Question Which of these for a '5.1' home theatre (Yamaha AVR 'Silent Cinema') set up?

Dystran

Standard Member
Much appreciate any advice.

These will be >90% home theatre use rather than music.

I believe open-backed headphones to be better for a wider more natural sound field (I've no issues with sound seepage).

I have a Yamaha RX-V583 5.1 surround-based system that has 'silent cinema' (similar to Dolby Headphone), which I understand can be used with any headphone to replicate(?) surround sound.

Based on budget I narrowed down to these two but I have no idea which might be better?

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Open backed Hi-Fi headphones
AKG K701 Reference Class Open-Back, Over-Ear Premium Headphones
However, I also noticed these that specifically state 'surround sound', although I don't know if this is an advantage since I already have 'silent cinema' Sennheiser RS175 Surround Sound Wireless Headphones by Sennheiser.

Any advice on the above most welcome...

Gavin

gibbsy

Headphones can be a very personal experience. As well as sounding good they need to be comfortable, especially so if listening for long periods. AKG by their earpad design are very comfortable around the ear, but my experience with K550s shows that they do not sit tight enough.

You definitely need open back for films. I have both closed and open back designs and I do not like the closed back for film or music concerts on DVD or blu ray.

All headphones come with a lead. They will either have it terminated in a 3.5mm jack with a 6.35mm converter, or with some highend 'phones just a 6.35mm jack. Most receivers will have a 6.35mm headphone socket somewhere on the front panel.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom