• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which of these receivers to get? - Need second zone

mysticalice

Standard Member
Hi,

We moved into a house that has a living room that backs up to the outside pool area. I'd like to get a receiver that supports dual zones (either powered or at least a line out for it), so we can have speakers in the living room, and speakers outside.

I've narrowed my selection down to either the Denon AVR1913 or AVR1713. The only difference between the two is one of them (the 1913) has a powered zone 2 - where i'd just have to connect the outdoor speakers, and the other (the 1713) has a RCA 'line out' for the second zone.

I have no problem getting an amp for the second zone, but my two questions were:

1) On either receiver, is it possible to play a separate SOURCE for the second zone? For instance I may want to have Pandora playing in the background for the living room, but playing a CD or other input for the second zone
2) Which should I go with - the powered zone 2 or line out zone 2 (needing a power amp)? I do worry that the 'powered zone 2' will not be loud enough for us, as it's going to have to power 4 speakers outside (two on the one channel, hooked up in paralle, and two on the other channel, in parallel). I don't have a problem getting an amplifier (like an Audio Source 100 pro amp).

Open to any suggestions

mysticalice

Standard Member
I guess i'm not DEAD set on the Denons, but they do have (from what i've heard) good 2nd zone capabilities

Also considering Onkyo TX-NR626 or Sony STR-DN1030

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Also, you do realise that the second zone only works for analogue sources to the receiver and the internal tuner/network. So anything connected to the receiver via HDMI, optical or coaxial can not be played through zone 2. You can have one source for zone 1 and another for zone 2 playing at the same time. If looking at powering 4 speakers then you need to consider the impedance the amp will see. 2 speakers in parallel of 8 ohms will give an impedance at the amp of 4 ohms which is only just acceptable (and probably a little low if you want to play loud) but if the speakers are lower impedance than 8 ohms then you will be dropping to levels that could damage the reciever hence a separate amp may be a better idea.
What speakers are you looking at getting in each location?

mysticalice

Standard Member
Thank you for the response. Yes sir, I understand that the second zone only works for analog inputs (was going to use the RCA CD player input or something similar).
Also there will be times we'll want what's playing on the first zone to be playing on the second zone too, and it was my understanding dual zone receivers support that feature too. Let me know if I'm wrong

Haven't decided on speakers just yet. Open to any suggestions - they'll need to be outdoor

mysticalice

Standard Member

mysticalice

Standard Member
If i had to, I could get by with 2 good speakers outside, instead of 4. Coverage wouldn't be as good, but as long as they're good quality and can still get loud enough, that should work, if that ends up being the limiting factor

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 1713 has analogue inputs on top right. They are labelled sat and dvd but will be fine with a cd player attached.

mysticalice

Standard Member
But if I use those inputs, I won't be able to plug into the Sat or DVD HDMI ports at the back will I? It's one or the other isn't it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom