a TV like the XE9005 which is of high calibre and suitable for my budget which allows for my TV to last quite a lengthy time.

In your honest opinion. What sets the XE9005 apart from the Q7F and the MU7000.

These 3 TVs are in my line of sight atm. The Q7F may be out of my price range but if it truly does provide the extra benefit for an amazing picture plus all the requirements I asked above with gaming and sports then I could take that TV into consideration.

PS4 Pro or standard? It’ll be a good few years yet before football is widely broadcast in HDR - the World Cup coverage is very limited. Sky and BT do not broadcast hdr yet.

Given your uses and the changing landscape of the tv world then you’d be better with a lower range set for now and then upgrade when you have plans to use high quality content including uhd discs etc. Save the difference while the technology matures.

The XE90 is already out of date, for example

The XE9005 and MU7000a are both 2017 models. So I wouldn't consider them out dated cos they r still being sold in places like john Lewis and Richer Sounds. However, I am probably not gonna upgrade for a long time the next time I upgrade is 2025 or onwards. That is another 7 plus years from now and technology will have hit a new level by then. I don't wanna stick with a lower range model for the next 7-9 years. I see where you are coming from though.

Standard PS4 is what I have.

You really aren't listening to the advice you're being given.

Regardless of which of the TV's you're looking at buying you won't see any benefit with your sources over a £500-600 TV.
If anything, and it would fit, get a lower spec 65" like a Hisense 6800 for £800

Last edited:
Just stick with what you have and save up for this time next year and the £1000 mark, then you will have much better choice with the 2018 QLEDs and XF9005 :)

Bit of a ramble no idea if this will help

I am in a similar position, what to do.

I tend to be a keeper as well current set Oct 2008 42" Plasma which replaced a 10y rear projection.

Nothing wrong with the set the primary motivator to changing is a bigger screen with 55"-58" as my sweet spot.

Viewing is VM basic package HD where possible, a bit of freeview(not HD) and in those 9.5 years the only new bit is NowTV box for some streaming(tidier than a PC) making it "smart" enough.

Looking at the amount of UHD and HDR material with the price of the 1/2 decent HDR sets in 55" range around £1k and OLED starting at £1,300 (unless you include the £850 electriq-55-oled-review)
I am struggling with the cost/reward/value justification of something like the 55" LG C7 OLED which is probably best fit moving from the Plasma.

I would also need to start adding more money to get the sources needed to make use of the features especially HDR

I feel that sets have moved ahead of the material in the UK so unless you have UHD sources in mind for the immediate(<1y) future I think the better alternative is get one of the best of the rest like the 55" MU7000 £700 or step down to 50" and find something under £600, or spend a bit more and go up in size.

JL/RS 5y/6y warranty and that £700 set costs £2.24-£2.70 per week I can live with.

By then there should be more material available and the HDR standards might have settled, although something new will be in the pipeline.

Future proofing a TV is very hard and expensive and in my case I have never really needed to as each change the cost has driven size rather than any future proof features

----------------------------
I also have the sound side to think about, ancient 2001 5.1 YamahaRX-V800 connected to a set of bookshelf and a sub, think time to clean up the act and fork out for a decent soundbar and be done with the bulky mess which we don't ramp up much these days for that cinema experience.

----------------------------
Or I just keep what I have and go on another holiday.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom