1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these multi-regional Progressive Scan DVD Players should I buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RocShemp, Nov 8, 2001.

1. RocShemp

RocShemp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a Region 1 DVD consumer interested in buying a DVD player with progressive scan, multi-regional capability (and a PAL to NTSC converter) that are reasonably priced. I found three but have found no reviews (in English, anyway) for any of them and was hoping someone here might have had or knows someone who has had experience with them. I'd like to know wich is the best for my buck.

They are BBK DVD-BBK919PS (this one interests me the most but I am unsure of all three), Shinco DVD-858PS, and Skyworth DVD-1050P.

In case anyone's wondering, I found all three at https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dvdplayer/main_frame.htm

I also found a Philips DVD-Q50 but it's too high ($518 US) for my current price range.

I'd appreciate any info any of you can offer me. Also, are the prices for the players reasonable or should I try looking someplace else? Or should I just forget about them altogether?

Also, should I just buy a Region 1 JVC XV-S65GD Progressive Scan DVD Player or is it too much of a hassle hack into it every so often?

2. RocShemp

RocShemp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any info at all would be a plus. Even if it's a link or... well.... anything really. I just want to make sure I don't spend my money in vain. :(

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I can't comment on any of the players you mention, but isn't the above requirement rather a conflict? Why would you want progressive, PLUS NTSC>PAL conversion? Progressive PAL does exist, but is very limited due to its current "Illegal?" status.

Do you mean, NTSC > PAL625/50 - eg so that you can copy NTSC to PAL VHS - or something else? If yes, then your options are very limited as few players do this. If you mean NTSC > PseudoPAl (PAL525/60) then what is the benefit?

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    Have you considered using your PC?
    Assuming you don't already have appropriate components, you could spend just a few of hundred dollars/couple of hundred pounds to get the DVD ROM drive, graphics card, sound card and software you need to get multi-region PAL and NTSC progressive scan output.

5. RocShemp

RocShemp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I meant PAL to NTSC. See I'm interested in PAL discs (like the Hong Kong Legends DVDs) and non-US NTSC discs. I'll be sure to edit my post and sorry for the confusion.

6. RocShemp

RocShemp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I would if the computer I'm using were mine and if it weren't quasi-crap when it comes to multi-media. :(