Which of these TV's is best?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Comrade Dan, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Comrade Dan

Comrade Dan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I am looking at three TV's but can't decide which is best.

Samsung UE49MU7000. Sony KD 49XE8005 (Alias' listed in link). LG 49SJ800V.

I will be using the TV as a productivity monitor (several windows open at once), for a little gaming and for movies of course. Here's a link to a spec comparison:

Comparison between: 48.5" Samsung UE49MU7000, 48.5" Sony KD-49XE8096, 54.6" LG 55SJ850V

My primary question is which TV is the best. Alternative suggestions are welcome, but please don't suggest spending more money. €900/£780 is my absolute max budget.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    You can discount the LG then, it's got an unusual subpixel structure and while that doesn't affect normal TV viewing it may well impact your productivity use. The normal panels start on the next model up in the LG range, the SJ85.

3. Angelo M

Angelo M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    None of the above models.

The Samsung and the Sony has only 60 hz panel and the LG hasn't a real 4K panel (RGBW).

For the price is better the Hisense 50N6800. :)

Hisense N6800 TV | Hisense UK

4. Comrade Dan

Comrade Dan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm curious why people care about the actual refresh rate of the TV. What content can you get that plays above 60 frames per second? Also, any actual 120hz TV can only support 120hz at 1080p. HDMI can't support more than 60 fps at 4k so whats the point in 120hz?

That TV you sent me is only 60hz too and it's nearly worse than the Samsung in every key specification?

5. ryanvincent

ryanvincent
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    This.
    You can't go wrong with Hisense for a good low priced TV, you get really good value for money with them.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    Main purpose is you get more options to enhance motion through blank frame insertion and frame interpolation. A 60hz TV can't interpolate 50hz content so if you are watching sports its a much better idea to get a higher hz TV if you want more impressive motion.

For movies and gaming its really not that useful, stronger blank frame insertion might be if the TV allows you to use it whilst gaming but that's about it.

Be careful with that website, the info isn't always correct. What specifications are you looking at? Panel bit depth is next to useless.

Do you need wide viewing angles or do you view head on? I guess on a TV you are going to use for productivity you have to consider being too close. If it is a TV with a VA type panel then the narrow viewing angles could be a problem depending how close you will view.

If you also will view at a distance at an angle rather than straight on it may be an issue.

But in all other circumstances getting a VA panel will be preferred, especially for movies as they will have better contrast, deeper black levels and overall much better screen uniformity as their IPS counterparts.

7. Comrade Dan

Comrade Dan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm delighted you've replied. I've seen you commenting on a few posts and you seem to really know your stuff. My face will be around 4.5 feet from the screen and I will probably be viewing it from a slight angle but it will be near enough square to my position. It will be mostly used in the day time in natural light for productivity. A little bit of PC gaming, just for the novelty of seeing 4k games but I have a 27 inch, 144hz, g-sync, 1440p display that is my main gaming screen. Then it will be used to watch a few episodes or movies here or there in a dark room.

I have a pre-order on the Samsung with Amazon.de at a good price (£740.00) but they can't give me any idea on when it will be in stock, just that it should be "soon". I can get the Sony for £630 on sale which I think is a steal given that it costs £910 right now in my local Curry's (Ireland).

Is there any other TV in that price point that you think is superior? If not, which one do you think would be the best? Is there any glaring issue you see with the Sony?

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    Thanks for the kind words!

Gotta be a bit careful with the MU7000, whilst its a decent TV its not using a faster 120hz panel at 49" compared to its larger sizes...it makes the TV not really good value compared to other models at that size such as the Panasonic 50EX700, Hisense 50N6800 or Samsung 50MU6100 It does use a VA panel though, which by the sounds of it, is what you will want.

I would not consider the Sony XE80 series at all due to its poor black levels (IPS panel).

Are you able to wait and buy at a better time? - Its generally a poor time to buy now and would be better value at black friday or during sales if historic price data is anything to go by...at least in the UK. Actually the best time to buy would be in spring next year when the new models are announced/released its not unusual to see TVs almost half their release price at this time. But your decision is made hard because there are not very good options at 49/50" this year between low end and high end...there is a big gap in the market between.

The stand out value TV is the Sony XE9005 which is obviously a lot more expensive. Hopefully we see this TV down to £1000 during sales but its still outside of your budget.

