Which Of These Stereo Receivers Is Best??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DJboutit, Aug 8, 2018.

1. DJboutit

DJboutit
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kenwood VR406 VR407 V6030D V7030D V8030D

Pioneer VSX456 VSX D506S VSX D507S

Yamaha RX777

Sony STR DE845 STR DE945 STR DE885 STR DE 1075

Which 4 of these are the best?? They all have a phono preamp and I should be able to get one for $50 to $115

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,407
    I suspect the reason you got no reply to the other identical thread is that this is a UK forum. Stereo receivers have always been less popular on this side of the pond & often not even available to buy. So you're going to be better off addressing a forum with product knowledge over there, maybe avsforum.

3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I agree with you about the unpopularity, and am suggesting it might be misplaced prejudice. Except for my first amplifer, an rtvc, i think ,tottenham road special, i have always gone for the added value of a tuner built in. . A vintage Nikko 5050, still alive and kicking, but very bland compared with more recent offerings , a marantz sr66, which has been in service daily as both amplifier and radio since the mid 90s and my two new acquisitions.. a yamaha v440, got because it has rds, but is a really nice and musical amplifier and has replaced the marantz and my most recent acquisition from this week a sony de400 , which is competitive with the yamaha.
    At some stage i picked up a Technics amplifer Su600, and it is no where as good as the yamaha.
    The better brands of av receiver have bypass buttons so that the extra processing is ignored and the stereo is as good as the power stage and power supply can offer..

I think you cannot go wrong with any of the premium brands of yamaha, sony, marantz etc, so it then becomes a question of price and what processing features one wants.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    How about you just tell us how much money you have to spend, and what specific features you would like the amp to have?

Also, your locations ...as in.. country?

As to which of those amps is best, impossible to tell. They all could be good, but age, condition, storage, use/abuse, many factors come into play.

Used equipment can be something of a crap-shoot. You are dependent on the honesty of the seller to represent the equipment honestly and accurately. You can get some fantastic bargains, and you can really maximize your money, but you can also get screwed, though ...to be fair... that is less likely to happen.

Also if you are from North America, the AVS Forum is probably a better place to post -

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    I would be inclined to cross SONY off the list. I had an old Pioneer Integrated Amp, best amp I ever owned. Hated to get rid of it. Back in the day, I would also expect good results from Kenwood and Yamaha. Nothing against Sony, but I think there are better choices.

Steve/bluewizard

6. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    ..well I have always had a soft spot for Sony, ever since 1957, and their first transistor radio... , Brought to Europe by an uncle from Japan....
    I take it that there are like electronic exchange marts in the states buying and selling of second hand electronics? These would presumably have guarantees