Which of these 3 (Yamaha, Denon, Marantz)

J

Jpfahy

Hi,
I was wondering if any of the following recievers allow you to type in distances for each speaker from the listening position, and thus automatically work out the appropriate delays so that sound hits you all at once?(I'm mainly concerned with the rear channels)

Yamaha RXV-630RDS
Denon 1802
Marantz 5200

(the 3 that I've shortlisted for my next purchase;))

Also, I'm mostly into movies and was wondering which of these recievers (in your opinions) would go best with some MISSION 753's, 75C & 771's?

Thanks
Jpf

I am very intrested in what our learned friends have to say about this subject as I am about to part with hard earned cash on similar equipment ,well that is the master plan anyway.

The Denon AVR1802 and Marantz SR5200 are both old models now - the Denon's replacement, the AVR1803 is available now, and the Marantz SR5300 is imminent.

Depends what features you want, what sound you like etc etc.
Of the 3 you mentioned, I'd probably go for the Yamaha personally (poss the Marantz if it was a good deal).
That said, I'd probably not go for any of them - I'd take a look at the AVR1803, SR5300 (poss the 4300 too) and poss the Kenwood KRFX9060 and Pioneer VSX811 too.
Not heard any of them though, so you'd probably need to get a listen yourself first. The Kenwood looks very well specced for £400 - if it sounds decent too, it could well be a bit of a bargain!

Depends what you want though - none of these new models will probably sound that much better than their predecessors (if at all). But they will have new features/formats etc.
If all you want is DD/DTS5.1 though, then there are other bargains around to be had too!

The 630 is pretty good if you ask me. Not as woolly as previous yamahas

The Marantz 5200 is still a very nice amp in it's group. I own one and I am very pleased with it. It's very good with music as well as films. With the new models on the cards I would wait and listen to them if I were you. If you can't wait go and check them out and If you find a good deal it's worth buying. I have heard good things about the Yamaha also.

The rule is though have a listen if you can and see which one you like best.

The 5200 allows you to enter distances and calculates the delays accordingly. Even allows you to select the units. Cant answer for the others.

Demoed the Yamaha against the Marantz. Personally liked the Marantz better. Whatever the Yamaha did (which it did well) the Marantz seemed to do with more control. And you will find if you are using it for stereo its much much better than the others.

Although new models are about to come out, if you are not bothered about DTS ES(matrix/disctrete), Circle surround, DD EX and DTS Neo6 then you wont be missing out. I dont have a rear channel and when I do the 5200 does have a matrix of sorts for the rear channel. I only ever use DD, DTS, PL2 and stereo, never any bells and whistles (except for the night setting). For ease of use and lack of distractions (sound modes) the SR5200gets my vote.

I think the three that you have chosen are all good amps. But its very much down to personal preference when they are that similar.

don,t really know about the settings your on about. i have the denon 1802 , and have just got round to tweaking it and reading the manual in depth. the denon throws effects around the room no problem. it has a solid build, and the gold version looks more expensive than it is!i got mine for 250. the only thing i have to mention is the 1802 wont play 5.1 off jurassic park 3 and pearl harbour.the dts tracks work ok! i e mailed denon, and they said"this problem effects only the 1602/1802,and also models from kenwood, onkyo!,we are looking into this matter with touchstone,dolby,and our jap engineers"they then said they would add my details to their data base.i have another90 odd dvd,s and have had no problems wth these!as far as speakers go iam using 2pairs of mission773e,s and 771 for the center, and the sound is amazing and i am well pleased. it may not be a reference system but it meets my needs.....i don,t have a sub any advice anyone?

Thanks for all these opinions, much appreciated indeed :D

Nice one for the info on the Marantz nunew33 ;)

I was at the AVExpo show yesterday and gave the Marantz 5300 a quick look/listen. A very nice machine, just a shame that the DENON and Yamaha weren't sitting next to it for a quick contest.

:confused:

Forgot to mention speakers, Mission 773e, 77c1 and 77ds. A sub as well (to embarassed to admit what it is - but it definately adds welly to action movies,dont use it for music).

