1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these AV receiver / amps?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Scoobby_Don't, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Scoobby_Don't

Scoobby_Don't

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying my first amp for home cinema.

I am looking at either

Denon AVR-1905 £230
    Pioneer VSX-D814 £220
    Yamaha RXV-650 £270

The denon gets good reviews but most of the shops that sell it for <£230 are out of stock at the moment.
    I have just bought a Pioneer 575 DVD player and thats why I am thinking about the pioneer amp.
    The yamaha 650 is on special at richer sounds for £270, is it worth the extra £50?

The amp would be used 90% for movies 10% music. I want to be able to connect my telewest digital box and a dvd recorder or hdd recorder in the future. I don't have a sub or surround speakers yet but I picked up some KEF Cresta 30 front floor standars speakers pretty cheap and will be using these.

Sorry for the long post but I need advice / suggestions on what to buy. Thanks

2. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same choice of you and opted for the Yahama RXV 650 (also purchased at Richer Sounds).

I was swung in my decision by the number of cracking reviews it had.

I also noted that in one of the home cinema magazines this month it won the product of the year award.

I could not find a single bad word about the system which is unusual as normally there is some publication that dislikes a product.

I have not had the opportunity to try it yet as my Tannoy 5.1 fx speakers are only arriving today but i can say that the build quality is amazing.

However each to their own

3. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I brought my RX-V640 from Richer's about 3 months ago. I'm extremely pleased, as it does everything I need, (plus no doubt a whole host of things I don't).

Is used around 50:50 movies / music, and am delighted with output from both.

Would have no hesitation in recommending!

4. smiley1

smiley1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Pioneer 812 (which is very similar to 814) for one year now and i am very satisfied with it.
    I bought it after listening to a couple of competitive av amps from other companies.
    It really drives my Dali's fine :clap: .

5. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the Yamaha i have one & it's very good,the Yamaha's are better than all the other's on movies,& the 650 have very good stereo sound (esp. through the Pure Direct mode).

6. gremlin91

gremlin91
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how good is the stereo sound, loads of people say that av amps don't do music, but a lot of people seem quite happy with them. It's a quandry.

7. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more person in doubt here - also thinking about the Pioneer or the Yamaha. The Denon is simply out of the question since it doesn't have auto calibration.

I really looking for the one which has the best processor/decoding stage, because my plan is to hook it up to a separate power amp later on. :thumbsup:

For me it will be used mostly for movies, and also some console gaming and casual/background music listening.

Any suggestions Pioneer or Yamaha...?
    :lease:

/Tommy

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the new 650/750/1500/2500 are great with music using the PureDirectMode.

9. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really much more into movies...

10. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a very satisfied 814 owner, bought it after several people praised it on here and I've really not got a bad word to say about it for movie use. For music use it's possibly not the best choice, but like you I'm using it almost exclusively for movies.

11. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the yamaha 650 for 270 last saturday. I'm still testing all the features, and I only have two front speakers for the moment (which I'll use for rears after I get good floorstanders next month). I have tried various types of music and it's quite good. For movies, and also for games, it's quite impressive. I own the pioneer dv 565 whic is similar to yours, and detail is very stunning, compared to my previous stereo system. More detail for surround (tested blade 2 intr4o sequence using only the surround speakers for fun, no dialogue, and you hear so may details it's stunning!)

I can't say what bass with sub is nor what the complete 6.1 package will sound like, but I expect a lot given what I heard so far with only two speakers (gale gold monitors, had a tiny budget before payday : /)

12. Flagpole

Flagpole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I brought the 650 6 months ago and was very impressed with it. However, the processor has just gone and speaking to the place I bought it from, this is happening more and more. Still, was very impressed with it but am a little p1ssed off that I have to take it back after only 6 months and then have to be without it for a few weeks while it is being repaired! Just thought I should let you know...