Below that model the only TV I can think of that may get close to your budget in sales is the 49MU8000. Its a significant upgrade to the MU7000 at that size as it uses a higher hz panel.

But if you want to buy now then you may as well go for the aforementioned 50" 60hz models as they are a lot cheaper than the MU7000 and are just as good...like you already said, maybe you are just happy with a 60hz panel and you aren't going to use additional motion settings? Certainly for productivity you aren't really going to benefit from the 120hz panel.

If you can look at 55" then its a little different as the MU7000 uses a 120hz panel and you might find this tv within your budget come black friday. There are also the Sony XE85 series at that size that may also come closer to your budget in sales...generally we see better discounts on the 55" models, its definitely the sweet spot for value.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse more. Its silly really that there is so much to think about.

9. Comrade Dan

Comrade Dan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the in depth reply. SO for a UK/Ireland customer, when roughly would these sales be?

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
  11. Comrade Dan

Comrade Dan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I've made a little list of TV's and the best prices I can currently get. I've put stars beside the ones that might reasonably be expected to drop to €1,000.00. Of those three, how big an improvement would I be talking about over the UE49MU7000?

Samsung UE55MU9000

€1,461.95

Samsung UE49MU9000

€1,293.00

Samsung UE55MU8000 ***

€1,250.71 ***

Samsung UE55MU7000 ***

€1,071.40 ***

Sony Bravia KD-55XE9005

€1,329.00

Sony Bravia KD-49XE9005 ***

€1,293.00 ***

Sony Bravia KD-55XE8500

€1,085.00

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    The 55MU7000, 55MU8000, 55MU9000 aren't very different. I wouldn't really consider the MU8000 or MU9000 at that size, the extra is not worth it over the MU7000/Sony XE85

At 49" the 49MU8000, 49MU9000 are better than the 49MU7000 but overall are on par with TVs like the 55MU7000 and 55XE85.

The 49" XE90 is in a different class to the other TVs, particularly with HDR performance, if you want a TV that will be HDR capable its the minimum to get. The 55" version is of course preferable.

I wrote about it in another guide in my signature, it should make it easier putting the TVs in to different categories:

The Sony XE90 (pretty much) fits in to the category:
    4.Those that accept a HDR signal, have WCG and also get bright enough to meet UHD HD Premium specifications for HDR. These are the minimum I would care about purchasing if I wanted HDR.

Whilst the others fit in to category:
    3.Those that accept a HDR signal, but have wide colour gamut (WCG) to at least display better colours with HDR.

With the MU7000 being bottom of the pile at 49" only as it uses a 60hz panel.

Summary:

It would be a waste getting the XE90 if you don't think you will be using much HDR and it will be a waste getting a 120hz panel TV if you think you aren't going to have a play around with motion settings to improve motion.

The choice is up to you, whilst there are other small benefits to spending more, these are the primary points. Other things aren't really worth the extra.

Its also worth considering you can never match the immersion of a larger screen and with UHD it is not a bad idea to go 55" if you can accommodate it, even if it means going for a worse TV overall.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  13. Comrade Dan

Comrade Dan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, you're my hero Dodgexander! If you ever need help choosing PC components, I would be happy to reciprocate your assistance.

Right, so whatever screen I get, 75% of the time it will be used to display a PDF or word DOC. 15% of the time it will be used as a display for 4k 60fps PC gaming and 10% of the time it will be used for 4k ripped movies (which are probably heavily compressed since a 4k film torrent is only ~ 10gb). I don't have a BluRay or DVD player and all of the media I watch is ripped (@1080p) or streamed (@4k). The 4k is primariily going to be useful as I can have 8 pages of a doc open at once in sufficient detail to read it. So would I be right in saying that any extra investment would be wasted over the UE49MU7000?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    Yes, Id say its wasted. I would be tempted to go for the Hisense 50N6800 in your case or Samsung 50MU6100/ Panasonic EX700 though as the MU7000 is not good value at all compared to those TVs. They cost a lot less than the Samsung and they do everything just as well.

I did see I made a stupid error in my last post that I have now corrected. The 49MU7000 has a 60hz panel which is why its bottom of the pile, not 120hz. Doh :thumbsdow