Originally posted by nunew33
A sub as well (to embarassed to admit what it is
Go on, do tell :D

clonetrooper41,
I've had the MJ Acoustics Pro50 Subwoofer recommended to me by several people, and am putting the pennies away to save for one ;)

It's about £250-£300 depending on where you buy it from

Originally posted by lynx

Go on, do tell :D

See if you can guess, it looks like a cybermans head without the handlebars.There was alower lower powered model, in the range, that looked like a snail. Im sure I was the only customer to buy one. And to think I chose it in favour of a Yamaha SW70 or something like that. STill it does the job, just about and it even has a light on the back for ambient back of the sofa lighting!!!!

I will post an image of it If I remember, Im sure it will give you all a laugh

In my defence I was an uneducated early adopter and paid over the odds to get into prologic in the form of a midi. Part of that mistake was buying extra speakers at way over the odds to match the midi.

No there is no defence. Owning this subwoofer is a crime!

Sigh, the shame. I have a Kenwood SW700 sub woofer that looks like the attachment. But it does have a lamp at the back!!!!

Attachments

• shame.jpg
    shame.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 552
The Yamaha 630 is still not as good as the Marantz 5200. I found that the 5200 reproduced the music element of any movie better and more naturally than the Yam. Also, the 630 does NOT have any kind of OSD. This can be a real pain in the bum ! If you don't have, or don't plan to get a rear centre and you dont need PL2, then look at the Yam 620 instead - £199 from Richer sounds !!
For my money I bought the Marantz 5200. It just sounded more natural and open than the Yamaha 630. I didn't want to wait for the Marantz 5300 as the last thing that I want is another bloody speaker behind me ( or anywhere else for that matter !!)

The Yamaha 630 is still not as good as the Marantz 5200. I found that the 5200 reproduced the music element of any movie better and more naturally than the Yam. Also, the 630 does NOT have any kind of OSD. This can be a real pain in the bum ! If you don't have, or don't plan to get a rear centre and you dont need PL2, then look at the Yam 620 instead - £199 from Richer sounds !!
For my money I bought the Marantz 5200. It just sounded more natural and open than the Yamaha 630. I didn't want to wait for the Marantz 5300 as the last thing that I want is another bloody speaker behind me ( or anywhere else for that matter !!)

Originally posted by nunew33
Sigh, the shame. I have a Kenwood SW700 sub woofer that looks like the attachment. But it does have a lamp at the back!!!!

You were not alone in wanting then buying this sub!
It may be a shame to own one, but it isn't a crime! I had loads of customers (mainly young lads who like the look of this sub) asking me if the shop I worked for could get this sub not so many years ago! cost about £250- rrp if memory serves me well.
I was happy with my Yammy sub until recently, upgraded to an MJ pro 50 in black, a better sub, ideal for my small room.
Worth 300 notes IMO.

Ravi I agree, but It depends on what your focus is. I went for the 5200 too, but its too easy to say its better. I found it really hard to decide between the two, even the shop did. They also said the Marantz had the better sound.

Some people like the sound modes - the yamaha wins

Some people like to have all the formats - the yamaha wins

The OSD on the marantz is pamts so doesnt count

Some people like loud brash sound which, for some, is better for movies - the Yamaha wins.

For sound integrity and control the Marantz wins, but sound integrity isnt always the deciding factor.

As for the, sub I paid £150 about 6-7 years ago!!

nunew33. You're right of course.

It's all totally subjective and in a constant state of flux. I went over to a friend's house today and he'd just bought a Yamaha 630 and guess what ? The damned thing sounded better than my Marantz. Now I'm ****ed off and confused. It never sounded this good when I compared the two side by side !!
I guess the moral of the tale is - make your choice and never, ever listen to anyone else's equipment after you've bought yours !!

Its maybe a little unfair to call the Yam 630 loud and brash. I think theyve calmed it down compared to previous models. I was shocked having bought one to replace my SONY 830 how smooth it was, yet it still retains every ounce of detail(with films).

Having said that coming from the SONY 830 anything would.. i still love that too though ;) Just made your ears hurt sometimes.

Hi Ravi. Don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe your friend have different speakers, cable & interconnect which will all have postitive effect on the Y630 to sound better then your Marantz. And not forgetting that room acoustic make a HUGE differences in sound. But I would agree with you on the last point. Purchase once made, NEVER go out and compare it with others....a good ostrich approach to contentment. If you are still not satisfied, bring along your Y630 to his house and listen again.

btw, the present 630 is a very different beast from previous 596 that I had. 596 have more slam and bang but the 630 are more musical. I would even call it warm sounding.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom