Question Which of these laptops?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Morning,

My current laptop is getting on a bit (Asus 4th gen i5 1.6ghz dual / 4GB RAM / 720m / 1tb 5400rpm). The battery failed like a year ago, and the HDD is also on it's last legs (plus I get a lot of cache issues where it just stops functioning). So' I'm on the hunt for a better all round machine.

After a browse around amazon I've come across 2 that suit my wanted spec/price range.

Asus ROG - ASUS ROG Strix ZX553VD-DM640T 15.6 inch FHD Gaming Laptop with Gaming Backpack and Mouse (Intel Kabylake Core i5-7300HQ, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD , NVIDIA GTX1050 4 GB GDDR5 Graphics, Windows 10): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

HP Omen - HP OMEN 17-w202nf PC Portable Gamer 17" Full HD Noir (Intel Core i5, 8 Go de RAM, Disque Dur 1 To + SSD 128 Go, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, Windows 10): Amazon.fr: Informatique

These laptops are near identical in price/spec bar a few things:

Asus - 15.6" compared to 17.2" on the HP
Asus - Nvidia 1050 4GB vs 1050 2GB on the HP
Asus comes with a mouse and backpack (I need a new mouse)
Asus is UK layout whereas the Omen is FR which is what I'm use to (live in France)

I've been looking for days and the gaming machines seem to offer the best price to performance ratio (not style winner though!). The boss got herself a Dell XPS 15 touch with the 4k screen which is very nice, but 1700 is far more then I want to spend and the cheaper models are too small with 13" screens (also sit around 1200).

**Open to other suggestions not exceeding 1k euro (900 odd quid).**

*Decent cpu (prefer quad)
*Min 8GB RAM (must be up-gradable to at least 16gb)
*Small SSD for windows (prob upgrade at some point)
*Reasonable dedicated GPU (light gaming/image processing)
*Backlit keyboard (someone is getting a home observatory for their bday :D so red backlite or changeable)
*Full keyboard

Ta!

edit - just ordered the ROG Strix GL55 860 euro on amazon.

Last edited:

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Comes tomorrow :D

It's going to be a massive upgrade over my current one. The 1.6 dual core and 4gb RAM seriously feels slow now. Though this one was a big upgrade over the previous which was a 1.6 single core with 1gb RAM. It couldn't even play a 1080p mkv file it was that slow...

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom