• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which of these two DVD recorders is the best?

Delmar

Standard Member
Which combi DVD/VCR recorder is best between the following two, in terms of reliability and practicality of use:

the Panasonic DMREZ48 VCR/DVD Recorder

or

the Toshiba DVR19DTKB VCR/DVD Recorder/Digital Receiver?

It's to use with a Panasonic Viera, not sure whether it makes any difference, I've heard of the "Viera Link" but have no idea whether it would make things easy with the Panasonic Viera that I will buy soon.

Gavtech

Administrator
Which combi DVD/VCR recorder is best between the following two, in terms of reliability and practicality of use:

the Panasonic DMREZ48 VCR/DVD Recorder

or

the Toshiba DVR19DTKB VCR/DVD Recorder/Digital Receiver?

It’s to use with a Panasonic Viera, not sure whether it makes any difference, I've heard of the "Viera Link" but have no idea whether it would make things easy with the Panasonic Viera that I will buy soon.

The Panasonic has better overall build quality and signal handling, wider disc support and operationally are usually the simplest on the market to operate.

That said - You should only consider a combo machine if you no longer have a working VCR.
If your VCR still works, it is better to get an HDD based DVD recorder such as the Panasonic EX769 or the EX79.

Link systems are a bit of a gimmick... perhaps a bonus in some circumstances, but not enough to effect any purchasing choice.
There are more important things.

Delmar

Standard Member
Thanks to both of you :thumbsup:. I'll probably go for the Panasonic then if they are easier to operate. My old VCR stopped working this summer, hence my preference for a combi.

My main question is: we have a secondary TV upstairs (analogue) that my wife uses a lot in her craft/spare room, it is a small Daewoo 20' with a built-in VCR. If I buy the Panasonic combi DVD/VCR recorder with a digital tuner, and if I record programmes on my main Panasonic Viera (that I will be buying soon), will these programmes, presumably recorded in digital, be watchable on the analogue Daewoo?

Gavtech

Administrator

My main question is: we have a secondary TV upstairs (analogue) that my wife uses a lot in her craft/spare room, it is a small Daewoo 20' with a built-in VCR. If I buy the Panasonic combi DVD/VCR recorder with a digital tuner, and if I record programmes on my main Panasonic Viera (that I will be buying soon), will these programmes, presumably recorded in digital, be watchable on the analogue Daewoo?

If I am right in presuming you mean to record onto a video cassette on the Panasonic and then play it in the Daewoo... then yes it will playback, no matter what you record.

Delmar

Standard Member
Yes, that's right, it would be from a digital source (both Panasonic, TV + VCR) onto the analogue Daewoo, I was wondering whether a tape recorded on a digital source (or DVD) would play on an analogue one, so it would be OK, wouldn't it?

I am assuming that both the Panasonic X10 TV and the Panasonic DVD/VCR recorder have digital tuners (and only digital tuners), there's no analogue tuners on those machines, are they?

Gavtech

Administrator
Yes, that's right, it would be from a digital source (both Panasonic, TV + VCR) onto the analogue Daewoo, I was wondering whether a tape recorded on a digital source (or DVD) would play on an analogue one, so it would be OK, wouldn't it?

I am assuming that both the Panasonic X10 TV and the Panasonic DVD/VCR recorder have digital tuners (and only digital tuners), there's no analogue tuners on those machines, are they?

Yes the combi has a digital tuner only. I don't know the status of the TV... but either way , it has no relevance whatsoever.

No matter what the source of the signal, a VHS standard cassette recorded on any device, will play on any other.

Delmar

Standard Member
All right, thanks.

Is it the same for DVDs recorded onto that particular DVD recorder, would it play onto a bog-standard DVD player? (basic one worth £25). What sort of DVD format would you need for it to play onto a basic DVD player?

(not sure how to give thanks)

Gavtech

Administrator
All right, thanks. Is it the same for DVDs recorded onto that particular DVD recorder, would it play onto a bog-standard DVD player? (basic one worth £25). What sort of DVD format would you need for it to play onto a basic DVD player?

Yes, DVD's should play. The most universally compatible format is a DVD-R that has been finalised. ... [ and they must be finalised to play elsewhere]

(not sure how to give thanks)

In the bottom right of each box that contains a post [ Any except your own] is a 'Thanks' button. Just click that.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom