1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these cards would you go for ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Cyclone, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm only just getting into all this Windows MCE stuff, and the more I read the more confusing everything gets !

I need a tuner card which works with Windows MCE and will be fed by a SKY digital box. (so only need single tuner...correct ?)

I was looking at the PVR-150 MCE, but then looking at other posts on this forum and a couple of reviews, the ATI 550 Theatre Pro cards look good. Then there's the NVTV cards.

First of all if anyone could recommend which card they think is best quality wise, but also which works best with MCE (looking at old threads the ATI 550 had issues with drivers on MCE, this still the case ?)

I also need a remote control, which the ATI 550 comes with, is this any good or am I better off getting the Microsoft one ?

The cards I have looked at are the following:

Hauppauge WinTVR-PVR 150 MCE

XFX NVTV Mpeg2 Tv Tuner: http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10283103&pid=207

ATI Tul 550 Pro Theatre: http://www.tul.com.tw/global/productlist.aspx?folderid=7&cat1=45&cat2=129&cat3=315

The NVTV card does not mention Windows MCE, so if it doesn't come with drivers, can I use the ones from the Nvidia site ?

Sorry for the silly questions, but just don't want to end up with a card that won't work.

Also, is it possible for the sky channel to be changed by the program guide ? I seem to remember reading some cards come with a 'magic eye' to send a signal to the sky box. This correct and if so which cards have this ?

From what I have read, I would like to go for the ATI Tul 550 pro card, anyone have any reason why not ? Help much appreciated :lease:

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    There is a review of the two cards here, this should help you decide

LINK

To some it up the NVTV is the overall better card, and the cheapest to, but I myself would go for the ATI, but that's just a personal choice...

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    IMO I would go for either Hauppauge PVR-350 or NVTV if you read that review the NVTV card beats them all for picture quality which is the main factor when getting a card. I have an NVTV card and it says on the box MCE compatible and includes the drivers. The reason I suggested a PVR-350 is because it has a differnt chipset to the PVR-150 so its a lot better I can't seem to find any revies comparing these 2 cards so all I can say is I am actually using the PVR-350 and am impressed with the picture quality I may install the NVTV card for comparison when I have some spare time.

4. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    The "magic eye" you refer to comes with the MCE remote and reciever that you will need to control MCE via remote control (available on ebay). When you first set up MCE it will ask you to point your sky remote at the mce reciever and press and hold button 1 (I think), it will then configure your guide to your set top box ir signals. You then stick the "magic eye" on the front of your sky box (the other end connects to the back of the MCE ir reciever) and MCE sends the signals to tell the sky box to change channels and you will usually end up on the correct channel. Anyway this is not dependant on the tv tuner card you choose (so long as it is MCE compatable). Phew....

5. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the replies so far...

Sandman, you say the 'magic eye' comes with the MCE remote, is this the same remote : http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8268&GroupID=0 ??

Also I still can't find anywhere that sells the NVTV cards (and in stock), StakTrading is close to me but they have now discontinued them, Savastore are out of stock.... anyone know of anywhere ?

6. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    here you go mate.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=156959

7. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for that :thumbsup: and to think I looked at Scan first :rolleyes:

So, if I go for that card, I assume the Microsoft remote will work fine ?
    Also, the details on XFX web site do not state drivers for MCE, so can I download from Nvidia ?

8. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You can assume that the std XP drivers work mate I have the USA version of this card and it says on the box its MCE 2005 compatible I would think your supplied drivers will be fine if not then I would say either XFX or nvidia will have them if you have any problems let me know and I can always email you my drivers.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for everybodys help, and cheers for the offer of sending your drivers if there's any problems :thumbsup:

10. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    The Hauppauge WinTV PVR350 is a more expensive version of the PVR250 with a hardware MPEG2 decoder & TV out neither of which is supported by MCE. I haven't compared the two cards but have read that the picture quality is pretty similar for 150 & 250. It's certainly not worth paying extra for the 350. I have used the Nvidia cards & PQ is comparable to Hauppauge.