1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these DVD recorders would you recommend....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by macca1974, May 4, 2004.

1. macca1974

macca1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a bit of research myself and THINK I will plump for the Sony GX3.

Basically I have £400 worth of vouchers to spend, and these are the models on offer;

Pioneer DVR3100S
    Toshiba DR-1
    Phillips DVDR70
    Phillips DVDR80
    Sony GX3
    Sony GX7 (much more expensive, but is it worth it ?!)

I already have Sky+ so a hard drive isn't essential.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Macca

2. macca1974

macca1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, I went for the Sony GX3 anyway so all is sorted.

3. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only comment on the GX7. I love it! The only downside is that it takes about 60 seconds to register the format type from disc insertion.

I regularly transfer material from SKY+ to the GX7 and there's no hassle with it. The VR mode in DVD-RW is very flexible and also allows thumbnail pictures to be inserted alongside the title name.

The GX3 I believe is similar to the GX7 but doesn't have the i-Link input for digital cameras.

I guess the choice comes down partly to what format you want to use and what you want to do with the recorded material. I like the VR mode with DVD-RW and would recommend the GX7 if you can afford it or the GX3 if not. The picture quality is excellent and it doubles as a great DVD player also.

I can't comment on the other units listed here.

4. macca1974

macca1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

I was going to plump for the GX7 but the missus wouldn't have me using nearly £700 worth of John Lewis vouchers for a DVD recorder !

I plan to do my camcorder editing on a PC so probably don't need the i-link function.

As you say, the playback quality is supposed to be second to none and that's what it will be used for 75% of the time.

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Get the RDR-GX3, great machine and looks much classier than most of its rivals.