1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which of these dvd have the best dts soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by 7 of 9, Jan 15, 2003.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dante's peak, deserado - superbit, vertical limit - superbit, evoloution, jurassic park one and two, speed collector pack, the bone collector, lord of the rings directors cut, the peacemaker, the prince of egypt, twister, u-571, waterworld, the x-files movie, band of brothers.

thanx 7 of 9

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I'm not sure how one can compare soundtracks from different movies, but those that show DTS at it's best (from the list you provide) would be:

Waterworld
    Twister
    Dante's Peak
    Peacemaker

All of which feature DTS at it's full bitrate.

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok first off Twister is not recorded at the full DTS bitrate secondly that doesnt determine whether the soundtrack will sound better as there are many factors to take into consideration, i prefer DTS to dolby and always look for DTS when buying my discs but sometimes the difference between DTS and the Dolby track is very subtle Twister is a fine example of a track where the DTS and Dolby sound alike personally all the films u mentioned sound very good so its hard to know what ur after but i think one of the best sounding discs ive had in recent months was Pearl Harbor the region 1 directors special 4 disc edition it sounds superb in DTS and i actually liked the film too, also think the remixed Vista edition of Tombstone was very special too :)

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it true that Worldworld was mixed without a dedicated LFE channel, DTS 5.0 only?

5. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yep, Waterworld DTS is indeed 5.0 and doesn't come close to some of the top DTS discs out there...... I bought it and was so disappointed by the sound quality never mind the film, but then thats a different thread altogether

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    According to my sources it was (DVD File, Widescreen Review)

I didn't say it was the determining factor, I merely stated that they were at the full b/r.

As an aside, I do think full b/r makes a difference as it happens. However without the ability to listen to the same film in both full and half b/r it remains a moot point.

Waterworld is recorded in DTS 5.0, but there is no loss of LFE as a result (it's simply carried by the FL & FR). I'd say the sound was exemplary on that disc.

All my comments refer to the R1 versions of course.

7. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    All of them have excellent soundtracks but my favourite of
    the lot is Desperado. Excellent clarity and the surround effects
    are amazing.Its also IMO the best film on your list.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    gladiator r1 has the best dts sound....so i think

9. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twister is definitely a full bit-rate DTS titles, as are all of Warners' DTS titles. Prince of Egypt is also, in addition to those listed by Confucius.

All of the films listed have quite different soundtracks, so it's hard to say which is 'best'. Lord of the Rings: FOTR and Jurassic Park are excellent all-round soundtracks (and fun) while Peacemaker is an excellent example of a pristine, layered and well-designed track. If you're looking for an impressive DTS demonstration disc I would also recommend Titan AE or The Haunting.

Adam

10. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks for the info on Prince of Egypt re: DTS b/r Adam.

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can u please explain how Twister can be a full DTS bitrate title ? indeed how can all of Warners DTS titles be full DTS bitrate they include directors commentaries and Dolby Digital 5.1 how is this possible ? think about it, the reason DTS introduced the half bit rate DTS was because u could'nt fit full DTS bitrate on a disc and have extras, i think its highly unlikely Twister or other titles which contain extras and directors commentaries are full DTS, would be very nice if they were though but i don't think its possible as there isnt enough space on the disc

12. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quickm flick on of the bitrate meter on the dvd player....(hold on...), aaaahhh, indeed! Twister has a full bitrate DTS track.

FoxyMulder, the times they have a changed, compression is a LOT better than it used to be, and i've always concluded that DTS ain't that much better than Dolby. I've done too many side by side comparisons now to care, Dolby does the biz every time!

If it weren't for the 4db lift in the encoding stage, DTS would sound identical.

But that's another thread entirely ;)

FWIW, a great DTS track lurks on the Prince of Egypt R1, absolutely awesome...

Westy

13. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Correct but a it's a shame the film is full of terrible songs! I had the DVD and sold it on......... not an enjoyable watch

14. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    FM, the full/half b/r debate is a non-issue.

The Warner DTS releases ARE full b/r.

The picture may be compressed a little more to allow this.