• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

which of these small cars is best?

• Thread starter Deleted member 585609
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 585609

which of these small cars would you say was the best?

hyundai getz
fiat grande punto
ford fiesta
toyota yaris
kia picanto
mitsubishi colt
chevrolet aveo
citroen c2
or any you would suggest or recomend? (not a peugeot 107, 206 and not a citroen c1 and not a toyota aygo, and not a honda jazz and no ford ka)

whats more reliable? what does best mpg? etc etc ...

Last edited by a moderator:

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Are we talking new or as a used buy as the C2 isnt made anymore but the yaris, picanto, punto etc.. are, i think i budget would help say the best small car for 5k. Also mpg will vary as you can get diesels and petrols in all sizes.

D

Deleted member 585609

Are we talking new or as a used buy as the C2 isnt made anymore but the yaris, picanto, punto etc.. are, i think i budget would help say the best small car for 5k.

used, have been looking arround and they (cars in the list above) are the ones i like, just dont know which is the best of them

as some people say avoid french cars like the plague, some say french are best, some people say fiat stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow, and some people say fiat are excellant and super reliable

which would you say was the best on my list? :)

mjn

Distinguished Member
More reliable? You want something Japanese.
More warranty? you want something Korean.

D

Deleted member 585609

i dont mind petrol or diesel, just been looking on gumtree and autotraderm and so confused on what to get :/

un1eash

Distinguished Member
I would avoid early cars from Hyundai,Kia and Chevrolet myself. Ive had a C2 VTS which was good but didnt like the handling. Yaris is a great little car and pretty much bullet proof. Dont do Fords and not heard much about the Colt. So after all that i would buy a Suzuki Swift, idealy a 1.6 Sport but thats because i think its the beat warm hatch availble today, second choice would be the Yaris.

D

Deleted member 585609

I would avoid early cars from Hyundai,Kia and Chevrolet myself. Ive had a C2 VTS which was good but didnt like the handling. Yaris is a great little car and pretty much bullet proof. Dont do Fords and not heard much about the Colt. So after all that i would buy a Suzuki Swift, idealy a 1.6 Sport but thats because i think its the beat warm hatch availble today, second choice would be the Yaris.

ooh i do like the swift, but unfortuantly cant afford one, otherwise would definatly buy the swift, but can afford the rest

personally i dont really like the picanto, just a local garage said they arent bad, for me the fav 3 from my list is the grande punto, yaris and fiesta

whats your opinion on fiat? do you call them "Fix It Again Tomorrow" ? lol

rongood

Prominent Member
which of these small cars would you say was the best?

hyundai getz
fiat grande punto
ford fiesta
toyota yaris
kia picanto
mitsubishi colt
chevrolet aveo
citroen c2
or any you would suggest or recomend? (not a peugeot 107, 206 and not a citroen c1 and not a toyota aygo, and not a honda jazz and no ford ka)

whats more reliable? what does best mpg? etc etc ...

Was in the same position as you a couple of weeks ago, did the online insurance compare and found the kia/hyundai/chevvy all dearer for some reason.....Anyway went for a 2003 Toyota Yaris 1.3 SR and was gobsmacked with the mpg on the way home as it was doing 59.8 mpg average WOW:cool:

That was from the onboard computer so dont know how accurate they are, will do a brim to brim later for total accuracy when it eventually needs LOL.

It's a nice little car with big aspirations to my mind and very nice to drive.....Air con etc so can recommend. :smashin:

ATB

Ron

montybaber

Prominent Member
Just bought a corsa and im very pleasantly suprised, 1.4 and averaging 48mpg, interior is good quality and drives much better than it should for such a small car.

Cant fault it at present, good cheap motoring

Dave Brand

Established Member
The only cars on your list that I have any experience of are the Grande Punto & the Fiesta (previous model).

It depends, of course, on what you want from a car. Personally I wouldn't touch a Grande Punto as it has the worst steering of any car I've ever driven - totally devoid of any feel whatsoever. The Fiesta wasn't a bad little car - I could live with one.

redaprilia

Established Member
Fiesta is a excellent plus you have the "ford" back up if you need any replacement parts . Plus Ford dealers are doing fantastic deals on PCP deals for new cars .

New cars are cheaper than used !

Flawed Tactics

Established Member
No mention of a Corsa in your list? I drove a Corsa for 8 year, 8 years of trouble free motoring. It was well looked after and I think that gos along way when it comes to a cars reliability.

However, I sold that 2 months ago for the Fiesta (61 plate) I drive now. Totally impressed with the Fiesta so far, only 9 months old so a long way to go before it beats the Corsa for trouble free ownership but it feels solid enough and I'm confident its going to prove reliable.

I don't believe all this - Japanese/German = best reliability/build, everything else is so-so... there are so many factors involved, how a car is driven, how well maintained etc, right down to manufacturing defects that can plague a car for years.

I'd recommend the Fiesta (newest models) comfy, smooth, nice to drive.

D

Deleted member 585609

Thank you all! The new car has now been purchased, went for a Fiat Grande Punto, its AMAZING!!

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Thank you all! The new car has now been purchased, went for a Fiat Grande Punto, its AMAZING!!

Curry Monster will be so proud! :D

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Congrats, looked at one of these our selves. Good little cars and ive not heard many issues with them. What engine you gone for?

D

Deleted member 585609

un1eash said:
Congrats, looked at one of these our selves. Good little cars and ive not heard many issues with them. What engine you gone for?

It's a 1.4 active sport 8 or 16v (log book and MOT certificate say 8v, but sticker in car says 16v, so not sure)

It's lush!

If you get one, don't get a 06 or 56 reg as they have faulty power steering units as a common fault, but fiat say only the 06 and 56 are affected

Go for it! It's Brilliant!

D

Deleted member 585609

Car isn't for me, it's for my mother, I'm 17 and don't drive yet, and se got me to post on here lol, she says it's the best "drive" of any car she's owned :)

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
1iam5mith said:
Car isn't for me, it's for my mother, I'm 17 and don't drive yet, and se got me to post on here lol, she says it's the best "drive" of any car she's owned :)

Well if she'll let you, it might not cost too much to get insured as a learner on it if she's willing to teach you, even if only to learn the basics.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom