1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these 5.1 receivers is best?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GazW, Jun 15, 2005.

1. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm fairly new to these forums (well, I haven't been here for nearly 3 years according to the site!) and was wondering if any of you could offer me some advice on choosing the right receiver for my requirements.

I have narrowed it down to a shortlist of three, which are all more or less around my budget. My main requirements are that it should deal with the usual Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic II, etc, which these all do, and 96/24 quality sound, as I will be listening to SACDs. I will be connecting the following items to it:

VCR (RCA connection)
    TV (preferably digital coax out or failing that RCA)
    DVD Player (either digital coax or digital optical)
    PC (either digital coax or digital optical, depending on what's left)

The three receivers I've shortlisted are the Pioneer VSX-D514, now discontinued but I can (hopefully) get one for £149.99, the Pioneer VSX-515-S (£199.95 inc. VAT - before shopping around more) and the JVC RX6042, which is £119.95 at Richer Sounds and I could get money knocked off when I buy my Pioneer DV-575 DVD player at Richer Sounds at the same time.

Here are links to the specs of each:

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_20404.html (they don't sell it any more but I can still get it elsewhere)

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10526&taxonomy_id=42-98 (There's also the new 415 (http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10524&taxonomy_id=42-98) which I may also consider - there's something that put me off this one but I can't remember what though!)

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=jvrx6042 (best I can do for this one) - link to it on Richer Sounds: http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=JVC-RX6042

Obviously the Pioneer VSX-515 is more expensive, but I'm not entirely sure I'm willing to spend £200 unless it's REALLY worth it! The VSX-D514 is cheaper by £50 and has the same digital inputs (2 coaxial and 1 optical), and since I've read and heard that coaxial is better than optical, would seem to make it a better bet than the JVC. However, being the oldest, the VSX-514 uses the oldest Digital Signal Processor (Motorola 150 MIPS) as opposed to the 160 MIPS used in the JVC and the 180 MIPS in the newer VSX-515. I don't know what this means entirely, but is it worth taking any notice of this? The only other thing I appear to lose out on by going for the 514 is the Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, and the calibration thing. That calibration feature on the 515 is what made me put it on my shortlist really, because it would make setting up a lot easier, particularly since it's going in a loft conversion (bedroom) with a staircase running through the middle, which creates the problem of having to have the TV at one side of the staircase, so maybe that would help.

Anyway, sorry to make this such a long posting! I would appreciate any opinions and advice on this as I hope to make a purchase soon.

Thanks,

Gaz

P.S. if anyone knows what (reasonably priced) speakers could go with this that support 96/24 sound (I believe I only need this on the front L + R) please feel free to post it here.

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gaz

Ive got the JVC rx5032 which is vitually identically specced to the rx6042. It retails here in SA for ZAR1800 which equtes to about GBP150.00 which is great bang for buck. It is by no means cutting edge or 'big room' kit but its no slouch either and does perform admirably for its price. Mine was my first step into home cinema and is now on its way out with a Yammy 2500 on its way but I will still keep it and use it in my bedroom for a second 5.1 setup :D .

Skinny

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If your only after 5.1 then you have no need for DTS-ES or DD-EX, although if one has DPLII(x) and the other only has DPL 1 (dolby pro logic) then the prologic 2 is alot better also DTS:NEO is good too.
    These are used for turning a 2 channel source (i.e. normal TV and even music and DVD/Tapes with only stereo) into 5.1 or more channels, and DTS:NEO and DPLII(x) do a very good job of it.

4. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your opinions. I am beginning to think more towards the Pioneer VSX-515, mainly because it does have the edge over the other two feature wise. It's just a case of shopping around now I suppose; the cheapest I've found it so far is £199.95 inc. VAT and P&P at www.hifisuppliers.co.uk, and I'm about to start looking elsewhere.

Can anyone recommend suitable speakers? I need the front stereo speakers to be 96kHz compatible for SACD playback, but I don't want to spend a lot at the moment. Maybe mixing and matching speakers would be my best bet?

Thanks again,

Gaz

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Ask on the speaker forum, people will general recomend the cantons although i'm not sure if they would 'match' the pioneers more forward sound.

I'm sure there will be penty of advice given, tell us what is your realistic budget and is music more import than films, what sort of music your interested in ect...

Mainly budget and what sort of stuff you'd be listen to.

6. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks very much for the reply - I'll post it on the speakers forum.

Gaz