1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these PJs would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by -mo-, Aug 28, 2004.

1. -mo-

-mo-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, I've followed this forum for the last few weeks, and investigated various other PJ sites and my head is still spinning – I don't know what projector to buy :confused: . Every time I look, there's another hundred new projectors available. I've narrowed it down by setting the following requirements:-

XGA native resolution.
    DLP system, not LCD.
    Price up to £1500 max for the projector alone, plus another £500 or so for ancillary equipment (screen, DVD player, 5.1 speaker system).
    Projection distance 4 Metres.
    Maximum screen WIDTH 2 Metres (=2.3 Metres diagonal at 16:9). Ideally around 1.8 Metres diagonal projected image.
    Sitting / viewing distance from screen 3 Metres approx.
    Room is naturally dark (just one internal window with curtains) so a high lumens output is not required.
    Will be used mainly for watching movies on DVD.

I have found some info on the following projectors:-

BenQ PB6100 / PB6200 (£1033)
    Philips Bogart Matchline (£1157)
    Optoma EP756 (£1256)
    Optoma EP739 (£1408)
    InFocus LP70+ (£1530)

As far as I can tell, you get what you pay for – the more expensive machines are a bit better than the cheaper machines.

So my question is – what would your advice be as regards these projectors above, or should I be looking at another projector entirely.

My other problem is my location, I'm on the Isle of Man and so I can't travel down to my ‘local DP shop' to view the projector in person – I have to rely on your advice, then order the projector via the web.

Thanks for all your replies to this query, hopefully in a few months time I will be able to pass on my experience and advice to other newbies.

Maurice

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    mo,

welcome to the forums.........

I can't comment on the projectors mentioned, but a 2m wide image from a distance of 4m means you'd be looking for a projector with a pretty long throw..... also if your main purpose is watching dvds, I'd suggest a projector with a widescreen panel, 854x480 or 1024*576 as opposed to natve XGA.

You should check the throw of the projectors you're interested in on projectorcentral.com - they have a throw-distance calculator for each model - it will give you an idea of how the projector will fit in with your needs.

Sean.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why not LCD, have you ever seen a DLP, do you see "rainbows"??? I still think an AE500 or Z2 with good sources and screen outperform entry DLP units. If you must go DLP then consider Infocus 4805. But for my money a 16:9 LCD at £1000-1500 is better, Sanyo Z2 Panny AE500 or even wait for AE700 and SONY (cant remember model no) Are well worth a look.
    I cant impart how critical a demo is, try and get a cheap flight to UK for a day or 2 cheap hotel in a city centre that has a few dealers, Manchester??? and demo everything you can!!!!!!!!!
    Also will this be used for TV???

4. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Definitely the Panasonic PTAE500!

5. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Got to agree with pantages, the Panasonic PTAE500 is an awesome machine for the money (got mine for £1199 and a spare bulb for an extra £50).
    Regards :smashin:
    John.

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    I recently bought a Philips Bogart. My room constraints mean I have a 4.5m throw and a maximum of a 2m wide screen. The Bogart throws just under 1.8m width at that distance on maximum telephoto zoom (vs. wide).

The PJ actually has a super zoom mode that lets you digitally scale the image by using less of the panel. Obviously you lose some resolution but at 1024x768 you're still over the res of a DVD by some way.

Picture is great and it accepts RGB SCART input from an adapter in the box which is very convenient. It doesn't have a HDMI or DVI input, but I haven't got a compatible source anyway. I run mine from a Toshiba player over component which looks fine to me. I have a SCART switcher on order so I can run everything using RGBs over SCART and share all the sources with the TV without cable swapping.

The brochure is here (not much info)
    http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/PDF/Philips/Philips_Bogart_Matchline.pdf
    There is a link to a screen size calculator here which shows a 4m throw giving a
    http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/Philips_Bogart_Matchline.htm 1.88m diagonal 4:3 image.

I built myself a 4:3 fixed screen using an IKEA blind and some 2"x1" wood. In a darkened room playing Playstation games at that massive size is a real buzz. Watching 16:9 and 2.35:1 films isn't distracting as the unprojected part of the screen is very, very dark.

I was only able to demo a presentation projector and the Philips knocks spots off that. I do spot the odd rainbow, but not enough to make the film any less enjoyable. There were very few other PJs that fitted my throw restrictions (Hitachi Pj-TX10) so the Philips was a stand out choice.

Philips have withdrawn from the home cinema projector market but support is guaranteed for several years. I'd love to know who quoted you that price as the cheapest I could find was around the £1500 mark inc VAT

7. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah, AE500 or AE700 all the way !!!!! :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    I can't emphasise this enough: You need to be SURE that you (and anyone else in your family etc) will get along with DLP before you buy. It would be an expensive mistake if, having bought one, you find the rainbow artefact uncomfortable.

Beyond that - if your viewing choice is primarily widescreen DVD and/or digital TV then I advocate buying a native 16x9 (widescreen) projector.

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    If you read the throw distance/screen width options -mo- has given, the smallest screen size the AE500 can manage at 4m is a width of 244cm.
    Hitachi PJ-TX100 width of 194cm
    Hitachi PJ-TX10 width of 167cm
    Epson Home 10 width of 223cm
    Sony HS20 - 191cm
    (all from http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm)

When I was looking there were very few LCDs that could throw a small enough image at a long enough throw and I wasn't prepared to pay almost a grand for a PJ with a lower than PAL resolution.

I agree that buying a DLP blind might be an expensive mistake and would also urge -mo- to try and demo _any_ DLP projector before making a purchase.
    I didn't do comparative demos because I couldn't find enough time so I understand that may be difficult. I did make sure I wasn't going to puke if I watched a whole movie by using a presentation projector with a 1x colour wheel at home for a couple of nights before I put my hand in my pocket.

10. -mo-

-mo-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your time in replying, :thumbsup: I'm now going to consider LCD PJs, and I WILL try to get across the sea to a dealer and view some of the PJs I shortlisted and you suggested.
    I'll let you know what I end up buying.
    Maurice

11. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    -mo-, if you do decide to consider lcd, i just bought a Sony HS20 for £1526 delivered & i can highly recomend it. I love my films so theres no way i wanted to be distracted by rainbows from a dlp, but thats just me..... :smashin: