1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these PJ's you recommend

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bonfigli, Feb 15, 2005.

1. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Got some advice from Paulfoley about some decent projectors to have a look at!

Could any of you experts give your opinion on which is the better model?

Panasonic AE500, Sanyo Z2 or a Hitachi TX100!

I can't decide which one deserves my well earned (begged the mrs) money!!

Thanks

Bonfigli

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Have you seen any yourself? What about DLP? Those are all LCD so try and get a look at both technologies before buying anything. The Sony HS50 seems the best LCD out there, but prone to the usual LCD foibles. You might prefer DLP if you don't suffer from the rainbow effect.

Gary.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Both machines are great.

Gary's advice is sound, but many people (like myself) buy blind and I'm sure very few people send their units back.

For the price, the pics from these machines are fantastic.

From my limited knowledge of these things, the TX can suffer from dust and can be noisy - and the warranty is only 1 year. The AE700 seems to suffer from worse Vertical Banding, and there was some concern about lamp flicker. Unsure of the warranty. Must emphasise, I'm pointing out the bad points which affect a minority - the majority won't experience these issues (VB aside, many LCD's suffer this but it's so slight it doesn't detract from the enjoyment).

Both will give you a bright, clear, detailed pic. There was recently a comparative review of these on the cine4home web site (german, but can use a translator) - do a search on the forum.

As Gary says, don't discount DLP - by all accounts they give an equally good pic at this price range, despite the resolution of the image being inferior. People will rightly point out the rainbows potential issue, but again that only affects the minority. At 1K the Infocus 4805 is worth looking at, but it's more important you audition this one first in case rainbows are an issue.

As for the Panny and the Hitachi, you could safely buy either of these blind and not be dosappointed.

Good luck...PJ

4. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi is comparable to this years crop of projectors - the AE700 and the Z3, so it definatley stands out in your list.
    Like PJTX100 said, it went up against these PJ's in a head to head style review at cine4home.de and came in at second, behind the Sony.

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You can pick up a BenQ PB6100 DLP PJ for less then 600 quid new that will give you 2000:1 contrast ratio. Which is better then all three PJ's listed.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    oops well spotted, misread 500 and didn't see Z2...
    I'll go back to sleep...PJ :suicide:

7. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the great advice guys........

Maybe I have discounted the DLP's due to the rainbow effect to easily?!?!?!

You say they are the minority, but near enough every review I read try and deter you from the dreaded rainbow???

I really just want something that will look good in the dark, without braking the 1k mark.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    The odds are you'll be able to watch a DLP no problem. But if you have 1K the TX100 will be an excellent choice. It projects a bright and detailed image, and contrast is good too...PJ

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Bonfigli,

No projector technology is perfect, and although you may or may not see rainbows, LCD has it's own visual issues that you need to be aware of. Don't discount DLP due to one possible negative, so try to demo both.

Seeing a big image for the first time will make you go wow, but after a while when the novelty has worn off, that's when you may start seeing things that detract from the image.

Gary.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Don't disagree Gary, but isn't this the same for any technology? Plasma, LCD, CRT?

I think too much is made of the whole DLP / LCD thing. Buy a 4805 = delighted. Buy a TX100 = delighted. Both will exceed expectations (esp for a novice) I'm sure, and I don't believe the imperfections will detract from the enjoyment - people who don't read this forum probably don't even give them much thought. :) ...PJ

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Very true, but it's not unusual for people not to give these things thought only to discover them later and find they're looking at the DLP rainbows or LCD vertical banding etc and not enjoying the picture because of it.

If he's going to discount DLP because he's heard of rainbows, he may as well discount LCD because he's heard of dead pixels, vertical banding, lack of panel uniformity, poor pixel convergence and dust blobs etc. Captain Benefit returned his HS50 for some of those very reasons recently (and a DLP before that for other reasons) so it can and does happen. A demo is the only way to be sure, but unfortunately not always possible (as in Caps case, poor chap).

I didn't think it's unreasonable to make them aware of the fact that there are issues with LCD as well, but the only way to know if either technology is OK for them is to see them. Isn't it better to be aware of what to look for in advance rather than after you've spent £1000s?

The other technologies are easier to view in places like Dixons etc so are much easier to assess. Front projection is a lot harder to find in the high street so buying blind is often the only recourse for some.

Gary.

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yep, to paraphrase Gary, I am indeed a 'poor chap' :(

I don't think my experience is a solitary one. I suspect that my visiting of these forums on a regular basis with problems that I am vocal about can make me look fussy about my PJ. However, I am only too aware of the inherent flaws of each technology. Equally as TX points out, frequenting here has opened all of our eyes to plus and minus points of each technology. I suppose thats both good and bad. I mean, I would have simply owned a brand new Sony HS50 with a major problem and been none the wiser :suicide:

After I posted the uniformity issue screen-shot earlier this week I had forum sponsors and retailers PM 'ing me stating that in their opinion the problem looked unacceptable. As before, it was something I only picked up on once the PJ had bedded in and my new screen had been hung (which arrived damaged and is being replaced - but thats another story, refer to screen thread) Suddenly it leapt out. If you refer to my original review you will note how pleased I was with the 50.

On the reverse side of this situation please note that I had my Panny AE300 for 2 odd years and was very happy with it (aside from blown PSU) until the upgrade bug bit me late last year. I am not going to loose sleep over it though and I am simply exercising my right as a consumer if the goods are not up to the standard I expect. After all £1600.00 is a lot of money :lesson:

Finally, I have decided to cut my loses and I am currently evaluating the SIM range of projectors :D as I think I may spend a little more to get what I want.

Cheers,

Captain Benefit :smashin: